• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

looking to trade

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
If you make knives, I am looking to trade leather knife sheaths for a round knife or Alaskan ulu
I have the bone for the handle
1627326096747.png

If you make knives, I am looking to trade leather knife sheaths for a round knife or Alaskan ulu
I have the bone for the handle
View attachment 70066
Hubby smiths. He's supposed to be making me a leather knife "in his spare time." 😂 Are you specifically after an ulu? That one is Damascus which is beautiful.

I have a pile of RR spikes. under a tree in the front yard. that is what I would like to use as the metal.
I would love a Damascus ulu . Yes I like the feel of the ulu
I would think railroad spikes are low carbon steel since they have to tough enough to handle a lot of vibration without braking. Damascus steel is higher in carbon in order to hold a good edge.

Just guessing

Ben

high carbon spikes were last used in the 70's
so i wonder what year these old spikes that were removed by the rr were made
interesting question. spikes made after the 70's are 20 points before the 70s 40/50
If I was in a pinch I would try...

1)
Take a file to it and see if the file bites in or skates off the metal.

2)
Heat with a torch until it is a straw color yellow then quench it. Repeated #1 to see it can be hardened.

The above is subject to change if others can be of more help.

Ben

Latest posts

Back