Lost sense of taste and smell

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backlash

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Lately I have noticed I don't taste or smell things like I used to.
I know that's a symptom of Covid but I tested negative yesterday.
I had Covid in December but I'm just now noticing the problem
My taste and smell are about 10 to 20% of what they were.
Sour is almost completely gone. Spicy has very little affect.
Sweet is still pretty strong.
The worst thing is I can barely taste bacon.
I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste awhile back so I went back to Crest to see if that improves things.
Anyone have any words of advice?
This really sucks.
I have read loss of taste and smell can be caused by age and I have plenty of age so maybe it's something I'll just have to live with.
Maybe @DrJenner has an answer.
I really don't want to go see a doctor.

My dad is 87, Backlash. He always complains nothing taste like it used to. He’s been complaining about that for quite a while, a few years I’d say. Probably does have something to do with aging. When he doesn’t believe me when I say that, then I just tell them it must’ve been something that happened in the Navy. God only knows what they did during those weekly dental appointments during basic. ;)

Best advice I can give you is “send me your bacon.” You won’t have to worry about not being able to taste it anymore.

Lately I have noticed I don't taste or smell things like I used to.
I know that's a symptom of Covid but I tested negative yesterday.
I had Covid in December but I'm just now noticing the problem
My taste and smell are about 10 to 20% of what they were.
Sour is almost completely gone. Spicy has very little affect.
Sweet is still pretty strong.
The worst thing is I can barely taste bacon.
I switched to Sensodyne toothpaste awhile back so I went back to Crest to see if that improves things.
Anyone have any words of advice?
This really sucks.
I have read loss of taste and smell can be caused by age and I have plenty of age so maybe it's something I'll just have to live with.
Maybe @DrJenner has an answer.
I really don't want to go see a doctor.
Have you changed anything up? Meds, toothpaste can cause this, but I would say medication side effects are probably the number one culprit. Sometimes even the same medications but the manufacturer uses different additives, which can also cause this.
Age is also a factor, but you’re not that old yet. 😉
If it was Covid, you should’ve noticed that back in Dec.

There may be some advantages to not being able to taste and smell in a SHTF situation. I have known people who repeatedly tested negative for the virus, while experiencing various symptoms, including no sense of taste or smell. Perhaps there is a variant that might not show up on any of the tests.

There may be some advantages to not being able to taste and smell in a SHTF situation. I have known people who repeatedly tested negative for the virus, while experiencing various symptoms, including no sense of taste or smell. Perhaps there is a variant that might not show up on any of the tests.
Home/RAT tests are not very good at detecting the current Omicron variant.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/rapid-covid-tests-false-negatives-rcna33502
For those that like to read the technical detail, here is the research paper quoted by NBC

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...ferral&utm_campaign=ftm_links&utm_term=061522
In summary, several studies where they tested people with RATs and lab based PCR showed that for every 100 infected people you test with a RAT, you only get about 63-65 positive test results.

Most of the false negatives are from people who are relatively asymptomatic - so those that don't get very sick, but may well lose their sense of smell/taste.

It makes sense that the most detectable cases would be those with the highest viral loads........

If you just lost your sense of smell/taste, then it is likely you have or just had COVID again and are/were mostly asymptomatic.

It is just a pity that the symptom you did get is the one that takes away the joy of bacon.

I know the lost of taste and smell due to Covid. Yes, I had it along with my unvaccinated Hunny who is 21 1/2 years older than me. His case was more problematic then mine, but we both survived and now have the natural immunity!

@Tommyice, @Pearl I'm not sending anyone my bacon. The Navy? Maybe he's onto something. 😄
@DrJenner I'm hoping it the Sensodyne toothpaste. After my dental crown 2 months ago the dentist suggested I use it. No new meds. I only take 2 Rx plus a multi vitamin and a low dose aspirin.
@Hardcalibres You may be correct.
Whatever is causing the loss I hope it isn't permanent.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions who to send my bacon to.

My grandma had loss of taste and smell. She passed long before covid, so it wasn't covid related. There are certain vitamin deficiencies that can cause it too. Vit B12, Zinc, or Vit D. Double check your last bloodwork and look for any vitamins you may need to increase.

Don't forget to test again for covid. You can test negative for covid with just one symptom, and a few days later test positive.

Yes, she she works at UCLA medical research laboratory, so she is required to get every vaccination and booster those liberal instructors demand.
I am sorry to say that the vaxx and boosters are probably her problem. The whole world was lied to about the "vaccines" and "boosters" and actual studies happening in other countries are pointing in that direction. It seems that they are actually breaking down your own bodies "self defense" to prevent infections. I see more and more reinfections happening in the vaccinated verses the unvaccinated, that caught and then gained a natural immunity.

I am sorry to say that the vaxx and boosters are probably her problem. The whole world was lied to about the "vaccines" and "boosters" and actual studies happening in other countries are pointing in that direction. It seems that they are actually breaking down your own bodies "self defense" to prevent infections. I see more and more reinfections happening in the vaccinated verses the unvaccinated, that caught and then gained a natural immunity.
I was afraid to say what you said Dani! I totally agree!!

I lost my sense of smell 50 years ago in a bad motorcycle accident. The only things I sense or taste as aromatics seems to be fresh baked bread smells and road paving tar. Gasoline smells also if I am standing in a puddle of it. As far as taste the sweet/sour/spicy still comes thru.

Latest posts

Back