Love-lies-bleeding, foxtail amaranth, Amaranthus caudatus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wonder if Elton John named that plant,lol.It is unusual plant name though .

1620853359054.png

I had talked of planting some Amaranth a while ago and was advised that is becomes almost wild and will self seed and take over areas in your yard where you might really want it. I think it is beautiful and a good alternative to grains with gluten for those who are sensitive.

I had talked of planting some Amaranth a while ago and was advised that is becomes almost wild and will self seed and take over areas in your yard where you might really want it. I think it is beautiful and a good alternative to grains with gluten for those who are sensitive.
This is true, the wild amaranth grows around pig pens, the soil is rich from waste.
Father called it pig weed & we never knew it was an ancient grain or that the leaf could be eaten like collards.

I know it as Amaranth, never heard the other names. I grew some one year and have seed for several varities. It was prolific, was a real pretty plant when the heads come on. The type I used (don't recall the name) grew over 8' tall, reminded me of sunflowers in that regard. I planted maybe 20' of row and it made a pure wall. We had chickens at the time and fed the whole plants to them. They loved it.
Down side, the seed spread easily and has come back to some degree since. But easy enough to contain if you keep it mowed.
The volume of seed produced would make it a good crop for protein and animal feed. It would be very easy to expand your seed supply for the future, or just let it reseed itself.

I know it as Amaranth, never heard the other names. I grew some one year and have seed for several varities. It was prolific, was a real pretty plant when the heads come on. The type I used (don't recall the name) grew over 8' tall, reminded me of sunflowers in that regard. I planted maybe 20' of row and it made a pure wall. We had chickens at the time and fed the whole plants to them. They loved it.
Down side, the seed spread easily and has come back to some degree since. But easy enough to contain if you keep it mowed.
The volume of seed produced would make it a good crop for protein and animal feed. It would be very easy to expand your seed supply for the future, or just let it reseed itself.
Do you think wild birds would eat the seeds?

Latest posts

Back