Low decibel generators at about 7000 watts

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskajohn

Bugged out
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I need a backup generator that will be an upgrade from my noisy 5.5 KW Onan generator. The Onan is fairly low noise, but it still rates a 69 dB(A) where the Honda come in at 52 to 58 dB(A). When sound travels forever on a cold winter night. I am looking for something that can do 120/240V, and the Onan is only 120v. The pricetgage of the Honda eu 7000is is a jaw dropping $5K. Is there a generator out there with 7KW, 120/240V that's as fuel efficient as the Honda, and less than 60 dB(A) that comes in significantly less than the Honda? Quiet is essential, as I can hear a mouse fart from a mile away in the dead of winter.

Honda EU7000iS Super Quiet Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

Making a sound reducing wall.
Use a 2X8 plate (2X12 is even better) with 2X4 studs staggered so the sound doesn't carry through the studs. Fill the void with fibreglass insulation. the fibreglass breaks up the sound waves.

You will see this some gun ranges, with shelters for shooting, where the fibreglass is covered, on the inside, with wire mesh allowing the noise to go in but come out greatly reduced.

Here are a couple tricks that I have not yet tried.

Bury a 55 gallon drum and run your exhaust into the ground. Make sure to have drain holes as 85% of your exhaust is water vapour.

Run your exhaust into a chimney and direct the sound straight up.

Funny, I posted a couple days ago about automotive heat & sound padding.

I went the zombie box website. It looks like a metal box lined with 2 inches of automotive heat & sound padding with an exhaust fan on top. The box acts like an expansion chamber. How hard would it be to make one? Even better, find the plans? I've seen similar on large military generators. There has to be plans for one of these sound reduction boxes floating around somewhere.

I need a backup generator that will be an upgrade from my noisy 5.5 KW Onan generator. The Onan is fairly low noise, but it still rates a 69 dB(A) where the Honda come in at 52 to 58 dB(A). When sound travels forever on a cold winter night. I am looking for something that can do 120/240V, and the Onan is only 120v. The pricetgage of the Honda eu 7000is is a jaw dropping $5K. Is there a generator out there with 7KW, 120/240V that's as fuel efficient as the Honda, and less than 60 dB(A) that comes in significantly less than the Honda? Quiet is essential, as I can hear a mouse fart from a mile away in the dead of winter.

Honda EU7000iS Super Quiet Inverter Generator | Honda Generators

I know a couple of people that have gotten these WEN Generators and have been happy with them. The model I linked is a 4k peak but at a fraction of the cost of the big Honda. You could buy 2 of them and one of their parallel kits and still be under $3k.

Occasionally they will put their little 2250 gens on sale for around $385.

I know a couple of people that have gotten these WEN Generators and have been happy with them. The model I linked is a 4k peak but at a fraction of the cost of the big Honda. You could buy 2 of them and one of their parallel kits and still be under $3k.

Thanks! Let me look at the link to see if I can see what the dB(A) is!

edit, that was quick: (58 dBA at quarter load, 22 feet) That looks competitive!

Those look nice and the cogeneration option is down right sexy!

Ben

Thanks! Let me look at the link to see if I can see what the dB(A) is!

edit, that was quick: (58 dBA at quarter load, 22 feet) That looks competitive!

Bear in mind that decibels are logarithmic.

So the Honda has a quarter load dB(A) rating of 52dB and the WEN has a quarter load dB(A) rating of 58dB.

If you put those numbers into this calculator:

https://rechneronline.de/log-scale/decibel.php
The WEN is almost exactly twice/double as loud as the Honda (at quarter load).

Hay or straw bales around a generator will help absorb a lot of the sound. Piping the sound in to a hole in the ground also helps quite a bit.

Honda's have been my go to generators for years. Yep they hurt like hell to buy and or replace but at the end of their life are probably the least expensive of all IF YOU USE IT! Every Honda I have owned that I bought new has lasted over 23,000 hours. Which is well over 1.3 million miles if you convert 60 miles to the hour! I also only run Mobil 1 oil after the break in period.

Back