LTS food.....any low carb kit suggestions?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I got an email of some sales from a site I use and every time I consider buying a LTS kit, I decide not to b/c there is a lot of pasta and oats included in them. We have gone the low carb route so I don't want those kits. Instead, I have bought some individual egg, bacon, dried meats, cheese, etc. cans or pouches instead. I was just wondering if anyone has found any good deals on keto or low carb kits?

When I started in food storage, this was a big concern of mine. I try to eat low carb, but it is hard to find low carb long term storage food. I like to eat fresh foods, but that is almost impossible to store. Canned, dehydrated and frozen is as close as it gets. I finally decided to go with carbohydrates in storage, because they were the most reasonably priced and seemed to have the longest shelf life. I don't eat them much, but do here and there. I could stock up on a variety of LTS that way, which seemed to be the best strategy I could come up with. I have tried to acquire low carb food, but I find that salad greens do have a short shelf life, maybe a week or so. I know that greens can be dehydrated, but even then, they don't have a very long shelf life. I think it is better to grow fresh veggies in pots in the house, but that is not ideal and often has been a complete failure.

Kits no, individual components yes. I have however made several homemade "Keto MRE's" using things like beef jerky, dried beef, canned chicken, select potted meats, nuts, seeds, etc. You can also find things like keto meal bars and Paleo snack bags (which are usually close to keto). I store a lot of 10# cans of freeze dried meats, eggs, cheese, low carb veggies, berries, etc. I also stock coconut oil packets, something that @Grimm put me on to. My wife and I also can (jar) various cubed meats, green beans, and other veggies.

As my older 30 day buckets pass the 10-12 year mark, I have been pulling them open and trading off the non-low carb meals for lower carb items. I usually come out ahead or at least even.

All of us have different dietary needs. I have never bought any 'kits' for this reason. In my case I have to eat gluten-free. I eat carbs now and other than not being able to eat gluten/wheat I am on no special diet. There are many things I do not 'want' to eat. Luckily for everyone there are countless varieties available in LTS foods. Just buy the select items you want to eat and can eat and don't buy kits.

If I'm in an LTS situation I think I would want carbs. Being overweight will probably not be a problem. Starving to death now that would be a problem.

Eating low carb creates a greatly reduced caloric requirement (as in what your body actually needs and not what your mind wants) and increases one's ability to fast for longer periods of time. This is accomplished through hormonal control which regulates hunger, cravings, etc. If the world enters a time where food is very hard to come by, those who eat keto will have a far easier time adapting and suffer far less. But eventually most of us will end up being keto, like all humans were for thousands of years.

Interesting thread and question. Like a few of the others, I don't do kits. I have a family member who is all about having LTS but doesn't eat them or necessarily those foods currently. She does do low carb but relies on purchased items. (She's a dear person. I don't mean this in a mean way as she's far better off than most.) My thought though is to have a good working pantry - somewhere in the neighborhood of a year's worth of food (for us primarily meats and veggies.) I do have some dehydrated veggies that I've hot jar canned which keep a decade or more. My real thing is being able to replenish the supply. I am far from a professional gardener and even worse at saving seeds. But I continually try and do preserve what we grow. I'm not a great hunter but know how. I would like to learn more in the way of traps and snares for small animals. I'm not sure if there is a certain length of time for which one is supposed to be prepared, but figure there's another shot the next growing season as long as I have seeds.

I always figured that I needed enough food to cover for a bad harvest year. That means about two years worth of good food without rationing.

Wheat sprouts are much in the way of sprouts compared to sunflower sprouts. I sprout wheat, sunflower, and whole oats every day for animal feed. The sunflower, I plant the sprout for fodder. Feed it to my animals in pans when it's about 4 inches tall. Wheat grass is just as easy. I have a wheat grass hand crank juicer, but don't care for the taste. One of our daughters loves it, tho. Order some sprouting seed from Amazon, and store that. Microgreens are tasty enough. We have a big patch growing right now indoors that we eat.

To tell you the truth I have never even thought about it. If I was in a situation where I was using my long term supplies I don't think I would be worrying about carbs. I would want every carb I could get for energy to get through the day.

To tell you the truth I have never even thought about it. If I was in a situation where I was using my long term supplies I don't think I would be worrying about carbs. I would want every carb I could get for energy to get through the day.
Oh, I certainly agree. IF things got that bad, I'd eat it. But, on the other hand, I also like to have preferred foods on hand if at all possible. Part of the idea of prepping for me is that I can still be comfortable while others may have to deal with whatever they have. I have some kits and lots of pasta, oatmeal, rice, and beans stored from many years ago when I ate differently. Those foods are staying right where they are. I have no intention of eating them.....but I will if I have to.

All fat and sugar calories produce energy, the difference is that carbs (glucose / sugar) produce spikes of energy followed by lulls of no energy and fat produces long burning steady energy with no dips or periods of exhaustion. I greatly prefer the latter, especially in a survival situation. When a human who eats lots of carbs runs out of food and enters a period of fasting they become weak and have no energy. Their bodies enter a stage of gluconeogensis where it wants to cannibalize the aminos in your muscle mass for fuel / survival. When a human who eats primarily protein and fat runs out of food and enters a period of fasting, their already keto adapted bodies just continue to consume visceral and subcutaneous body fats while simultaneously producing additional amounts of HGH and testosterone in order to protect their muscle mass and give them strength 'for the hunt'. While I would consume carbs if they choice was carbs or death, in a SHTF situation I will kill a cat and eat it before I consume rice/pasta.

Every time this subject comes up I purchase more keto supplies and sell off or trade the non-keto foods I have in my preps.

Oh, I certainly agree. IF things got that bad, I'd eat it. But, on the other hand, I also like to have preferred foods on hand if at all possible. Part of the idea of prepping for me is that I can still be comfortable while others may have to deal with whatever they have. I have some kits and lots of pasta, oatmeal, rice, and beans stored from many years ago when I ate differently. Those foods are staying right where they are. I have no intention of eating them.....but I will if I have to.
I'm with you. But add wheat and potato flakes for me in the area of carbohydrates. Given that daughter has celiac and knowing that she can eat wheat grass, I have often thought that is how wheat could be made edible for her. I kind of see it as making lemonade from lemons. I've seen her order a beverage (smoothie) with wheat grass, so I know it is something she would consume.

All fat and sugar calories produce energy, the difference is that carbs (glucose / sugar) produce spikes of energy followed by lulls of no energy and fat produces long burning steady energy with no dips or periods of exhaustion. I greatly prefer the latter, especially in a survival situation. When a human who eats lots of carbs runs out of food and enters a period of fasting they become weak and have no energy. Their bodies enter a stage of gluconeogensis where it wants to cannibalize the aminos in your muscle mass for fuel / survival. When a human who eats primarily protein and fat runs out of food and enters a period of fasting, their already keto adapted bodies just continue to consume visceral and subcutaneous body fats while simultaneously producing additional amounts of HGH and testosterone in order to protect their muscle mass and give them strength 'for the hunt'. While I would consume carbs if they choice was carbs or death, in a SHTF situation I will kill a cat and eat it before I consume rice/pasta.

Every time this subject comes up I purchase more keto supplies and sell off or trade the non-keto foods I have in my preps.
Well said!

Angie: Have you ever considered supplements like Protein Powder to add to your food preps? I haven't used them in a long time, but some are actually formulated for a KETO diet. Might be something to investigate. Here is a link.

https://bestreviews.com/best-protein-powders

Angie: Have you ever considered supplements like Protein Powder to add to your food preps? I haven't used them in a long time, but some are actually formulated for a KETO diet. Might be something to investigate. Here is a link.

https://bestreviews.com/best-protein-powders

Thanks for that. I do have some tubs of protein powder that I used to use when I was doing heavy lifting. I haven't used it in a long time, but still have a few tubs in storage. I just don't think they have a very long shelf life. I still have mine though since it would be better than nothing, although I'm not sure it will be very palatable.

Thanks for that. I do have some tubs of protein powder that I used to use when I was doing heavy lifting. I haven't used it in a long time, but still have a few tubs in storage. I just don't think they have a very long shelf life. I still have mine though since it would be better than nothing, although I'm not sure it will be very palatable.
I've been going through my preps and tossing the stuff that is not appetizing and is too far past dates. I try to toss a few things every week. For instance, I am not a big soda drinker, but I had some because it is what refreshes me when I have been mowing in the heat, and other such things. I had some that was more than 5 years old, and actually, some of the cans had begun to leak. It was a good time to replace it. I have had preps long enough to know that some stuff didn't get rotated and wouldn't, so it is time for me to do some pitching. The food storage thing is to store what you eat and eat what you store, but many of us know that it is hard to store enough low carb foods for the long haul.

Wheat grass is easy, Weedy. I get a 50 lb bag of wheat for about $20. Soak it for a day, then rinse, I plant it in smallish dollar tree plastic containers with just a little dirt. When it gets about 4 inches high, give it a haircut and put it in a wheat grass grinder for juice. Got mine on Amazon and it was cheap. This is for my daughter. I think it's tastes nasty. We also use wheat seed in our yard for "grass". We have large patches of it. I pick it and throw it in the chicken runs and the rabbit cages.

Wheat grass is easy, Weedy. I get a 50 lb bag of wheat for about $20. Soak it for a day, then rinse, I plant it in smallish dollar tree plastic containers with just a little dirt. When it gets about 4 inches high, give it a haircut and put it in a wheat grass grinder for juice. Got mine on Amazon and it was cheap. This is for my daughter. I think it's tastes nasty. We also use wheat seed in our yard for "grass". We have large patches of it. I pick it and throw it in the chicken runs and the rabbit cages.

We grow it for the chickens but don't use dirt. Just soak and place in a plastic container with lots of small drainage holes. Water twice a day until its about 6in.

Latest posts

Back