LTS or Long Term Food......what is your favorite company to order from?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I thought we had already discussed this topic, but I can't seem to find the thread. If anyone finds it, please post the link on this thread so that we can have it all together.

I have some small amounts of LTS food that I ordered from Auguson Farms and some from Honeyville quite a while ago. I haven't actually tried either one of them. I'm now thinking that adding a little bit of LTS food at this time would be a good idea. I'm looking at packages from MyPatriotSupply.com Has anyone ordered from them? Their reviews look pretty good. They run a "deal of the day" everyday, but I don't know how much of a discount it really is b/c I haven't looked at prices on LTS foods in a long time. MyPatriotSupply foods boast a 25 year shelf life, which is appealing to me and they also advertise on conservative radio stations so I would like to support them.

I figure since it looks to me like inflation is about to make my dollars worthless anyways, it might be a good idea to invest it into LTS foods. I really don't have much on hand so I just want to add a bit to it. If anyone has ordered LTS foods lately, please let us know how you like it, if it was packaged to protect privacy, the price you paid, etc.

For the last couple years I have been buying from Amazon when items go on sale. I’ve posted links in the past with the 30-50% off links. Most typically I have been getting Auguson Farm, particularly focusing on items that don’t grow well in Alaska like fruit. Their dehydrated fruit items are pretty good, and when it is on sale at 50% off or so, it’s much cheaper than making yourself. But it isn’t just fruit that is on sale, so I am always on the lookout for other great bargains.

I've mixed it up over the years between Honeyville, Emergency Essentials and Augason Farms.
I have a few of the entrees ( chili mac,etc) but I prefer the get the ingredients to make my own.
Prices have sky rocketed in my opinion
I was tickled when I found freeze dried meats for only $49 a can recently on amazon and they were in stock.

I've been going the way of dehydrating things now. I know it doesn't last as long as the freeze dried but I know what it is and where it came from ( ya know?)
And I've been learning about other options for eggs and oils in recipes

I don't know the first thing about raising chickens and don't see how they can be cost effective with all the special foods and supplements you apparently have to give them. ( how did they survive this long (centuries) without all this special grains and feeds and supplements). Seems too expensive and complicated

Augason Farms, Emergency Essentials and I order from the LDS cannery directly. It is about price for us so I compare prices and shop a bit before ordering.

Emergency Ess, Auguson Farms, and Mt House. Some Backpackers Pantry because it tastes the best. But I agree with WVDragonlady, I dehydrate more than anything. I don't do chicken supplements, but feed them well. And I look at another factor regarding chickens....we always have eggs, always have meat, always have the ability to hatch more. And you can't put a price on that. I work on feeding them what I grow. When the pandemic shortages hit, we were in New Mexico. We had chickens, turkeys, ducks, and rabbits, and alot growing in our greenhouse. There was no chicken to be found in the stores, no eggs. No baby chicks at the Tractor Supply. I'd have friends text me, and I'd leave eggs on the porch for them. I ran a full incubator for chicks 3 times for people that needed chicks. And we butchered and sold all our flocks before moving in July. Things are invaluable if you can't get them. Our senior neighbor would get so excited....I'd bring her eggs, fresh rainbow chard, lettuces...made her day. Butchered a few ducks for our other neighbor's freezer before we left.

Emergency Essentials is my go to company. I have used Augustan, Honeyville, and a few others. I have not ordered anything in a while, at least a year, because of all of the shortages.
We used mainly Emergency Essentials and very few other brands, my wife would only buy special bulk sales and way back when we started some of those deals were very good, in looking up their prices, many items have tripled in price as well as some not being available, so we're glad we got things when we did. Once and a while we'll find Auguson products at Wal-Mart for a good price, but any more the only prep buying we seem to do is for what we call "Topping off our supplies". I might add that in buying preps, we have stayed away from all in one can meals, a lot of those contain HVP-hydrolyzed vegetable protein, an unfermented soya product which through deep research, we stay away from, not only that, if we want full meals we've mixed a number of dehydrated and freeze dried foods and found them to be very tasty.

I might add that in buying preps, we have stayed away from all in one can meals, a lot of those contain HVP-hydrolyzed vegetable protein, an unfermented soya product which through deep research, we stay away from, not only that, if we want full meals we've mixed a number of dehydrated and freeze dried foods and found them to be very tasty.
Yes, I do my best to stay away from all things soy, and it is in so many prepared products, whether food storage or otherwise.

I don't know the first thing about raising chickens and don't see how they can be cost effective with all the special foods and supplements you apparently have to give them. ( how did they survive this long (centuries) without all this special grains and feeds and supplements). Seems too expensive and complicated

We had chickens before Juju was born. They paid for their own feed with their eggs. This was back when there were egg shortages and the price per dozen was over $6 for cheap eggs. I would sell a dozen eggs for $4, selling the extras we didn't use/eat in a week and use the money to buy layer feed and assorted grains in bulk to make a DIY chicken crack snack. I did switch between the mix and layer pellets. Layer feed was about $15-20 a bag so selling 4 dozen eggs (4-5 days of eggs from our girls) paid for their food.

The eggs they gave us were the best I ever tasted! We also had an assorted flock ranging from easter eggers to faverolles. I had a set group of customers for our eggs that if they called for eggs and I had a lot they would buy every last one I had.

Here is the homemade mix I would make
https://www.fresheggsdaily.blog/2020/08/homemade-chicken-layer-feed.html

Yes, I do my best to stay away from all things soy, and it is in so many prepared products, whether food storage or otherwise.

Soy is bad for humans but it is a miracle food for fancy rats. I had a few pet rats before the girls were born and one got cancer. The vet told me to give him soybeans (roasted, raw or steamed) after his tumor was removed. No more cancer or tumors! His brothers didn't develop cancer either after I started adding soybeans to their diet. It works in reverse for humans.

Soy is bad for humans but it is a miracle food for fancy rats. I had a few pet rats before the girls were born and one got cancer. The vet told me to give him soybeans (roasted, raw or steamed) after his tumor was removed. No more cancer or tumors! His brothers didn't develop cancer either after I started adding soybeans to their diet. It works in reverse for humans.
How interesting.

The LDS order form often is a struggle for me to find, so I am going to post it here, or at least what I found today. This is their website. The order form that fits on one page is different. Let me know if there is another link, please.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1

It times out if you log in but if you go to the drop down menu (All Categories) you can select "food storage" and see what they have for sale online.

Remember Y2K ?
A friend bought up a lot of dry goods in gallon cans, after everything turned out fine, she gave us some of the dry beans, they where hard & tasteless, after they were cooked. I will hunt rodents & amphibians before I eat that mess. I was raised on fresh from the vine & home canned food so maybe I am soiled.
Dry goods from the store are okay, but not like home made.
I am thinking of buying a freeze dryer, to store food instead of LTF or as LTF.

I have a small stash of #10 cans but it's been years since I've added to it. I've always thought of it as my end of the end of the world food storage. It's all basics like wheat, oats, rice and beans from the LDS online store and was really cheap back then. I did order a few different things from Providential Pantry and Augason Farms. Powdered cheese, margarine, milk, eggs, brown sugar, and things like dehydrated hash browns, refried beans, cream of wheat, etc. My biggest purchase was two cases of Yoder's bacon bought six and a half years ago and sometimes I would tuck it into Christmas baskets for my kids. I still have about ten cans and I'm going to start using it regularly because I'm not sure how long it will actually taste good. I did consider getting a few of the entrees and once ordered a free sample from Wise Foods. It was so nasty that I only forced down two or three bites before I pitched it. Ugh! Never again.

The next time I am tasked with installing a Gamma seal lid I am going to throw together some out of 2X2s all-thread and som washers and nuts.

It would take less time than I spent on the last lid.

Ben

I use a rubber mallet and pound the rings on.

I was looking around online a bit today at WM and Amazon just to peek at what powdered milk would be. I can't seem to find the smaller packets (that make a gallon at a time) I bought a year or so ago from WM (I think).....can't remember now. Anyways, we don't drink milk per se, but I do use it in some recipes. In a SHTF situation it would come in really handy and wouldn't go to waste. Plus, I'd just use the amount from the packet that I needed for whatever the recipe called for. I could use it to make ranch dressing, scalloped potatoes, pudding, scrambled eggs, pasta dishes, etc. I also have some powdered eggs and butter for the same reason.

I'm wondering if I have enough. I don't have a lot of LTF in storage, but since the pantry and freezers are pretty full right now, it seems like the next logical step. Although, I am reluctant to soak money into LTS foods b/c I have never had the need to use them. The stuff I have now just sits there and looks pretty. At the same time, I do like the comfort and security that it provides in my brain. So, I'm considering another order. It has always been like an insurance policy for me and it feels like a great big claim might be coming our way......

Does anyone know of any good sales right now?

I was looking around online a bit today at WM and Amazon just to peek at what powdered milk would be. I can't seem to find the smaller packets (that make a gallon at a time) I bought a year or so ago from WM (I think).....can't remember now. Anyways, we don't drink milk per se, but I do use it in some recipes. In a SHTF situation it would come in really handy and wouldn't go to waste. Plus, I'd just use the amount from the packet that I needed for whatever the recipe called for. I could use it to make ranch dressing, scalloped potatoes, pudding, scrambled eggs, pasta dishes, etc. I also have some powdered eggs and butter for the same reason.

I'm wondering if I have enough. I don't have a lot of LTF in storage, but since the pantry and freezers are pretty full right now, it seems like the next logical step. Although, I am reluctant to soak money into LTS foods b/c I have never had the need to use them. The stuff I have now just sits there and looks pretty. At the same time, I do like the comfort and security that it provides in my brain. So, I'm considering another order. It has always been like an insurance policy for me and it feels like a great big claim might be coming our way......

Does anyone know of any good sales right now?
I'm glad you brought this thread back up.

I do know that Thrive Life is having a sale now, for Black Friday which is in 3 days, but their sale started yesterday for dealers, today for the rest of us. The sale ends on Nov. 29, but they could run out of products, so I plan to order today. @Terri9630 should be able to give us better information that I am able to. I follow a couple Thrive dealers and know they have had videos out recently. I think Terri9630 is whom I am going to PM and try to order from.

Last edited:
I just looked at the LDS website, and WOW! Their prices went up! Some of my food is from them is from 2009. I would go and buy some when I had days off and they were open. That was a challenge for me when I was still working, finding days they were open and I was off. I really worked towards a year's worth of food with their products in cans: wheat, rice, oatmeal, powdered milk, dried onions, carrots, pasta and potato flakes. Their prices were absolutely the best then, and may still be, but they are not as cheap as they once were.

I wanted this food because it really is long term storage. I have shorter term food, but it will not last 30 years like the canned foods they will. These foods are a base, and having fresh and other foods will make them better.

Someone that I met a few months ago at a dog park told me to stock up on food because there will be a shortage. LOL! I have brought her up to speed, and I think I should take her to our local LDS store. It is only open a few times a week, so we need to make a plan.

Latest posts

Back