LTS or Long Term Food......what is your favorite company to order from?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking around online a bit today at WM and Amazon just to peek at what powdered milk would be. I can't seem to find the smaller packets (that make a gallon at a time) I bought a year or so ago from WM (I think).....can't remember now. Anyways, we don't drink milk per se, but I do use it in some recipes. In a SHTF situation it would come in really handy and wouldn't go to waste. Plus, I'd just use the amount from the packet that I needed for whatever the recipe called for. I could use it to make ranch dressing, scalloped potatoes, pudding, scrambled eggs, pasta dishes, etc. I also have some powdered eggs and butter for the same reason.

I'm wondering if I have enough. I don't have a lot of LTF in storage, but since the pantry and freezers are pretty full right now, it seems like the next logical step. Although, I am reluctant to soak money into LTS foods b/c I have never had the need to use them. The stuff I have now just sits there and looks pretty. At the same time, I do like the comfort and security that it provides in my brain. So, I'm considering another order. It has always been like an insurance policy for me and it feels like a great big claim might be coming our way......

Does anyone know of any good sales right now?

Check the LDS website. They have LTS powdered milk.

https://store.churchofjesuschrist.org/usa/en/food-storage-3074457345616678849-1/nonfat-dry-milk

The milk is in mylar pouches. I would store the pouches in a 5 gallon bucket or even a plastic bin with a tight lid. The rodent population went crazy in homes in my area when restaurants were closed. Rodents will and do eat through mylar.

I have a couple of these cases and they are in my closet next to the bath towels so I can keep an eye on them. We had an issue with a rat at the last rental house. They trapped in in the attic when they reroofed the house right after we moved in and it chewed a hole in the drywall to get into the garage. We had some food storage in there and it was eaten. So we opted to get large metal storage cabinets for our food storage once we moved. That and I let the cats in the garage at night.

We tend to do Emergency essentials, Walton Feed/RainyDay, Auguson Farms, Mt House. Some Backpackers Pantry and some stuff from the LDS Online Store.

Now days we tend to buy online or I buy what we need at W_mart or Cost_co and repackage it. This year we bought a lot of specialty flours and sugars in 2# and 5# bags and then seal-a-mealed it bag and all with an oxygen adsorber. We put up a lot of our new rice in canning jars using a vacuum attachment, the pasta we just bay leaves and store as is... This year we started repacking cake and brownie mixes using the seal-a-meal machine.. We leave the ingredients in the original bag and stick the bag, the cardboard label and instructions, and an oxygen adbsorber in the seal-a-meal bag; but they don't stack as neatly.

We tend to use mylar inside of 5 gallon buckets with good lid seals...

I liked the Mt. House when we were doing family camping and backpacking, the deserts were great in the day. But we have found that it can be a little expensive... Then again everything is expensive now days....

@ThePricess got a 50lbs bag of rice from Sams club this weekend.

I HAVE to assemble a jig that will let me seat Gamma seal lids. Those things are a challenge.

Ben
Hey @Neb, this year I put mine up in 1/2 gallon canning jars, easy to see whats in there and they stack on the shelf. I have put rice up in seal-a-meal bags and stored them in an old ice chest.

I just put a pinhole in the original packaging at the top, and then did the food saver bag and vacuum sealed them. The pinhole helps take the air out of the original package, then I put it back in the original box and tape it shut.

I've done cake mixes and baking mix this way. Really helps keep them longer than usual

I get emails from emergency essentials from time to time, just bought some #10 cans of "scrambled eggs" at a reduced price, and it actually shipped with days, not weeks or months.

Auguson farms is another supplier i have used, I think they are the same company, different names and websites.

I wondered about that, too, so resorted to Google and a calculator to figure it out. Using their suggestion of 2/3 of a cup of powder to one quart of water it looks like each 27 ounce package will make 5.19 quarts of milk. The price comes out to $5.50 a package so it's roughly $1.10 per quart.

I've been wanting to get some more nonfat dry milk to add to my supplies so I ordered a case of it this afternoon. It should get here in a couple of weeks and I expect it to be good quality. The shipping was only $3.

Last edited:
Thanks Grimm, I saw that earlier but it's not exactly clear how much milk one of those pouches would make. I kinda rushed thru it.....maybe I missed it? Have you used this milk?

It is fine for powdered nonfat milk. I like a little fat in my milk when I do drink it but I store it for cooking and baking.

I'm glad you brought this thread back up.

I do know that Thrive Life is having a sale now, for Black Friday which is in 3 days, but their sale started yesterday for dealers, today for the rest of us. The sale ends on Nov. 29, but they could run out of products, so I plan to order today. @Terri9630 should be able to give us better information that I am able to. I follow a couple Thrive dealers and know they have had videos out recently. I think Terri9630 is whom I am going to PM and try to order from.

Thanks weedy. Hubby rolled the tractor so we've been dealing with that so I haven't been on to see this. I've been using Thrive for years. Most of their stuff is just ingredients so you don't have to worry about tons of salt and additives.

Thanks weedy. Hubby rolled the tractor so we've been dealing with that so I haven't been on to see this. I've been using Thrive for years. Most of their stuff is just ingredients so you don't have to worry about tons of salt and additives.
Thank you! I hope your husband is okay, but since you've been MIA for a few days, he probably had some injuries.
That is what I am interested in, unadulterated food.

I just ordered some Auguson Farms cans and thought of this thread. There were some decent deals on butter, corn, spinach, and chicken rice......so I got a few cans for storage. I compared prices in 3 places, since the prices on each site can vary quite a bit. Overall, I'd say Amazon had the best pricing....but not on everything.

Wow! The price of the powdered eggs is crazy high. I'm glad I already have some in storage. Considering what happened in Ohio, I figured some extra cans might not be a bad idea.

Thanks Grimm, I saw that earlier but it's not exactly clear how much milk one of those pouches would make. I kinda rushed thru it.....maybe I missed it? Have you used this milk?
I have used it. It is about what I expected, maybe a little better, and I wouldn't say it was bad but I personally no longer use milk. The kids didn't mind it. By the time you're having to use LTS I guess it doesn't matter.
Have you ever used noninstant dry milk? I thought it was okay too.

I have used it. It is about what I expected, maybe a little better, and I wouldn't say it was bad but I personally no longer use milk. The kids didn't mind it. By the time you're having to use LTS I guess it doesn't matter.
Have you ever used noninstant dry milk? I thought it was okay too.
I have some dry milk put back along with pet milk. I also bought some of those milk packets a while back for storage. I don't buy milk on a regular basis either, unless there's some recipe that I must have it for. Otherwise I water down heavy cream for other recipes if I need to. We are not milk drinkers and haven't bought it in a long time.

I don't buy any long term storage. I do know that this guy checks all his products for chemicals like pesticides and such before he packages them. He has just added a dioxin test because of the Ohio train wreck. If you're worried about bad chemicals in your food you might want to give this guy a look. I've been watching his podcasts for a couple of years and I'm impressed with him.

They are out of food on a regular basis but the factory is constantly processing new product so check back.
https://www.brighteonstore.com/?rfs..._medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=5515252.e167ba

Latest posts

Back