machinist handbook

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
If your are in need of reference for machine shop or draft room the Machinist Handbook is probably the book to get.

I was looking over my granddad's copy earlier today. I have a much more recent copy too but was feeling a bit nostalgic.
HMHT4Vbl.jpg

Yep.........I have one, I never liked using it. I got my Journeyman Machinist Papers in 1969, signed by: New York State Governor, Nelson Rockefeller.

My Grandfather and his brother were both Tool and Die makers.
I got many of my machinist "Instruments" (never to be known as tools) so don't get caught calling them tools, they are instruments, from them.

Last edited:
I will post more tomorrow but the old version has some interesting stuff.

There is a section that shows how to check multiplication by adding up the digits in the result never did figure out why it works.

Another section gives the equations for a hydraulic ram pump.

Ben

Anyone have a slipstick also called "slide rule".........???

Anyone remember how to use it.......???

Anyone have a slipstick also called "slide rule".........???

Anyone remember how to use it.......???
I have a K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrig upstairs in my desk drawer, it keeps my fountain pens company. I can use it, but the darn decimal wanders all over creation :p

I have the one my dad used when working on the Dyna-soar shuttle project at Boeing. For those who don't know it was basically what the "new" air-force space plane is except it could carry three astronauts. The slide rule was also used building the 707 and a few other projects before hand held calculators were available. After that Boeing used computers and even made their own CAE software. They sold it but never used their own software... ???
That was about the time I accidentally got into the Boeing computer server that my brother said was impenetrable. He operated the system and I was making connections from the use of my "war dialer". OOPS! don't want to be there!

it keeps my fountain pens company

I sometimes wonder how many were raised in a "PRE" Ballpoint pen time. I even remember when we had "Ink Wells" built into those horrible school desks.

The desk well was for the ink bottle and then the bottle had an ink well to dip your pen into. Used those pens until the "refillable" pens came in. We were never allowed to use ball point pens until I was in the ninth grade.

Gee wilikers Ben, do all of your posts need to be full of pictures?

Show and tell was my favorite class so yes.

I have a slide that I keep on my desk. My TEOTWAWKI of choice is an EMP so use it infrequently to make sure I remember how to use it. The instructions suggested using a graphite pencil on the slides to make it easier to move the slide.

20201114_154003.jpg

Yes, I still have the instructions. But I now need a magnifying glass to read them... old eyes.

20201114_154040.jpg

While I did use ball point pens in school (remember the old Bic pens that would explode in your pocket? Do I have to justify wearing a pocket protector?) I did start with a fountain pen before going with ball point. I do have pens, a collection of nibs, and ink.

20201114_154206.jpg

I use them when I was trying to learn to read and write Biblical Hebrew.

20201114_154319.jpg

Now back to the topic of technical books. We have a library that includes as many technical books as I can gobble up. The Princess works for a large library system and makes a point to attend book sales.

20201114_154550.jpg

A few of those shelves are filled with math science engineering and technical.

20201114_154612.jpg

That's enough for now. The Princess wants me to drop everything and do something.

Ben

I use my "pocket reference" booklets more often than anything else but I also have books on engineering, physics and other sciences.

I already am! ;)

Latest posts

Back