MAIL ORDER or UPS delivery FOOD. Help requested. Not AMAZON.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Does anyone have "Personal Experience" (Not stuff you read on internet, or Billy-bob's uncle Charlie, thinks is he overheard slimy Sam say).

So......looking for personal (often called "First Hand") experience with ordering food and supplies (NOT to be picked-up at store) to be mailed or shipped via UPS or some carrier.

NO......Not Amazon.......I have over ten years of consistently ordering food from Amazon, for shipment. I am looking for other options. Like anyone with experience involving WALMART food mail order. Or any other outlets that ship food. When hungry I am not picky about the political views of Walmart on firearms. I just want food.

No I can't just drive to a store........No I can't just have someone shop and deliver groceries.

I truly appreciate help offered......Thank You.

I have made recent orders from both Target and Walmart for food as well as Vitacost.com (owned by Krogers).

My Vitacost order came within a week. Their normal shipping is 2-3 days before we had to bug-in. I can get most of the specialty foods I eat and vitamins from them. Think of a Whole Foods but online. Everything I ordered was there too.

Target was still within a week give or take a day. They broke my order up into multiple packages but it still arrived fairly quickly. Nothing I ordered ended up being out of stock and I got everything.

Walmart is slow and things go out of stock before they even ship your order. I placed my Target and Walmart orders the same day over 2 weeks ago and I am still waiting for half my Walmart order.

I've been catching tidbits on the news about many volunteers doing it all over the place. I don't remember the details but will pay attention better going forward. I'd check your areas news station web site as well as Craigslist as they might have info available for your area.

I have made recent orders from both Target and Walmart for food as well as Vitacost.com (owned by Krogers).

Wow..........that is exactly the type information I was hoping to gather. Thanks.

In Alaska we have K-Mart which is part of Kroger's. I have ordered from them, a few years go. Worked good........but the shipping was fairly high. They do have super heavy duty cardboard boxes they use for shipping, and they pack things well. Another plus is they will package and ship from Los'Anchorage.

Amazon has free shipping and does a horrifically crappy job of packaging, and uses cheap boxes and cheap tape to tape the boxes. A lot of my Amazon shipments get damaged, however Amazon always makes it right........it is just a pain in the butt.

I have not ordered from Walmart.......But I will, make a few small orders just to learn. The word is they are worse then Amazon for cheap crappy boxes, and lousy packaging. That is kind'a hard for me to grasp, anyone could do worse then Amazon.

I don't know if Walmart would ship and package at their Los'Anchorage stores........currently. A few years ago I tried to order from Walmart, but at that time they would not ship to Alaska.

Over all I am OK (not in love) with Amazon, but would like to experience all of the available options for getting food to me.

I've been catching tidbits on the news about many volunteers doing it all over the place. I don't remember the details but will pay attention better going forward. I'd check your areas news station web site as well as Craigslist as they might have info available for your area.

Thanks........one problem is that all supplies need to be dropped at the bottom of my mountain, they can't get up here........plus I don't want anyone up here, especially with this Coronavirus-19.

So it is kind'a a classic goat'rope. As I need to know when supplies are dropped, or animals (Bears and Wolves) can enjoy supplies not quickly moved up the mountain.

For about 7 or 8 weeks now I have been quarantining all mail and supply packages for days or weeks, before opening.

We ordered from Amazon about week ago,sent in 3 deliveries, got two smaller one feeler gauge ,timing light, and alomonds ,midget Snickers bars came in one box together.
The large FOOD order wort h$150 is promised for Arpil 22nd. So that would be a month for delivery.

Thanks........one problem is that all supplies need to be dropped at the bottom of my mountain, they can't get up here........plus I don't want anyone up here, especially with this Coronavirus-19.

So it is kind'a a classic goat'rope. As I need to know when supplies are dropped, or animals (Bears and Wolves) can enjoy supplies not quickly moved up the mountain.
Mrs Zoom got a food order from Amazon last week. Here's what she did which worked nicely.
We have 2 houses on 15 acres and not knowing when it would arrive nor where she would be, here's what she did.
She has a kids wagon that she uses to transport things from house to house. She took that wagon and parked it 1/2 way down the driveway of the delivery address. Taped a note to the handle stating "Please leave groceries in wagon then blow horn". In the wagon, she put a handheld freon air horn like this.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY4YTKG
Worked perfectly. Wive heard horn, waved to driver then waited until they left and got the wagon & supplies.

While we used their services sparringly and some time ago, we have had some food stuffs delivered through Welcome to USGrocer.com because our local stores stopped carrying the products we wanted. We had no issues with ordering, payment, or delivery.

She took that wagon and parked it 1/2 way down the driveway of the delivery address. Taped a note to the handle stating "Please leave groceries in wagon then blow horn". In the wagon, she put a handheld freon air horn like this.

Good suggestion. I still have 4 to 5 feet of snow. And have all winter been pulling supplies up the mountain in a "OTTER" brand sled.

One of my ongoing problems is stuff that needs my signature. This not only requires me being there to meet them, but me having additional PPE on me, which is a pain in the anal-orifice at 28* below zero. Especially wearing the biggest snowshoes.

I do like the air horn idea.

As for signatures - check with the carriers. When this thing broke out, I remember one of them (USPS, UPS, FedEx) said they're not doing signatures until this blows over.

PS. Move more to the south. Here in PA, it's 70° today but we'll be getting snow again by Friday night.

PS. Move more to the south. Here in PA, it's 70° today but we'll be getting snow again by Friday night.

I was raised in PA. and it is a wonderful state. It was less populated seventy-three years ago. I attended the classic "Little Red Schoolhouse". Where first and second grade were on the first floor, and third and fourth grade on the second floor. One teacher taught two grades in the same room.

Interesting side note........the first floor teach came up to the second floor and asked me why my brother, keeps crying, even after being made to stand in the corner. I told her he was hungry, we had not eaten in days, as we were out of food. Even after sixty-five years, I still cry as I type this, remembering having to tell the teacher why my brother was crying.

Interesting side note........the first floor teach came up to the second floor and asked me why my brother, keeps crying, even after being made to stand in the corner. I told her he was hungry, we had not eaten in days, as we were out of food. Even after sixty-five years, I still cry as I type this, remembering having to tell the teacher why my brother was crying.
Damn. I might cry too.

Kroger in Alaska is Fred Meyer and Walmart. If I can help you out Sourdough, let me know.

I was the youngest of 4. A few years ago I was talking to my sister about how we must have been rotton kids since someone was always in trouble and had to go to bed without dinner. She said we weren't bad we were poor and didn't have enough food. I guess I was too young to figure that out. I am also starting to suspect that the reason we didn't have a color tv had nothing to do with my mom's concern for our eyesight.

Latest posts

Back