Make A “Prepper Dinner” Once A Month

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sentry18

Thrivalist
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://modernsurvivalblog.com/survival-skills/make-a-prepper-dinner-once-a-month/

Make A “Prepper Dinner” Once A Month
by Ken Jorgustin | Updated Nov 29, 2019 | SURVIVAL SKILLS |

prepper-dinner.jpg

Here’s and idea… Say, once a month, make a “prepper dinner”.

What do I mean by that?

Make A Dinner From Your Long Term Food Storage
Practice your survival skills. Make a dinner whereby you only use your food preps, your “deep pantry” and/or “long term food storage”. AND DO IT WITH NO ELECTRICITY.

Challenge yourself. Don’t just grab an MRE or a Mountain House Pouch.

Rather, be creative. Utilize some of your deep storage staple foods. Make some things from scratch. Try to put together a meal with a variety of foods, as though you’re making a meal to impress.

This way you’ll be more likely to discover holes in your process, or learn a few more things than otherwise.

Maybe you will find that you need a particular manually-operated appliance. Or a specific food item that you don’t have. Or a indoor-safe portable stove!

Shut Off The Power

Go down to the breaker panel and flip them all off. A dark house. No working appliances.

Why? Because this will realistically resemble what could happen, and force you to deal with the variety of consequences and challenges.

And you know what? It’s fun!

In fact our pal, NRP, suggests doing a “lights out weekend” every once in awhile.

But starting with a “prepper dinner” might be a good place to start…

I did that for two weeks when we lost power in Seattle in midwinter. We actually had a great time. We made sure the neighbors were ok and loaned my generator to those who needed it.

I cook from my food storage all the time. We've been through plenty of power outages to know what we need. Went almost 3 weeks without after a storm/tornado in S Tx with the kid on a heart monitor. The power company sent a guy out with a small genny and 5gal of gas. We thanked him (took the gas of course) but we had everything we needed.

It's good practice. We do it at least once a month.
We do it about once every 2 weeks and you'd never even notice. i.e:
Kraft deluxe mac&cheese, 2 different kinds of canned veggies, real smoked pork sausage = 1 fine supper!
As empty containers are tossed in the trash, they are added to the shopping list.
We switch up the canned goods, staples and meat each time and it magically rotates everything in storage.:)

(This is also known as the "I don't want to go to the grocery-store" day.:D)

What would work for others? I often wonder how many people have a bunch of rice, beans, maybe wheat, pasta, but don't normally cook or eat this way.

A pasta mix with tuna or chicken, some onions, peas is quick and easy.

Meat's all gone? (That day is probably coming, when people run out) Indian chickpeas (Chana masala) with basmati rice and naan bread. Yum, yum!
https://tasty.co/recipe/easy-chickpea-curry-channa-masala

I often do this. oatmeal, beans , I also try to limit to one pan, and since I am usually just feeding me I also eat from said pan way less wasted water, put a 1/2 inch of water in the pan, put it back on the heat source, let it come to a boil, clean your utensils and the inside of the pan, and your done.

I guess I am just weird. I don't need electricity to cook and the ingredients are nothing special that I need to practice once a month.
more like you are already thriving, not surviving.

Latest posts

Back