Make a Shelter Plan #1 "Where would you take shelter for 14-21 days?"

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not to close to main nuclear targets, but figgerin on how accurate KJI or rocket boys guidance system probably is, It will decide my house will be as good as any to light up.............. The Norks will likely calculate that the secondary explosions from the stored ammo and powder will double the yield!!!!!!
:eyeballs: I hope not.

No primary or secondary military targets near me and only tertiary target within a moderate range. There is a civilian airport that might be considered a tertiary civilian target but even it is far enough away that it doesn't pose a threat. High winds (100+ mph) are occasionally a threat, wild fires in the late summer and and a very mild, deep, earthquake up to about an M6 are the most severe threats for my location. Those were some of the criteria that I used in my search and why I selected this place over others. Budget was a big part in the process too but I paid cash and then paid cash to build my shop and a garage. It was a big chunk of change but it has worked out well.

SD all you have to worry about now is the NORK sat intel officer reviewing overflight pictures and sayin "Rookie,Rookie.....A secret US imperialist base rets brast it!!"

:I agree::LOL:I don't see that happening until they take out the small town that is nearby. Neither of us is a decent target for anything but ground troops. That might be a problem but by the time they get here we will likely be ready.:callyou:

Since another one of these came up today, I wanted to bump this up today. I believe there are 4 threads altogether in this series, maybe could have more.

Off to the side of my house basement we have a "L" shaped mechanical/storage room. I'd guess about 200 foot square. One entrance from the house and a second "emergency" entrance direct to outside. This is where we keep our EOTW supplies. Room also has a sump pump that would allow ground water to be available except for the driest summer month. Two people for three weeks is doable. The biggest problem would be coping with the wife's insecurity anxiety.

Last edited:
Off to the side of my house basement we have a "L" shaped mechanical/storage room. I'd guess about 200 foot square. One entrance from the house and a second "emergency" entrance direct to outside. This is where we keep our EOTW supplies. Room also has a sump pump that would allow ground water to be available except for the driest summer month. Two people for three weeks is doable. The biggest problem would be coping with the wife's insecurity anxiety.
She may have to be sedated. That is something I have never even thought of before in a SHTF situation. It may be what is best for you and her.

Sedation....hmmm....I honestly didn't think of that.
I hadn't either until you posted. If she is someone who becomes hysterical, it may be in hers and your best interest that she can be sedated. I don't know, but I have often thought that a hysterical person is as dangerous as any other potential threats.

Too close too "high value targets" especially if they haven't updated targeting lately. GE Jet engine facility 8 miles, Fernald Nuclear feed Materials (now a nature preserve) 10 miles, Wright Patterson AFB 40 miles, etc etc. So, it's the basement (Family Room), and I may or may not have to have a plan for the future. I do, but who knows if it will work. Improvise, Adapt, Overcome.

Ouch! Wright Patterson is a primary target for sure. 40 miles is far enough that an air burst would not be a big concern but with the underground base it might get a ground burst or two and that will make fallout a big deal. On the plus side you won't get a blast either way. Too far for the blast of an air burst and the ground bursts don't have a large radius blast zone. You need air filtration for at least two weeks and water for the same time. You might want to increase the mass overhead with concrete blocks and sand bags so you have at least two feet of material between you and the floor above. The air filtration should have a long intake with at least two 90 degree turns before it gets to the filters. That will keep the fallout off the filters.

Latest posts

Back