Make clothing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to sew and make a few things mainly slingshot hunting bags but I am looking for someone to make a hoodie out of a green wool or grey wool blanket.

I can sew on a button. I had to add suspender buttons to all my pants. I tried those "bachelor buttons" but they just didn't stay on.
I have my Mom's upholstery machine but I can't sew with it. I took it to a repair shop last week and they cleaned and adjusted it. I asked them to leave it threaded so my daughter could see how it needed to be. I also downloaded a manual for it. The guy at the shop said it is a great industrial machine and people give a lot of money for them, if they can find one. He said it was worth at least $1700. It will handle anything including leather.
My daughter is going to get the machine. She can sew with it and she wants to make things for their Viking reenactment events. When people find out she can make that stuff she will stay busy.

I was tall and thin most of my life. When I was a child, purchased clothing never worked. By the time if was long enough, it was way too wide. As a result, I have had hand made clothing most of my life. Clothing that fits has gotten better because I am not as thin now and clothing sizes are more all over the map.

I started sewing when I was 9 and in 4-H. By the time I was in h.s., I made most of my own clothing and did for many years afterwards. A couple decades ago, I was much busier than I had ever been in the past, and began purchasing more of my clothing.

I do still sew, but more of what I sew is things like curtains, pillow covers, napkins, and other house goods and more practical things.

This past winter I sewed a polar fleece jacket for myself. The pattern was a bit odd, and I am not 100% happy with it, but I still get compliments on it from complete strangers.

I have made coats, jackets, dresses, pants, blouses, vests, costumes, and aprons, probably more items I don't remember. I made a western shirt for a friend once, which was not easy. Too many inserts and pieces to add.

When you sew, others want to jump on and have you sew for them. I have never asked, broadcast, or advertised that I sew, other than by wearing clothing I have made. I did sew some banquet tablecloths for Crown Center in Kansas City once, because I was asked to. I also made a wedding dress for a friend, decades ago. Now, I decline sewing requests.

@Weedygarden I'm right there with you. There was a time when I sewed nearly all of my own clothes. I've made wedding gowns, coats, and costumes and all like you. I too try to keep my big mouth shut that I sew. Learned that years ago. Now I just say I don't have time to finish my own projects.
@backlash Glad you got the machine serviced. Have you picked out your first project?
@Bishop You can do it. A hoody would be a good project to get going. Bigger pieces are easier to start with.
I have a simple shell style top cut out that I'm hoping to sew up tomorrow. I've looked for tank tops, but everything now has spandex in it which I detest. So I'm back to making my own.

i also have an indusrial machine , butb i got mine from the company i warked for . they made t-shirts.. i made my own clothes for years and then got extremely busy and quit doing it so much. now that i'm retired i am goin to wrk on that.

Back