Make your own butter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I found this video on how to make your own butter using cream and your own food processor in 10 minutes. I thought it was interesting and thought some of you might find it useful as well.

If the video doesn't play for you, here's the gist of it:

Put real cream in a blender or food processor and put on high until butter forms (3-5 minutes)
When you see the butter, remove it to a strainer to seperate it from the buttermilk.
Rinse the butter with water to remove all the buttermilk and it looks like a dough ball.
Add 1/2 tsp of himilayn salt and/or other flavorings like garlic/herbs if you choose, being careful not to add too much.
Kneed the flavorings into the butter so it is well mixed.
Store in an air tight container in the frig so it doesn't pick up flavors from other foods.

I have never even considered making butter before, but this looks very do-able. It would be a neat skill to have and I'm tempted to try it just to see if I can do it. I'm also very interested in finding out how it tastes.

Kinda makes me wish I had a cow. For now I order a small dairy bundle from a local small farm supplier
None of my family has had cows for milking, only for the meat. I too always wished I had access to fresh milk and the cream that you can get.

I've made butter with children in a classroom. Pour cream into a jar, put a lid on tight, let the children take turns shaking the jar and it doesn't take long to have butter.

I always think about how to do things like this when you don't have power. I have one of those old fashioned beaters that would work.

None of my family has had cows for milking, only for the meat. I too always wished I had access to fresh milk and the cream that you can get.

I've made butter with children in a classroom. Pour cream into a jar, put a lid on tight, let the children take turns shaking the jar and it doesn't take long to have butter.

I always think about how to do things like this when you don't have power. I have one of those old fashioned beaters that would work.
You know you can actually milk a beef cow if she is gentle enough? We have always had a small heard with less than 10 so had plenty of human contact.

Like a custard pie? That I like.
I guess I've got a few ways to make butter, too. I have a huge crock with a stick...it's a big butter crock. And a glass jar with a beater made into it, like an egg beater. Also have a kitchen aid mixer that is non electric...it's hand crank, and one that is electric. And an electric hand mixer and an electric blender.
Or like Weedy said...we used to pass around a shaker jar of cream (with a marble in it) to the preschoolers to shake till we got butter.

When I was a kid mom always made butter. Currently we don't have access to a milk cow, but plan on buying a Jersey cow or heifer this spring. I'd like to start making cheese too.
I'm pretty sure that if I tried milking one of our beef cows I'd get my head kicked in.

Hunny's favorite from the buttermilk was Buttermilk Pie.
2 c sugar
1/4c flour
3 eggs
1/2 c melted butter
1 c buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla
1 (9-in) unbaked pie shell

Combine sugar, flour, eggs and butter, mixing well. Add Buttermilk, vanilla. Mix well. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake 10 minutes at 400 F. Reduce heat to 325 F and bake 1 hour or until knife inserted comes out clean.

Yes @Amish Heart, it is very simulair to a custard pie.

When I was a kid mom always made butter. Currently we don't have access to a milk cow, but plan on buying a Jersey cow or heifer this spring. I'd like to start making cheese too.
I'm pretty sure that if I tried milking one of our beef cows I'd get my head kicked in.
I'd start with a calf to raise. I know that would mean a couple years before getting milk, but the training will make life so much easier with the bond you get.

I have no doubt one of your beef cows would kick you in the head, but you have more of a "ranch" than we do. With the limited amount of cows we have which is only 4 now, we have hands on everyday. Our old beef cow, Big Momma would actually let you milk her with no problems.

I'd start with a calf to raise. I know that would mean a couple years before getting milk, but the training will make life so much easier with the bond you get.

I have no doubt one of your beef cows would kick you in the head, but you have more of a "ranch" than we do. With the limited amount of cows we have which is only 4 now, we have hands on everyday. Our old beef cow, Big Momma would actually let you milk her with no problems.
That reminds me of the wild cow milking contest in rodeos. I think the goal was to get some milk in a bottle.
Ideally I'd like to get a Jersey bottle baby and raise it.

That reminds me of the wild cow milking contest in rodeos. I think the goal was to get some milk in a bottle.
Ideally I'd like to get a Jersey bottle baby and raise it.
The bottle fed Jersey calf was my choice and your wife would so LOVE that experience. . . Just saying Claire was absolutely the BEST birthday gift. And isn't your wife's birthday coming soon??

Latest posts

Back