Make your own laundry detergent.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INresponse

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Others may have their own recipe and you are welcome to share what works for you. I made this recipe in 2012 and the 5 gallon bucket lasted quite a while our family of 5.
The prices were in 2012 so I suspect they are a bit higher now, but I am not gonna look them up for current pricing.

Laundry Detergent RECIPE:
Fels-Naptha soap = $1.59 per bar
Arm&Hammer Washing Soda = $3.29 a box
20 Mule Team Borax = $4.99 a box
Mrs Stewart's Liquid Bluing Whitener = $2.99 a bottle
1 empty 5 or 6 gallon bucket with a lid
Use a sharp knife to cut the bar of Fels-Naptha soap into small pieces, the smaller the better, and then grate them into a powder, the finer the better. (I used my wife's Pampered Chef hand crank grater)
Add 1 gallon of boiling water into the bucket and mix the grated soap into the water.
Add 1 more gallon of boiling water and mix it some more, the purpose is to dissolve the grated soap.
Add 1 cup Washing Soda and mix well.
Add 1/2 cup of Borax and mix well.
(there is no chemical type reaction with any of this, but I suggest not tasting it)
CAREFULLY add 2 tablespoons of Mrs Stewart's Liquid Bluing Whitener into the mix. Do not get this on your clothes, or the dog, or the carpet, or the grout because it will be real work to remove it, but it does have a squirt type insert in the top of the bottle so remove the cap and carefully turn it over above the mix and squeeze out about 2 tablespoons.
Mix again and add 2 or 3 more gallons of cool water, mixing as you go. Allow it to cool with the top loose and do not seal it until it is cool.

Use a clean stick or old broom handle to mix well before pouring into an old laundry detergent bottle. Use a ladle and a funnel, or if you are feeling festive use a Red Solo Cup.
With the top tightly on the detergent bottle shake well before use and use 1/2 cup per load, give or take. This works out to about $2.33 a batch or 1.8 cents per load (in 2012) if you make 4 gallons.

For fabric softener use 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar in the rinse cycle. It works well and is very inexpensive. Did you know most fabric softeners contain chemicals that are unhealthy? And, even laundry soap contains several of those chemicals and if it isn't rinsed away completely it will remain on your clothes but the white vinegar will help dissolve them and rinse them away. If you are using fabric softener in the drier to stop static cling consider setting the dry cycle to a lower setting to leave your clothes slightly damp and there will be no static. That last little bit of moisture will dry when you hang up your clothes or if folding the clothes spread them out for a few minutes (use a fan to help if needed) before folding.

A quick search on fabric softener came up with this article. I don't know when it was written and haven't verified it but it is well written and explains how various chemicals in fabric softener can be bad for you.
https://www.life.ca/naturallife/0608/softener.htm
DISCLAIMER: since my GF and her family moved in with me we have been using store bought detergent because that is what she uses and I haven't had the time to make my own. I will run this past her and see if she will give me the OK to make and use this again. If so I will make a video on the process. My only hope is she will like the idea of the much lower cost.

1647734206480.png

Nice.. :cool: Ours is similar, except we just decided to 'stay Dry until use', via:

- Zote 'Big Pink' Bars, cheese-gratered..
- Ditto to: Fels Naptha, cheese-gratered; Borax ( Always a +1... 👍 ) and A&H Washing Soda..
- 'Oxy-Clean' Whitener..
- 'Lavender-Scent wash-crystals'..

Cheap, easy, and 50# outta last us Quite a Good spell.. :cool:
jd

Nice.. :cool: Ours is similar, except we just decided to 'stay Dry until use', via:

- Ditto to: Fels Naptha, cheese-gratered; Borax ( Always a +1... 👍 ) and A&H Washing Soda..
- 'Oxy-Clean' Whitener..

jd

This is the recipe I use.

The only differences is I use Zote White and an old 1980s salad shooter to grate it. Then I let it sit for a week to dry and pulse in the food processor to powder.

1 (4 lb 12 oz) Box of Borax– Found in the detergent aisle

1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda– Found in the detergent aisle

1 (3 lb) Container of OxyClean– Found in the detergent aisle. (This is optional but I highly recommend adding it)

2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Zote Soap– Found in the detergent aisle (we chose to do pink for the scent but the white would be just fine. You can also use Fels Naptha)

1 (4 lb) Box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda– Found in the cooking aisle (You could also get two 2 lb box, we couldn’t find the larger 4lb box when we went)

1-2 (55 oz) Bottle of Purex Crystals Fabric Softener– or use 1 TUB of Scentsy Washer Whiffs. Scentsy washer whiffs are my top choice, (they smell out-of-this-world amazing – my favorite is Quiver), but when in a hurry, I opt for the Purex, (which can be found in the detergent aisle).

https://howdoesshe.com/cheaper-and-better-diy-laundry-detergent/

- 'Oxy-Clean' Whitener..

jd
This is the same one I use. On occasion I will pick up arm and hammer detergent and mix it all up

the recipe ii use is very similar, been using ot for years and i think works very well. this makes aover a years worth for 2 -3people easy

3 bars fels soap
1 box borox
1 box washing soda -- or can make this
2 c baking soda
2 X 32lb tubs of oxy clean

grate soap
put this in blender with 1 c oxyclean - pulse a few times til powdery
take2 white trash bag- put one inside the other this is the mixing bag, do it all at once. nice and easy.

put all ingredients in bag and tie knots in top
mix all ingredients in the bags,i roll bag around on the counter to mix it up real well.

i store in large juice jugs

use 2-3T per wash load
i put the powder into the washer directly under the water filling it to help dissolve good. then add the clothes.

so many good recipes here and so simple.

I went ahead and made a batch while watching this weather system. I used the bottles that scent stuff comes in to store

I made a double batch and stored it in a bright pink 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid. I decided that since the scent crystals are optional once I run out of them in my stores I will stop using them. I think I have 3 double batches worth left.

I made a double batch and stored it in a bright pink 5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid. I decided that since the scent crystals are optional once I run out of them in my stores I will stop using them. I think I have 3 double batches worth left.
If you think you do want some scent you could use half and it will last for twice as many batches. I am not a fan of "fresh smelling" clothes, I would rather they just smelled clean, meaning no scent or odor, but that is just me. I only use unscented detergent and only occasionally use the vinegar.

If you think you do want some scent you could use half and it will last for twice as many batches. I am not a fan of "fresh smelling" clothes, I would rather they just smelled clean, meaning no scent or odor, but that is just me. I only use unscented detergent and only occasionally use the vinegar.

The Zote has a smell that is more my speed. The scent crystals are a carry over from when I stocked up on supplies before Juju was born (5+ years ago). I bought a few bottles of the Arm & Hammer ones to see how they worked in the recipe back in 2019 but with prices the way they are I'll use what I have and skip stocking more.

My towel detergent doesn't have any of these scent crystals and my towels smell clean and fresh.

My mother and 2 sisters used to make the stuff but then they stopped? Is making your own still advantageous? Does it get things as clean?

My mother and 2 sisters used to make the stuff but then they stopped? Is making your own still advantageous? Does it get things as clean?

YES!

Sometimes I need to add more to very dirty clothes but seeing how a double batch lasts over 6 months for my family it is worth it!

Stain treatment recipe

Works on oily and greasy stains even set in stains.

1 part baking soda
1 part Dawn Ultra (with the duckling on the bottle)
2 parts hydrogen peroxide

Mix and use a spoon to apply to the stain. Work it in to the stain with the back of the spoon but not so it disappears into the clothes. Let sit for at least 15 minutes (longer the better but don't let it dry out). Wash as normal.

GF said she would be interested in making the dry version so we may work on that in the next week or so.

Stains? For me it doesn't matter what the stain is, rub plenty of regular, blue Dawn dish soap into the stain, front and back and place a damp/wet towel over it while it sits so it doesn't dry out. Let it set a while, 15 minutes or an hour or overnight if you think it is needed, then wash. I have had great success with Dawn dish soap.

My recipe: equal parts by weight grated soap*, washing soda, borax. Mix together (dry). *I use my homemade soap but FN or Zote would work. Hubby is sensitive to the chemicals so I don't do the recipes with Dawn, Oxyclean etc. Often times on stains, if you suds up and let soak over night, it works as well as the chemicals. We are often impatient - myself included.

How do you store powders? I had to grate half a box of each as they were hard as a rock. I only store one batch at a time in the box in lidded bucket. Have to tear box off

Excellent, Thanks.. :cool: And yah - If there was Any 'liquid detergent' to be sure and stock at Least a couple Gallons-of (even as expensive as it Is o_O - it's Dawn.. 👍 Definitely in the 'a Little dab 'll do ya' category.. :cool:

jd

I keep extra bars of Zote and other dry laundry bars for use as stain removers. I have a whole laundry set up that makes K cringe but my mom beam with pride. K hates extra work and wears his stained clothes until I tell him to treat them and my mom raised me in a farmhouse with no running water and antiques that would make the amish smile. I have even cleaned cloth diapers by hand!

How do you store powders? I had to grate half a box of each as they were hard as a rock. I only store one batch at a time in the box in lidded bucket. Have to tear box off

5 gallon bucket with a gamma lid once mixed. Our detergent is a powder so a tablespoon or two is all you need. The pink bucket I use was from a promotion a local hardware store had about 10 years ago for breast cancer. I can tell it apart from the sea of 5 gallon buckets we have including the neon yellow ones I have set aside for honey-buckets. The detergent bucket lives in my garage/utility room next to my laundry rack so I can fill up the cracker jar when needed. I think I could fit a third batch in the bucket and might try a triple batch next time I make some.

Remember I live in the desert foothills here in the California mountains. We use a swamp cooler in the summer so clumping is not an issue for dry goods. If there are clumps I scoop them out and run them through the food processor.

thumbnail_Image-28.jpg

Those bleach tablets at the bottom of your shelf are a good idea. I've got two (?) under the sink. I really need to get more.

How often does everyone do laundry? I'm not sure how we do it, but I feel like we generate more laundry than is necessary >.<

Those bleach tablets at the bottom of your shelf are a good idea. I've got two (?) under the sink. I really need to get more.

How often does everyone do laundry? I'm not sure how we do it, but I feel like we generate more laundry than is necessary >.<

Clothing is done once a week.
Towels are every 3 weeks (changed frequently but I wash them by themselves so I wait for a full load.)
Bedding weekly.
Rags when needed.
Hankies are weekly.
Couch quilts are every 2 weeks or so depending on how much fur is on them.

As for the bleach tablets they last YEARS. Some of those bottles are older than Juju (who is 5) and they still work great.

Oh wow! :D 5 years + shelf life, good to know. I would assume they'd last a while, but knowing that is definite motivation.

Yeah we do laundry more frequently than that. I was getting really sick of it and sort of took a bunch of towels out of the bathroom, and told the family to use the bigger hand towels when the world ends because I'm not washing gigantic towels. We've been slowly converting to smaller towels for drying off after a shower and that cut down on laundry significantly. My mom throws towels in the laundry like every day. She won't reuse the same towel after showering; it doesn't bother me to use the same towel for a week. Lol.

Oh wow! :D 5 years + shelf life, good to know. I would assume they'd last a while, but knowing that is definite motivation.

Yeah we do laundry more frequently than that. I was getting really sick of it and sort of took a bunch of towels out of the bathroom, and told the family to use the bigger hand towels when the world ends because I'm not washing gigantic towels. We've been slowly converting to smaller towels for drying off after a shower and that cut down on laundry significantly. My mom throws towels in the laundry like every day. She won't reuse the same towel after showering; it doesn't bother me to use the same towel for a week. Lol.

Roo is a lazy tween and throws her towels on the floor until K or I yell at her about it. Since she does her own laundry if she wants to wash towels and her clothing at the end of the week I say let her. The motivation for her doing her own laundry is she whines about not having clean clothing she has herself to blame.

Latest posts

Back