Make your own pemmican......

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny story....

My buddy and I were going down the road and he told me a story about running into a bear while picking huckleberry. The bear stood up and growled at him and he growled back at it. The bear dropped down and left then.

I said "the bear was thinking mmm fresh meat snd berries."

From the back seat his 7 year old says "mmmm pemmican"

We laughed for miles over that one.

Pemmican is really pretty easy to make, in it's simplest form it contains just Two Ingredients, Pulverized Jerky and melted Fat. You can also add any Seasoning you want or dried Fruit. If you are not a Hunter go to your Butcher and tell him you want some Beef to make Jerky, have him slice it about 1/4 inch thick. Get about 5 Lbs. of sliced Meat and the same amount of Beef Fat. Take the Meat Home and if you have a Dehydrator dry the Meat until it is very dry, if you don't have a Dehydrator, put the Meat in the Oven set to 200 degrees or its lowest setting (leave the Oven Door slightly open to allow Moisture to escape) and again Dehydrate until very dry. Once dry remove from the Dehydrator and let cool. At this point you want to begin to Render your Beef Fat, while it is Rendering, put your Jerky in a Blender along with any seasonings or dried Fruit you want and pulverize to a course Powder. Once this is done and your Beef Fat is Rendered (make sure you use low heat to Render Fat) pour the Powdered Jerky into a small Baking Dish and pour just enough Rendered Fat into the pan to just Moisten your Jerky. Put the Dish into the Refrigerator and let the Fat harden. You can now cut it into small Squares, Vacuum seal and store it in the Freezer. You now have Pemmican that can be used any time as a Survival Food, but be aware that this Food is Very Rich and Fatty and may take some time to get used to. The Indians used it in the Winter Time, when Food was low, and Fat was needed to keep Warm. Pemmican was also used on the Trail, a small bit of Pemmican and a Handful of Parched Corn was all that was needed to keep going.

Pemmican is a little different than jerky.
Someone gives us venison once in awhile, usually frozen. My nice husband defrosts it, cuts into thin strips, marinates it, then puts it in the dehydrator. It never cooks.

Latest posts

Back