Making a Camping Cabin for $5!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some form of "tent living" is pretty much the least expensive way to go. How about purchasing a small chunk of land in a very isolated area, and gradually put in a "wall tent," say a 10' x 20' one, equip it with a "pottie" for when you can't hit the latrine outside (cold winter night!), a "bed-in-a-box" mattress/pillow, a "fire box" for cooking purposes and heat in the winter??? Lay in a huge supply of charcoal, your basic tools needed to work with, as many MREs as you can reasonably store, blankets, canned goods/dry goods, etc. Take your time and "build it up," maybe even add a second wall tent for storage. "Power" is not an absolute necessity. Water is, however, and you should get your chunk of land near a fast flowing, deep stream that (hopefully) runs year round. If you are in a cold climate, wall tents can be insulated as heavily as you want and interior paneling put up. A "wall tent" can be turned into a SHTF home very handily.

https://www.usmilitarytents.com

I passed up an opportunity to buy a big wall tent at an estate sale. The owner had died and his kids were just getting rid of everything. It had been used 1 time and was like new. He wanted $100 for it. I thought it didn't have the poles to put it up. After he sold it for $75 he told me it had everything it came with when new. I'll regret that for a long time but oh well. I did buy his utility trailer for $300 so I didn't miss out completely.
I watched one of those Alaska shows. The guy lived way off grid, about 250 miles from the nearest road. The guy doing the show asked him why he had a tent set up by his cabin. He said it was in case his cabin burned down in the winter so he would have an emergency shelter and wouldn't freeze to death. I hadn't thought about that before.

I passed up an opportunity to buy a big wall tent at an estate sale. The owner had died and his kids were just getting rid of everything. It had been used 1 time and was like new. He wanted $100 for it. I thought it didn't have the poles to put it up. After he sold it for $75 he told me it had everything it came with when new. I'll regret that for a long time but oh well. I did buy his utility trailer for $300 so I didn't miss out completely.
I watched one of those Alaska shows. The guy lived way off grid, about 250 miles from the nearest road. The guy doing the show asked him why he had a tent set up by his cabin. He said it was in case his cabin burned down in the winter so he would have an emergency shelter and wouldn't freeze to death. I hadn't thought about that before.
The old saying, two is one and one is none. I have a home now, as do all of us, but a fire or tornado or other disaster could leave any of us homeless.

I would so do this, the wife, not so much lol,

Jac that is a good idea. Will surely add some wrap to our supplies.
My sister in law doesn't like camping either. I talked to her on phone this morning and camping came up. She said no way. I told her I could make her comfortable but she said ain't gonna happen.:)
I am same way about motels so we will stay at campground and they will stay in motel. :cool:

Latest posts

Back