Making arrowheads from a glass bottle

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzleyette___Adams

Hermit on the mountain
Neighbor
"If you’re interested in learning the art of arrowhead making, primitive skills teacher Billy Berger recommends starting with glass, rather than flint.

“If you want to learn flintknapping but don’t have the right type of stone, don’t despair,” Berger says. “Glass is plentiful, free, and it flakes much easier than flint.”

Learning the basics of arrow-making on glass makes it easier to transfer those skills to flint, he says."

https://returntonow.net/2018/05/13/how-to-make-an-arrowhead-from-a-glass-bottle/

Haha! When I first learned flintknapping, I looked like I had escaped from a trainwreck... cuts every. danged. where. (Whaaa???? How'd did it get THERE?)

TIP: Before beginning a knapping session, lay down a large tarp on the ground to catch flying chips which won't be fun to find later...the hard way. Eye protection is not a bad idea. I would imagine there were more than a few one-eyed First Americans back in the day; blinded because of flying chips.

In a grid down situation or the SHTF, Uknow A friend of mine who has some knowledge in the art of knapping said that his instructor was pleased that so many loved to learn the old ways but in a modern PAW it is more efficient and deadly plus not to mention easier to build steel arrowheads there will be plenty lying around.

In a grid down situation or the SHTF, Uknow A friend of mine who has some knowledge in the art of knapping said that his instructor was pleased that so many loved to learn the old ways but in a modern PAW it is more efficient and deadly plus not to mention easier to build steel arrowheads there will be plenty lying around.
I am wondering how? Now that I have read this, I also wonder if using cans and cutting them out might work as an option? I know nothing.

About metal arrowheads...I would think to do much good, it needs to be at least this sharp:
(This video is a real-world comparision test on a deer)

And, if you don't have the metal cutter or grinding tools when you need them, you can use a wide variety of found materials to quickly make a deadly sharp arrowhead out of glass, broken toilet bowls (or toilet watertank covers), dishes, glasses, baking pans, etc.

No special equipment is needed to make the arrowheads. In the video linked in the OP, the guy uses what I use: deer antler and stone. If you don't have a deer antler point, you can use a thick rigid piece of copper wire or a large-ish nail as a pressure flaker.

Of course, to do a great job, the arrowhead does not need to be as pretty as his (think of all the old misshapen Native American arrowheads we find today).

NOTE: THERE IS SOME PROFANITY, CAUTION IS ADVISED.

ETA: Thanks, TMT Tactical, for adding the above caution. I had forgotten about that part in the video. Although it was on the mild side, it may have been better to just not put the video up here. At any rate, it's kinda late in the game now to just yank it out of the thread. (But as a homeowner, I admit to laughing way harder than I should, lol.)

I love this guy's sense of humor! Check out "How to Kill Termites Yourself."

Here, you can see his other useful primitive living skills videos (not a whole lot there, but some are useful):
https://www.youtube.com/user/primitivepathways/videos

However, on his website, there are some excellent instructional videos for making bows, arrows, etc.
http://primitivepathways.com/

Last edited:
@Grizzleyette___Adams Both videos are outstanding. First video was very informative and enlightened. I did not know how potent flint arrowheads were. Amazing. While steel / thick brass will be easier to work with, in a long term SHTF event, glass is going to be easier to find. Folks just need to remember that one-eyed First American.

Second video note: I do have a small caution for residents that live in earthquake country. Many slab homes have pretensioned steel cables running through the slab. If you drill into one of these cables, your are going to have a VERY BAD day. Check out the slab construction BEFORE Drilling. These cables are pretensioned to about 20,000 pounds and will rip the concrete floor apart if cut.

I am wondering how? Now that I have read this, I also wonder if using cans and cutting them out might work as an option? I know nothing.

I know I had a can that I used to make iceberg lettuce and onion salad with mayo. It was perfect for chopping. An old friend of ours learned it in the army. Don't think the cans today will work?

Grizzleyett, my making things like this is over but thanks fro the idea.

My brother makes arrow heads from glass, obsidian, flint and stone. He also has made his own bows and arrows. I have made crossbows and the bolts (arrows) for them. I like guns better and I have made a few from scratch. If you have a need, it is nice to be able to make something that fills that need. I keep some scrap stainless around to make arrowheads but I have made some very good arrowheads from bone and obsidian too.

I am going to use steel heads.
If I can, I will use stainless steel.
I like the compound bows, also.
One hundred years some one may make a long bow, but I & my son, maybe grandson will use a compound bow.
I figure I will have to make about 400-600 heads, may buy some of the large animal heads also.
I have seen the make a arrow head out of the bottom of a soda bottle vid.
I liked it, but the time to make them is to long for me.
I can make most of my heads out of scrap metal.
However it is a good skill to past on to the younger hunters.

This has to do with making AHs but the same friend who told me about the metal AHs made an other comment after seeing Griz As vid on the stone vs metal. His observation was that we are using to strong of bows in the area of self defense. In the hunting arena having the arrow pass thru game is a plus because it will leave a blood trail and the game animal will bleed out quicker. He said that in human contact warfare you will note in the photographs of human bodies that were found in the western era the arrow shafts would seem to only be stuck in four to six inches. He noted that this type of arrow performance is a distinct advantage against a human adversaries. With the arrow not passing thru ,every type of movement by the target causes the shaft to wiggle the head inside cutting up more tissues. This performance attribute helps stop a counter attack. Plus he said why did they have dedicated hunting and war bows. Kinda like us with different caliber rifles.

This has to do with making AHs but the same friend who told me about the metal AHs made an other comment after seeing Griz As vid on the stone vs metal. His observation was that we are using to strong of bows in the area of self defense. In the hunting arena having the arrow pass thru game is a plus because it will leave a blood trail and the game animal will bleed out quicker. He said that in human contact warfare you will note in the photographs of human bodies that were found in the western era the arrow shafts would seem to only be stuck in four to six inches. He noted that this type of arrow performance is a distinct advantage against a human adversaries. With the arrow not passing thru ,every type of movement by the target causes the shaft to wiggle the head inside cutting up more tissues. This performance attribute helps stop a counter attack. Plus he said why did they have dedicated hunting and war bows. Kinda like us with different caliber rifles.

Makes good sense to me. I had not thought about the difference. Thanks for the follow up posts. The more we learn the better off we will all be.

So target points for intruders and broadheads for game.
Nope ,Broadheads for both, you want the head to stay in the intruder not pass thru. if you shoot them with target points you might as well just stickum with a pencil.
Um? Quarter inch hole or inch and a half hole, let me think about that.

Latest posts

Back