Making Do

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opi...iC0xXuR8hVHc0fAS3L-3bZ_F2M6yexRXT0EcxThpVyaNE

OPINION
The life-changing magic of making do
The antidote to endless, thoughtless consumption lies not in purging ourselves of the stuff we own, but rather, redefining our relationship with stuff altogether

Several years ago, while living in London, England, my wife met Prince Charles at an event associated with the Prince’s Foundation, where she worked. She returned with two observations: First, the Prince of Wales used two fingers – index and middle – when he pointed. Second, Charles’s suit had visible signs of mending. A Google search fails to substantiate the double-barrelled gesture, but the Prince’s penchant for patching has been well documented. Last year, the journalist Marion Hume discovered a cardboard box containing more than 30 years of off-cuts and leftover materials from the Prince’s suits, tucked away in a corner at his Savile Row tailor, Anderson & Sheppard. “I have always believed in trying to keep as many of my clothes and shoes going for as long as possible … through patches and repairs,” he told Ms. Hume. “In this way, I tend to be in fashion once every 25 years.”

As it happens, double-breasted suits are rather on-trend. But more notable is Charles’s sartorial philosophy, which could not be timelier. The Prince comes from a tradition of admirable frugality – the Queen reuses gift-wrap – but his inclination to repair rather than replace, to wear his clothes until they wear out, is an apt antidote to our increasingly disposable times. Most modern consumers are not nearly so resourceful: The average Canadian buys 70 new pieces of clothing each year, about 60 of which ultimately wind up in a landfill. (Thrift stores only sell one in four pieces of donated clothing.) According to a British study, the average article of women’s clothing is worn seven times before it’s discarded.

Prince Charles's custom is to have his clothes mended and wear them until they're worn out.

Our bloated culture of consumption extends far beyond clothing. Each year, Canadian adults spend about $9,000 for consumer packaged goods – about twice as much as 25 years ago. We replace our smartphones every 25 months. We swap out TVs like toothbrushes. We browse for Instant Pots, pet-hair-removal gloves and spa bath pillows when we’re at dinner, when we’re driving and when we’re drunk. Shopping isn’t just convenient; it’s inescapable. The shiny and new is seldom more than a click and a day away.

Unsurprisingly, we are drowning in stuff. Despite the average Canadian home doubling in size over the past generation – and family size shrinking – the self-storage industry is booming, with nearly 3,000 jam-packed facilities nationwide. And that’s just the stuff we keep: Landfills are overflowing. China has stopped taking much of our recycling. Africa is refusing our used clothing. And the Great Pacific Garbage Patch is one-and-a-half times the size of Ontario – and growing. Worse yet, we are spending money we don’t have: The average Canadian has about $30,000 of non-mortgage debt. Ralph Waldo Emerson put it best: “Things are in the saddle, And ride mankind.”

We are increasingly desperate for a way out. For many, salvation has come via Marie Kondo, author of The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Ms. Kondo’s KonMari method centres on a now-famous question: Does this thing I own spark joy for me? If not, it is to be discarded. Others have found emancipation via figures such as Leo Babauta, Dave Bruno and Tammy Strobel, avowed minimalists who own 50, 100 and 72 things, respectively.

It is easy to understand the appeal of these alternative ideologies of consumerism, both of which reflect the same fundamental truth: All this stuff isn’t making us happy. Minimalism is simple but extreme; KonMari has broader appeal, promising a more fulfilling relationship with things, once we’ve purged ourselves of the non-joy-producing inventory. But KonMari asks both far too much of our things, and not nearly enough. When Prince Charles opens his closet, surely he does not ask if his fine double-breasted suit sparks joy. Instead, he asks: “Does this fine double-breasted suit fulfill my need for today, which is to wear a fine double-breasted suit while pointing at my subjects with two fingers?” It is a profoundly simple question, the spirit of which has been lost entirely today. In asking this question, Charles affirms his position as an unlikely champion for the forgotten virtue of making do...

clapping-Skype-Emoticons-and-Skype-Smileys-cheat-code.gif
Excellent article. clapping-Skype-Emoticons-and-Skype-Smileys-cheat-code.gif

We need to take a step back from all of this consumerism. Sans guns of course.

View attachment 25346 Excellent article. View attachment 25346

We need to take a step back from all of this consumerism. Sans guns of course.
We do live in times where people buy and get rid of lots of stuff. One thing about Prince Charles clothing lasting for years and being repaired is that it is probably well made with some of the best fabric available.

We just get asked "how do you do it" which is code for we don't understand how you bought a home on a pension and still get new clothing occasionally and run two secondhand cars and aren't broke and can save money. I told my friend that while people were openly saying behind our backs that we were broke we were saving between 50 - 75% of our income towards our home deposit and I told her we buy most of our groceries on end of clearance sales or op shops. What people see on the outside is not what is actually going on like the old saying says you can't read a book by it's cover.

The reason is that as @phideaux says we are "tightwads AKA frugal or "stingy"as DH put it".

Like Charles we repair clothing and only throw it out when it is completely useless and then most likely turn it into cleaning rags. We buy secondhand clothing or heavily discounted end of clearance sales on shoes and everything else and price check before purchasing, secondhand furniture if we can get it and other items. Even prepping items we buy at a discount. One of our pet loves is recycling building materials rather than buying them new and it amazing what you can build with it.

We have everything we "need" but not into buying what is not important to us and that is the key to not being on the consumerism bandwagon is to only buy the things you need and not everything your heart desires.

Last edited:
@phideaux and those dollar savings on multiple things saves a lot of money over the course of a year. DH used to fuss too but now he sees and documented what we save too and sees we were well able to put a 40% deposit down on our home too.

Our retail sales in Australia are at their worst since the GFC aparently but I think people are getting wiser. Our wages have not increased here in years and are going backwards, capital city housing prices are astronomical and people are realising they simply don't have much of their disposable income to spend anymore.

Wife fusses a little about how much time I spend researching something just to find the lowest price .
Sometimes only save a dollar, but that's a dollar .

Jim

Mine does the same thing. But I have shown her that saving money can also translate into getting better quality, or even exactly what you want. You just have to be patient.

Our retail sales in Australia are at their worst since the GFC aparently but I think people are getting wiser. Our wages have not increased here in years and are going backwards, capital city housing prices are astronomical and people are realising they simply don't have much of their disposable income to spend anymore.
I think things are similar in America. Many people really struggle to make ends meet. Housing keeps going up in cost. Many young people could save for years and never have a down payment. I know someone whose down payment was more than I paid for my house. Wages mostly are not going up, except for a few select types of jobs.

I think that applies to a lot of things besides clothing. Making your own repairs to your homes, vehicles, even garden tools, or food processing tools. There are so many things that you can fix or improve without spending funds. To me even checking out a book or magazine from the library to learn how to do a new task, learn a subject to do a new task.

I think that applies to a lot of things besides clothing. Making your own repairs to your homes, vehicles, even garden tools, or food processing tools. There are so many things that you can fix or improve without spending funds. To me even checking out a book or magazine from the library to learn how to do a new task, learn a subject to do a new task.
I so agree. It was how I was raised.

I had a pair of jeans for several years till they finally wore a hole in one leg. I cut from the waist about an inch from the zipper all the way down and back up the rear. The wife stitched up the cut and put elastic in the cuff. I cut up the bad leg and a couple of dead T-shirts and now have a rag bag in my shop. Use it up and then repurpose as much as possible.

Last edited:
Us here too we will repair and maintain what we own by ourselves if we can.

DH only the other day fixed the bonnet lock mechanism in the car that literally disconnected when a cockatoo flew into the front of the car. Did either of us know how to do it no but we could see how to get to it by pulling off part of the under body protection on the front of the car and putting his hand in there and clipping it back in. Tested it and works perfectly. We were due to take it for it's service the next day so we think we saved about $50 in labour costs. If we don't know how to do something we look at things logically and then it mostly works repairing it.

Us here too we will repair and maintain what we own by ourselves if we can.

DH only the other day fixed the bonnet lock mechanism in the car that literally disconnected when a cockatoo flew into the front of the car. Did either of us know how to do it no but we could see how to get to it by pulling off part of the under body protection on the front of the car and putting his hand in there and clipping it back in. Tested it and works perfectly. We were due to take it for it's service the next day so we think we saved about $50 in labour costs. If we don't know how to do something we look at things logically and then it mostly works repairing it.
Often times, you can find how to fix things on the internet, sometimes YouTube, but sometimes just in a search result.

Often times, you can find how to fix things on the internet, sometimes YouTube, but sometimes just in a search result.

Yup! I fixed a heating element on my stove ths way. I also fixed my washer that just had a balancing stone get caught up on the inside. I thought for sure I'd have to replace the washer since it was NOT usable the way it was acting. Nope. A quick internet search on how to fix it and BAM!.....problem easily solved. Lots of cash saved.

I also just received a dead lithium battery that I ordered online. I just looked up how to bring a dead battery back to life. I'm going to show it to hubs when he gets home so hopefully we can use this battery instead of just tossing it to the recycling bin.

Sometimes when something stops working, instead of just throwing it away, take it apart and see if you can spot the problem. My steamer quit the other day and I was bummed since it is no longer manufactured. I took it apart and the problem was easily spotted. Hubs got the small element he needed to replace it and it works again!! We are not sure what caused the original problem, so I won't ever leave it on without someone being there, but I wouldn't do that anyways. I'm not sure how long this fix will work, but however much more life I get out of it is worth not tossing it in the trash right now.

My parents were raised with the mindset of Depression mindset.
Hence I was raised with Depression mindset.
I am very frugal, extremely frugal.
I remake my clothes as long as I am able.
Hardly ever pay full price for anything including new to me Fiat.
I make, recycle, remake and make do with items.
Firm believer in hand me downs.
I dehydrate, can, garden, meat as much as I can.
Only thing I don't go super frugal on is Strawberry's medical needs.
But I make things for the grand daughter.
My big splurge is Bingo weekly.
If something comes into my apartment, something has to go out.
This cuts down on clutter.

Last edited:
One thing about the throwaway society, So many products made today is that much of it is made to fail quickly, rather than last so long as things used to. Keeps profits up for business.
This is true. Many people throw things away rather than return or exchange them as well. Or donate!

Last edited:
It doesn't matter what problem you are trying to solve someone has had the same problem before you did and the answer is online.
Car problems, home repair, appliances you name it the answer is out there somewhere.
I used the internet to repair medical equipment several times.
A woman posted an ad on Craigslist asking for help with her 1 year old dishwasher. I cut and pasted her problem to my search engine and the answer was there.
She had momentarily lost power during a wash cycle and she had to hold 2 buttons and turn the machine on to clear the code.
She emailed back and said that fixed her dish washer and saved her a $300 service call.

Aside from the solar, we have close to $40 thousand into our place now, including buying the property. If we don't know how to do something we learn how to do it. It has saved us a fortune. The solar is the only thing we had put in for us.

Great thread. I'm late to the party, but @Bacpacker , you mentioned things being made to fail. I totally agree! For some time now, if I need something, I add it to my hunt list. It takes some patience, but I end up with higher quality items that will most likely outlive me.
Our clothes other than shoes come from thrift. We now both work in a metal fabrication shop so our clothes get really worn. We wear them until they are indecent.
@Sewingcreations15 first, you're a pretty amazing gal. And second, so right - we don't need so much of what is promoted. You've done a remarkable job at tracking and saving. It's inspiring.
I'm not big on the whole spark joy thing, but read her book and the one tidbit I thought was valuable was her advice to get all like things together. When we were moving, I got all our blankets together. We could have started our own warming station! About 1/3 went away. Same goes for books, clothes, hobby items etc.
So dare I ask some of the things you do to "make do. 1 thing I do is when hubby burns too many holes in his shirts (job hazard) I cut 4 "paper towels" from the back. If the sleeves are in good shape, I can get 1 from each. They are washable or if too grimy, can throw away, no big deal. I haven't bought paper towels for years.
I know we all do funny things like that. Would love to hear.

Great thread. I'm late to the party, but @Bacpacker , you mentioned things being made to fail. I totally agree! For some time now, if I need something, I add it to my hunt list. It takes some patience, but I end up with higher quality items that will most likely outlive me.
Our clothes other than shoes come from thrift. We now both work in a metal fabrication shop so our clothes get really worn. We wear them until they are indecent.
@Sewingcreations15 first, you're a pretty amazing gal. And second, so right - we don't need so much of what is promoted. You've done a remarkable job at tracking and saving. It's inspiring.
I'm not big on the whole spark joy thing, but read her book and the one tidbit I thought was valuable was her advice to get all like things together. When we were moving, I got all our blankets together. We could have started our own warming station! About 1/3 went away. Same goes for books, clothes, hobby items etc.
So dare I ask some of the things you do to "make do. 1 thing I do is when hubby burns too many holes in his shirts (job hazard) I cut 4 "paper towels" from the back. If the sleeves are in good shape, I can get 1 from each. They are washable or if too grimy, can throw away, no big deal. I haven't bought paper towels for years.
I know we all do funny things like that. Would love to hear.
I watched the Marie Kondo series on Netflix. Some of it was just not me. Some of it was great. I have been going through stuff and keep a working box for donation to the thrift store. Once you start, it is easy. Starting is the problem.

Making towels from unwearable shirts is a great idea. I actually have some clothing I could do this with. I thought I might make a quilt or two with it, but I don't think that is going to happen. I'm too busy with other stuff. There are people who make and sell towels that snap together and wrap onto a roll, like paper towels that can be washed and reused. I've seen them on Etsy. I like the idea of re-purposing something that is no longer usable.

We also buy our clothing mostly at op shops or at end of season clearance sales and find we save a lot of money by doing that.

Thank you @LadyLocust and you are as well and very thrifty in what you do too :) .

Some of the other things we do is -
- Wash out clip seal freezer bags and reuse them until they have holes in them.
- Re-use baking paper until it turns brown and yucky and wipe over between uses and use it for like cooking things.
- Cut up old worn clothing and sheets for cleaning /shed oil rags. Speaking of that might get to the flannelette and make double layer hankies from them shortly.
- While we were saving for our home we revamped bed pillows and unstitched them and put the stuffing into one pillow and sewed them back up and I might add they worked perfectly as it was only the cushioning that was worn. We shouted ourselves some new ones recently as we are now in our home.
- We hunt for bargains at garage sales/op shops/school fetes for items such as the older tools which are far more sturdy and kitchen items such as yoghurt makers and more. We recently bought a perfectly working bread maker for $5 from a school fete and a yoghurt maker from an op shop with all the pieces for $1.
- Rather than buying mulch we use where we can dried grass clippings and leaves we rake from the yard run through the lawn mower. We also if we have trimmed tree branches mulch these up through our palm frond shredder and use them to mulch around our fruit trees here. Hay here in drought can be up to $250 for a jumbo bale :eek: .
- If it rains here we have put our collapsible water tank at the back of our tank stand shed to catch the water and use that water to water our potted plants and to give water to the kangaroos and wallabies rather than use town water which we pay for by the litre.
- We turn off our 315 lt hot water service after it heats overnight and the water stays hot for 3 days for us. We worked out this saves us about $25 a month in electricity costs.
- Our oven also gets turned off at the wall switch so it doesn't use power on standby mode. We just turn it on and reset the clock when we are cooking.
- We cook in bulk sessions to save on electricity costs.
- We quite often buy clearance fruit and vegetables for 50% or more off the cost as long as they are looking okay and this saves us a great deal.
- Our gardening clothing or normal clothing if they get tears we try and mend them if it is possible rather than buy more.

See if I can think of any more things we do later :) .

@Sewingcreations15[/USER] mentioned resetting the timer on the oven. It reminded me... Some days I’m greatly affected by an illness, my short-term memory is worthless. Cooking - my air fryer has an analog timer, fry daddy – no timer, my oven timer was worthless.

These little kitchen timers have saved me big $$ in burned or wasted food over the years. This one was $9 US. Can time 3 different events concurrently. It pays for itself weekly. I saw one model tonight that can time 5 different events concurrently. They even have magnets and stick to the refrigerator door.

These timers have raised my cooking to a whole new level. Great food is sooo much better than so-so food!

Not too many years ago I bought a lot of frozen foods/prepackaged items. No one ever taught me to cook… I was a slow learner on my own. Not anymore, in just the last few years using these timers has given me the confidence to cook everything from scratch. Now I’m even cooking Asian dishes and Cajun cuisine along with standard american fare. I open the freezer or pantry and a dozen ideas for dinner fill my head. I no long open a box of something I don't really like and throw away what I don't eat. Now I control portion sizes, I only cook what I need or something I can portion out for freezing. This saves me Big money every month.

All this from a $9 timer… Hope someone finds this useful.

Timer_v1.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back