Making Do

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing about the throwaway society, So many products made today is that much of it is made to fail quickly, rather than last so long as things used to. Keeps profits up for business.

Most Consumers use the price of the item to determine to purchase, not the quality. Cheap manufactured items will naturally fail sooner than quality built items. The cost of labor compared to the cost of the item determines the 'throwaway' value.

Sometimes I buy cheap stuff. Depends on many factors. Some items don't need to last 50 years when I will only use them once or twice. I weigh most purchases carefully if they are very expensive. I often buy high quality items used for cheap prices.
Some items I only buy the best but I do shop around for the best price on that exact item. Like the grand I just spent on my tires.

@Weedygarden I don’t even stitch the edges. I just cut and use. Amazingly, they don’t really fray. I might have to check out what you mentioned though- sounds like they might make great gifts.

My Mom always used pinking shears to cut fabric.
There are a couple of pairs in the shop but they never get used.

57064-1000-1-3ww-l.jpg

I had a pair of jeans for several years till they finally wore a hole in one leg. I cut from the waist about an inch from the zipper all the way down and back up the rear. The wife stitched up the cut and put elastic in the cuff. I cut up the bad leg and a couple of dead T-shirts and now have a rag bag in my shop. Use it up and then repurpose as much as possible.

Down here we make shorts out of them.Lots of key rings holders on jeans.

Last edited:
I used old jeans to repair the newer ones. I can put a patch in place that you have to get uncomfortably close to see.
I match the color and grain and stitch from behind. Invisible patch!

My grandpa (who raised 3 kids during the great depression) never had a lot of cash but he also had a sayin' "You get what you pay for". In many of cases I've found this to be true. One item I try to aviod skrimping on are shoes. Example... I've always tried to buy quality hiking type boots since I was a young man. The last 20yrs or so dad and I raised cattle. The last decade I spent a great deal of time in the brush hunting wild medicinal plants plus raising cattle. In the first part of this I had no choice than to buy cheap shoes. I'd spend $100 on a pair of boots that would barely last a year before I'd have to get another pair. Most would literally come apart, sole comes off etc.

I finally got a lot of medical bills paid then 11 years ago I bought a pair of Meindl hiking boots for $290. Great boots that lasted for 6 years of hard use. 5 years ago I bought my second pair, same price. That’s $580 on boots over 11 years. This pair has another 2 or 3 years left in them... Over 11 years I saved $500 on boots, have a much more comfortable and safer boot to wear.

My dress shoes (for weddings and funerals) have lasted 22 years, spent $150 on them. A pair of rubber/muck boots from WM is about $20 and will barely last 6 months. A medium quality muck boot is about $75 and will last 3-4 years. I save $80-$90 during that time.

I've found the same adage to be true for quality rain gear and winter coats. I have 3 winter coats. The oldest I bought in 1994 and it’s still good for -30 temps or going out in public, paid $375. Another is more for holidays/dress up occasions. I bought it in 2000, still looks great in public and is still good down to zero degrees. The liner is zip out so I can wear it until late spring and as soon as the leaves start to turn, paid $250.

Don’t get me wrong. I’ve owned 3 pickup trucks since 1980, my only vehicles. I rebuilt all 3 from the ground up at least once with the exception of the transmission. Someone else built those but I installed them. 3 vehicles in 40 years? I’ve saved tons of cash on loan interest and repairs. I can only remember paying someone else to repair one my vehicles twice in 40 years. Once was body work after an accident (I don’t do body work) and the other is this week, not physically able. I do think it’s time for a new vehicle though, I intend it to last the rest of my life.

I hate spending money when I don’t have to but there are times when it pays off in the long term. I guess I have a different definition of making do. My grandpa was right “you get what you pay for”. Sometimes its worth paying a bit more.

Last edited:
From "The American Frugal Housewife", published in 1829
If you would avoid waste in your family, attend to the following rules, and do not despise them because they appear so unimportant: many a little makes a mickle. Look frequently to the pails, to see that nothing is thrown to the pigs which should of been in the grease pot. Look to the grease pot, and see that nothing is there which might have served to nourish your own family, or a poorer one. See that the beef and pork are always under brine; and that the brine is sweet and clean.

From "The American Frugal Housewife", published in 1829
If you would avoid waste in your family, attend to the following rules, and do not despise them because they appear so unimportant: many a little makes a mickle. Look frequently to the pails, to see that nothing is thrown to the pigs which should of been in the grease pot. Look to the grease pot, and see that nothing is there which might have served to nourish your own family, or a poorer one. See that the beef and pork are always under brine; and that the brine is sweet and clean.
I have read that as well:) Sometimes the old writings are more pertinent then what is written today. There is another oldy I like "The Handkerchief Garden." It is essentially about intense gardening in a small space also written long ago.

Latest posts

Back