Making Mixes--recipes we use

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love chai tea, and usually make it from a variety of spices, black tea and milk or half and half. Typical Indian made chai has been sweetened, but I only learned that later and still make it without sugar. I did find this recipe and have come close to buying the ingredients I don't have and making this mix up. I have resisted because of nondairy creamer, which I used to use daily, until about 20 years ago.

https://www.fivehearthome.com/chai-tea-mix-starbucks-copycat-homemade-food-gift/

Chai Tea Mix

Yield: 5 1/2 cups mix

Chai Tea Mix is a unique homemade food gift for those who love Chai Tea! Use the mix to whip up everything from lattes to milkshakes, and include a free printable tag with directions for gift giving!

Ingredients
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon ground allspice
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea (regular or decaf)
  • 1 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1 cup nonfat dry milk powder
  • 1 cup powdered nondairy creamer
  • 1 cup French vanilla powdered nondairy creamer
Instructions

1. Combine spices, tea, sugar, milk powder, and creamers in a large food processor. Blend 1 to 2 minutes, or until mixture becomes a fine powder. Divide mix into gift jars.
  2. TO SERVE: Stir 2 heaping tablespoons of mix into a mug of hot milk or boiling water. (From here, you may chill and serve over ice for Chai Iced Tea Latte.)
  3. TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CHAI OR WHITE CHOCOLATE CHAI: Make Chai Tea using milk, as directed above, and also stir in 2 teaspoons of finely chopped semi-sweet or white chocolate.
  4. TO MAKE A CHAI SHAKE: Blend 2 tablespoons mix, 1/2 cup milk, and 1 3/4 cups vanilla ice cream in a bender.
Notes

You may also make mix in a blender instead of a food processor, but you will probably have to blend the ingredients in batches and then mix all of the powdered ingredients together in a bowl until thoroughly incorporated.

Recipe Management Powered by Zip Recipes Plugin

Adapted from Southern Living Ultimate Christmas Cookbook

To download Printable Chai Tea Mix Directions Tags <<< click here!
Chai-Tea-Mix-Homemade-Food-Gift-by-Five-Heart-Home_700pxTags.jpg

On another thread there was discussion about Zatarain's mixes. This recipe is for red beans and rice. This recipe calls for flour, but corn starch is what I would use because of gluten issues for my daughter. See the comments made on the web site about this as well.
The recipe calls for quick cook red beans. That must be red beans that are cooked an dehydrated.

https://heartilyhomemade.wordpress.com/2014/10/03/copycat-zatarains-red-beans-and-rice-recipe/
Ingredients

• Flour – 1 Tbs
    • Barley flour or any other non-wheat flour (I couldn’t find barley flour in the store so I used garbanzo bean) – 1 tsp
    • Salt – 1/2 tsp
    • Onion powder – 1 tsp
    • Garlic powder – 1 tsp
    • Cajun seasoning – 1 1/2 Tbs
    • Cornstarch – 1/2 tsp
    • Parboiled rice – 1/2 cup
    • Quick cooking red beans – 1/2 cup
    • Dehydrated bell peppers – 1 1/2 tsp
    • Minced onion – 1 Tbs
    • In a small bowl whisk together the flour, salt, non-wheat flour, onion powder, garlic powder, cajun seasoning, and cornstarch.
Pour the powdered mixture into a glass pint jar. You could also use a zippered plastic bag but I personally don’t like to use them because of their impact on the environment.
Add the remaining ingredients to your jar in layers.
Your jar is now ready to be stored in your pantry. As long as the jar is kept in a cool, dry place it should be good for up to six months.
To prepare your Red Beans and Rice pour the contents into a medium size saucepan along with two cups of water (if you want you can also add two tablespoons of butter or oil). Mix well and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Simmer for 25 minutes. Remove lid and let rest for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

I bought the dehydrated bell peppers and quick cooking beans on Amazon.
The parboiled brown rice I found in the grocery store.
It cost me around $3.70 to make each batch. Making things homemade might not save you a ton of money but at least you are able to know that your food is free of harmful food additives. The other great thing about making homemade red beans and rice is that you can make it gluten free!
Sarah Renée Crane

1. 48d963e143fa87db9dc68e77cc133dec
    Melissa
    January 7, 2015 at 8:49 pm
    What is the Barley or non-wheat flour used for? Is it used as a thickener? Could you use cornstarch as a replacement? Also, could I just put in already cooked rice and already cooked beans (dry or canned) to mix in with the spices and the oil/butter?
    • 4e7561bd6dbc62355db94eac78c41ced
      sarahreneecrane
      January 7, 2015 at 11:35 pm
      Melissa,
      Yes you could use cornstarch as a thickener instead of flour but you might want to try using a lesser amount to start. As far as using already cooked beans and rice I would say yes it would work but i would use a little bit more then the recipe calls for and a lot less liquid. You can try playing around with the recipe a little and let me know how it turns out! 🙂

Zatarain's Jambalaya copycat recipe

http://www.lifesatomato.com/2014/04/27/copycat-zatarains-jambalaya/
Copycat Zatarain's Jambalaya

Course: Main

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 3 batches of 4 servings

Ingredients
For the spice mix (makes 3 batches!)
  • 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • 3 tablespoons dried onion flake
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley flake
  • 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon minced dried chives
  • 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
For the jambalaya (makes 1 batch!)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 jar spice mix from above
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1 pound smoked sausage cut into rounds
  • 1 pound 22-24 count shrimp peeled and deveined
Instructions
For the spice mix
  • Combine all ingredients and divide into 3 jars.
  • Seal and add printed instructions if giving as a gift.
  • Store up to 6 months.
For the jambalya
  • Bring the water to boil in a large sauce pan.
  • Add the bell pepper and the spice mix and stir.
  • Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
  • In another saucepan,combine the tomato sauce and sausage. Stir in the shrimp and cook until they turn pink.
  • Combine both pans and mix well. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water and stir.

Pancake Mix (Not mine, saw it in a post onFB)

4 cups flour
2 tablespoons baking soda
3 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons sugar

Mix together. Store in a jar or container.

To use:
1 cup mix
1 egg
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon melted butter

The Old Farmer's Wife is great! She has all kinds of videos that are in line with preparing. This one is for making a cake mix which she keeps in a gallon jar.

In this video, she makes a brownie mix.

One of my favorites on the site,Brownie Mix.
1589483070001.png

Brownie Mix

8 Cups of sugar
6 Cups of unbleached flour
2 Cups of cocoa powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt

Mix together and store in airtight container.

To Make:

2 1/4 C. brownie mix
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C. canola oil (or melted butter or margarine)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square pan. Combine ingredients and mix until smooth. Bake for 30-35 minutes until center is set. Cool, cut, serve.

*try adding mint chips for choco-mint brownies.
*top warm brownies with mini-marshmallows, choco chips and some chopped graham cracker pieces for s'more topped brownies

Texas Sheet Cake

4 C. brownie mix
1/2 C. oil
1 C. water
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10" x 15" jelly roll or sheet cake pan. Put brownie mix in bowl. In small saucepan bring oil, water, and sour cream to a boil. Add to the brownie mix. Stir in eggs, sour cream and baking soda. Pour into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare frosting and frost while cake is still hot.

Sheet Cake Frosting

1/2 C. evaporated milk
1/2 C. butter or margarine
1/4 C. cocoa powder
3 C. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

One of my favorites on the site,Brownie Mix.
View attachment 42127

Brownie Mix

8 Cups of sugar
6 Cups of unbleached flour
2 Cups of cocoa powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt

Mix together and store in airtight container.

To Make:

2 1/4 C. brownie mix
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 C. canola oil (or melted butter or margarine)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 C. chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square pan. Combine ingredients and mix until smooth. Bake for 30-35 minutes until center is set. Cool, cut, serve.

*try adding mint chips for choco-mint brownies.
*top warm brownies with mini-marshmallows, choco chips and some chopped graham cracker pieces for s'more topped brownies

Texas Sheet Cake

4 C. brownie mix
1/2 C. oil
1 C. water
1/2 C. sour cream
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10" x 15" jelly roll or sheet cake pan. Put brownie mix in bowl. In small saucepan bring oil, water, and sour cream to a boil. Add to the brownie mix. Stir in eggs, sour cream and baking soda. Pour into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Prepare frosting and frost while cake is still hot.

Sheet Cake Frosting

1/2 C. evaporated milk
1/2 C. butter or margarine
1/4 C. cocoa powder
3 C. powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
Love Texas Sheet Cake!

Aha! We talked about this already!
We made alot of that Zatarains mix today that Weedy gave the recipe to. I have a bunch of dehydrated, cooked beans already, and used those. We did some with red beans and some with black.
We did the Rice a roni chicken one, too:
This recipe makes 3 pint jars:
Mix together 3 cups of rice and 1 cup of broken spaghetti noodles. Divide into jars.
Combine in a bowl and mix: 4 Tablespoons chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons tarragon, 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon onion flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Divide seasonings into 3 small ziplocks. Put in jar of the rice/noodle mix.

To make it: In a saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons butter or oil, add jar of rice and noodle mix and brown it. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of water and the seasoning baggie. Boil. Cover and reduce heat for 20 minutes.

Only spice in my gravy is pepper and thats only if we'er having company.

I've made gravy for over 50 years and never had a complaint.

I have never used powdered onions just cut up or mashed if for french onion dip.

Grease of your choice,bacon,freid chicken or country frid steak grease
flour,salt and water.
To make it Red Eye Gravy just eli use coffee in place of water,no flour and pour over ham.[ sorry phone rang forgot about post.]

We have onion gravy often,
cut up onions and the 3 ingrediants above.
Since some like son in law at times us too started getting heartburn we went back to the old fashioned ways.

Last edited:
Aha! We talked about this already!
We made alot of that Zatarains mix today that Weedy gave the recipe to. I have a bunch of dehydrated, cooked beans already, and used those. We did some with red beans and some with black.
We did the Rice a roni chicken one, too:
This recipe makes 3 pint jars:
Mix together 3 cups of rice and 1 cup of broken spaghetti noodles. Divide into jars.
Combine in a bowl and mix: 4 Tablespoons chicken bouillon
1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons tarragon, 2 teaspoons of parsley, 1/2 teaspoon onion flakes, 1/4 teaspoon of garlic powder. Divide seasonings into 3 small ziplocks. Put in jar of the rice/noodle mix.

To make it: In a saucepan, heat 2 Tablespoons butter or oil, add jar of rice and noodle mix and brown it. Stir in 2 1/2 cups of water and the seasoning baggie. Boil. Cover and reduce heat for 20 minutes.
I had not looked at this thread for a long time. I looked through the notebook of recipes and could not find the Zatarain's mix, LOL! I'm glad to realize that it is here! I'm going to print it out and put it in the notebook. I probably have it printed out somewhere, but can't put my hands on it now.

I had not looked at this thread for a long time. I looked through the notebook of recipes and could not find the Zatarain's mix, LOL! I'm glad to realize that it is here! I'm going to print it out and put it in the notebook. I probably have it printed out somewhere, but can't put my hands on it now.
I know I had forgotten about this thread myself. Canning Granny Blog has some good mixes too. I love mixes and really need to try some of these recipes out. Thank you lady's for posting!!

I'd like to try all these recipes but these days I keep it simple.

Zatarain's Jambalaya copycat recipe

http://www.lifesatomato.com/2014/04/27/copycat-zatarains-jambalaya/
Copycat Zatarain's Jambalaya

Course: Main

Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes

Servings: 3 batches of 4 servings

Ingredients
For the spice mix (makes 3 batches!)
  • 3 cups uncooked long-grain rice
  • 3 tablespoons dried onion flake
  • 3 tablespoons dried parsley flake
  • 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
  • 1 tablespoon minced dried chives
  • 1 tablespoon dried celery flakes
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
For the jambalaya (makes 1 batch!)
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup green bell pepper chopped
  • 1 jar spice mix from above
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 1 pound smoked sausage cut into rounds
  • 1 pound 22-24 count shrimp peeled and deveined
Instructions
For the spice mix
  • Combine all ingredients and divide into 3 jars.
  • Seal and add printed instructions if giving as a gift.
  • Store up to 6 months.
For the jambalya
  • Bring the water to boil in a large sauce pan.
  • Add the bell pepper and the spice mix and stir.
  • Return to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 15-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.
  • In another saucepan,combine the tomato sauce and sausage. Stir in the shrimp and cook until they turn pink.
  • Combine both pans and mix well. If the sauce is too thick, add a bit of water and stir.

What size jars? pints? half pints?

What size jars? pints? half pints?
I think Amish has a chance of giving you a better answer for this. I have never made this. Every time I think of it, I get a life interruption.

3 batches calls for 3 cups of rice, so we know one batch is one cup of rice, which is at least a half pint jar. Then there are the spices and for each batch equals almost 3 tablespoons. (16 tablespoons = 1 cup)

Options:
1. use a pint jar and have some empty space at the top.
2. put the rice in a half pint jar and the spices in a small zip bag which is attached
3. put rice in a half pint jar and the spices in a half cup jar.
4. use a mylar bag and seal the rice and spices together.

I recently found half cup canning jars that come in a box of four. They are a nice size for taking dressings and sauces in a lunch. They would be a great size for the spices.

Edit: What about the green peppers in this? I could see having dried peppers in the spice mix. That would add to the volume.

Last edited:
This one will sound silly, but we don't eat pancakes very often. In a pint jar, I put the dry ingredients for just enough for the 2 of us and on a used lid write the wet ingredients needed to make them (an egg and 1/4 c milk, I think.) It just makes it quicker when we want them, and I don't have to drag out all the ingredients.

I'm the only one who eats pancakes here so I buy the "instant" that uses only water. I use 1/4 cup of mix and enough water to get it to the consistency I want and then make one pancake for myself.( then I put a fried egg on top lol)

Hubby sure was spoiled as a kid food wise

Wonder if I could make a batch using powdered eggs and powdered milk? hmmm something to look into......

I'm the only one who eats pancakes here so I buy the "instant" that uses only water. I use 1/4 cup of mix and enough water to get it to the consistency I want and then make one pancake for myself.( then I put a fried egg on top lol)

Hubby sure was spoiled as a kid food wise

Wonder if I could make a batch using powdered eggs and powdered milk? hmmm something to look into......
I dont see why not. Just add in extra water. . . Seems simple enough, but you will the the true tester :)

I keep jars and reuse them. A woman I know makes most of her Christmas gifts and told me about reusing the jars that cheese comes in for corn chips, Quesa con Salsa, to hold different things she makes for gifts. She cleans up the jars and lids, paints the lids and finds trays and baskets for them to hold them that she also decorates. I looked at one of those jars today and they hold 15 ounces. The lid screws on tight and would be great for rice and some other mixes. Some mixes are large enough for quart jars. The cheese jars would be great for beverage mixes as well.

I saw a video where you can vacuum seal those jars with lids that have the gasket inside it.
You need a Foodsaver canister larger than the jar and you warm the lids to soften the gasket a little ( she used an old heating pad). Fill the jar, place the lid on tight then put in canister and the vacuum seal the canister like usual. You should hear the lid ping.
I haven't tried it yet.

Here. This is not the one I saw but its the same thing.

Last edited:
I saw a video where you can vacuum seal those jars with lids that have the gasket inside it.
You need a Foodsaver canister larger than the jar and you warm the lids to soften the gasket a little ( she used an old heating pad). Fill the jar, place the lid on tight then put in canister and the vacuum seal the canister like usual. You should hear the lid ping.
I haven't tried it yet.
Here. This is not the one I saw but its the same thing.

I have the Foodsaver and the vacuum seal attachment for both size jar lids. I haven't used it in a while.

My grandmother used to make this carrot cake. It is a mix that she made ahead and kept in a bag until she was ready to make the cake. The recipe calls for 3 cups of flour and 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 2/3 cup powdered milk, so this batch is larger than a quart jar. This would work in mylar or a gallon zip bag, or a half gallon jar. I have thought that the carrots could be dehydrated and packaged to add into the larger package. The recipe calls for a cup and a half of whole wheat flour. I have wondered about making it with just all purpose flour, not using the whole wheat.

Grandma's Country Carrot Bundt Cake

Mix:
1 1/2 cup sifted unbleached flour
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 - 2 cups chopped nuts

Mix together all the ingredients in a large bowl. At this stage, it can be put in a plastic bag, labeled, and kept on the pantry shelf for a few days.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 10 inch bundt pan.

Beat into the dry mix:

6 eggs
1 cup poly-unsaturated oil
1 pound carrots, shredded in food processor

Pour the batter into the pan, bake 50 to 60 minutes or until done. Let cool 15 minutes in pan and turn out onto a serving platter. This will keep a week in the refrigerator and freezes beautifully. Cream cheese frosting is optional.

Time to prepare: 15 to 20 minutes.

Cream cheese frosting is NEVER optional! :)

i have a couple favorite DIY mixes that i use

one of my fav is chicken seasoning. its not exactly like poultry seasoning, i like it a bit better

13 1/2 T salt
9T basil
3T rosemary
4T + 1teasp of following
garlic powder,mustard powder, paprika, black pepper, thyme
4 tsp celecy seed
4 tsp parsley
1T cumin
1T chicken bullion

this makes about 1 Q jar. i sprinkle it on all things chicken

DIY dry mushrrom soup ,ix

4C dry milk