• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Making Money on the Side

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using 22 LR for target shooting. Local gun shop has bricks of 500 for $14. Are they that cheap everywhere?
Haven't seen anything quite that cheap. I think Wally world had Thunderduds for $16 and Win 555s for $17 or 18. Lots and lots of bricks of Golden Bullets are at the $20 mark in my area. I don't buy anything that's not a plated HP so I will pay a bit more than some people do...I've no use for solids even though they're cheap.

My dad stumbled across a way to make a little side cash. He has a couple acres on his farm place that used to be pasture/feedlot or just wasted space. An acquaintance that grows organic produce came to him with an offer to rent some of that ground to grow melons and organic sweet corn. It's not much money, but he doesn't have to put any effort into it...

I bet he got a free melon or two out of the deal as well...

I saw a woman I hadn't seen in a while and I asked her what she has been up to. She has been narrating audio books. She is working on her third book, and the first two are not up yet for purchases, but almost. More and more people are listening to books, as opposed to reading them and therefore buying audio books. I asked her about the process. There is an audition process. There is a list of books you can audition for. If the author accepts your audition, you get to read the book for them. I asked how long it takes to read a book. Her first book took her 22 hours. She said you don't realize how hard it is to read aloud until you have done it. She can read in two hour increments, once a day. She created a studio in a large bedroom closet. The closet has clothing which helps to create a sound barrier. She also hung some moving pads on the ceiling to give a sound barrier. She also reads from midnight to early morning so that there are less noises to interfere. How does it pay? She gets $1 for each audible book that she narrates sells. The books are available for sale for 7 years. I do not know what equipment is required.

I asked her how to find this kind of work. I am always curious about these kinds of things, but don't think it is for me. https://www.acx.com/

Last edited:
Not sure any one is interested in this type of work but I paid for 2/3 of our recent Disney vacation from cash back sites and such. I have tried a bunch over the years and settled on 2 sites I like. I use TopCashBack.com for my online buying. They don't have a minimum to earn before you can redeem your cash and they don't push for referrals as hard as the other sites like Rakuten(E-bates). They offer bonuses often and the money racks up fast if you buy online often. The other is Swagbucks.com. I mostly answer surveys when I have spare time and buy gift cards through their sister site MyGiftCardsPlus.com. I get points for buying the giftcards (which I use to budget things like the grocery bill or when we eat out) and can redeem the points for giftcards I can use later like Amazon or even Visa. I have even redeemed points for Visa giftcards then turned around a used the Visa to buy different giftcards to earn more points.

In years past I used the money I earned with these sites to do our Christmas shopping. Right now I am a few years ahead on gifts for the girls so I am not really saving for that. But I figure it can boost our vacation savings like it did when we went to Disney last year. Maybe I'll start saving for that WDW trip K wants to go on in 4 or so years.

*FYI Both the links to the sites above are my referral links. If you don't want to use them I am totally okay with that.

I just tried the sites & they moved me to more sites & never gave me the loot they dangled in front of me.
So I am staying away from sites until I get all the spam off my email.
Grimm, glad it worked for you.

I just tried the sites & they moved me to more sites & never gave me the loot they dangled in front of me.
So I am staying away from sites until I get all the spam off my email.
Grimm, glad it worked for you.

That is why I only recommended the sites I use and have for several years. Keeping your emails is key to keep these types of sites honest. TopCashBack allows you to open claims for missing cash back. You just upload your order emails and you get the credit to your account. Swagbucks does the same. Once a month I double check what has tracked and what has not then open claims if needed.
Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.37.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 9.36.24 PM.png

I am a Sports Official. I have done every level from itty bitty beginners to D1 College. Only doing High School now and some recreational leagues. I do it year round, but this mess has put the kabosh on all of it.

It is a labor of love, and I have been doing it a very long time. If I had it to do over again starting after college, it is something I would have pursued as a career.

I am a Sports Official. I have done every level from itty bitty beginners to D1 College. Only doing High School now and some recreational leagues. I do it year round, but this mess has put the kabosh on all of it.

It is a labor of love, and I have been doing it a very long time. If I had it to do over again starting after college, it is something I would have pursued as a career.
A former student of mine did this all through h.s. Evidently, there is a challenge to find enough officials for games. If I remember correctly, his mother told me that this work paid well in comparison to other work a teenager might do. I could be wrong, but I think he made $18 an hour. He was not going to get rich doing that, but a few hours a day on the weekends adds up, and likely helps to keep some young men out of trouble.

weedy garden
You outta know be by now. You get a story with some of my answers. LOL
Wifey worked in Austin at the UT Bell Tower accounting department. with bunch of other ladies. When valentines came around, I sent here a Bouquet of cookie roses instead of red roses. Seems they were a hit.
Background
The year before, I sent red roses like every year, Some poor Schmuck. Decided not to do the roses thing. Instead he took the day off fro work. Picked his wife up for a nice lunch.
OMG the Office Hens clucked about him not sending roses and tore that man up behind his back.
So I know. That if the clucking Hens in that office approved of the cookie flowers then they are OK. to send out as gifts

OK here is the DEAL....They cost around $50.00..
You know
and I know that those cookies do not cost more than 2 dollars to make from scratch
$48.00 in profit per. not to damn shabby

cookie_flowers.png

weedy garden
You outta know be by now. You get a story with some of my answers. LOL
Wifey worked in Austin at the UT Bell Tower accounting department. with bunch of other ladies. When valentines came around, I sent here a Bouquet of cookie roses instead of red roses. Seems they were a hit.
Background
The year before, I sent red roses like every year, Some poor Schmuck. Decided not to do the roses thing. Instead he took the day off fro work. Picked his wife up for a nice lunch.
OMG the Office Hens clucked about him not sending roses and tore that man up behind his back.
So I know. That if the clucking Hens in that office approved of the cookie flowers then they are OK. to send out as gifts

OK here is the DEAL....They cost around $50.00..
You know
and I know that those cookies do not cost more than 2 dollars to make from scratch
$48.00 in profit per. not to damn shabby

View attachment 41381
This looks like a great idea!
Some people have ideas and skills to make things like this happen successfully. There are people who have creative ideas like this and the know how to do it.

There was a post by a woman who was just ready to start a new job when the stay at home order came. She was caught with no income. She loved to cook and asked if anyone would like some of the items she mentioned. The woman was so busy. I haven't seen her for a while, so I hope she went back to work. I know she made lots of bundt cakes. I have no idea where she got the flour, but she made it work. The other part was that many people recognized her challenge and ordered cakes and other foods. I liked that she didn't just beg for money or help, she offered a service, doing what she knew how to do, and it was a win-win.

This looks like a great idea!
Some people have ideas and skills to make things like this happen successfully. There are people who have creative ideas like this and the know how to do it.

There was a post by a woman who was just ready to start a new job when the stay at home order came. She was caught with no income. She loved to cook and asked if anyone would like some of the items she mentioned. The woman was so busy. I haven't seen her for a while, so I hope she went back to work. I know she made lots of bundt cakes. I have no idea where she got the flour, but she made it work. The other part was that many people recognized her challenge and ordered cakes and other foods. I liked that she didn't just beg for money or help, she offered a service, doing what she knew how to do, and it was a win-win.

Some people around here sell tamales or link sausage on a hot dog bun on construction sites at break time
Usually break is at 9am and 12 noon But. If your tamales are good. break time is when they see your car drive up

The process of making tamales is usually two days long. The making of the masa and preparing the stuffing (chicken, beef or pork) happens one day. The second day is when they are assembled. There is much work involved in making them. Often a large extended family will get together on the second day and put them together, while large pots for steaming them are on the stove. Families will make 100's of them in one sitting.

The photo I am attaching is some of the women from a family which had many children who went to a school I taught in, and in fact, some of these women were students. Missing from this photo are the men who also helped with tamale making.

Rodriguez family tamale making.jpg

My mom and wife used to make them. Neither are able any longer. And theybalwaysbzaid they needed several more people to be efficient.

Besides they were good, but not even close to the mexican lady at work.

My mom and wife used to make them. Neither are able any longer. And theybalwaysbzaid they needed several more people to be efficient.

Besides they were good, but not even close to the mexican lady at work.
A former assistant of mine did a big tamale making project every fall. She made around 50 dozen tamales, so they could have them at her house about once a week. She had several levels to the project and it was something she did on weekends for a while. She told me all the steps by weekends, but I don't remember them. The process included making green chili as well. I don't think she had as much help as the extended family I showed earlier. It may have been her, her two daughters and her husband. Imagine spending a weekend making tamales.

When you work in the inner city, and there are many native Spanish speakers around, there is always someone selling burritos. We could usually get them for $1 a piece. After I bought a burrito from a woman who didn't speak English, and she had left, a woman told me not to buy burritos like that. She said that we have no idea what was in the burrito, how to locate the person, how good the contents actually were. I had eaten many good burritos previously, but she was right. I stopped buying burritos out of coolers from people I didn't know.

My daughter worked in a turkey plant for four years. Most of the other employees were Hispanic. They taught her how to fix tamales the right way.

She said that we have no idea what was in the burrito, how to locate the person, how good the contents actually were. I had eaten many good burritos previously,

This is the store where I bought my swords at, I also went to stores just like this to eat,,...I have no idea what it was, but it was good every time I ate it
monkey, dog, cat,rat water buffalo, snake. or all the above
when you fry something in coconut oil, it all tastes the same

store....png
DSCN5467.JPG

Here is a amusing story about the negrito,
They were hired by the Base commander to help patrol the base fence line. If they caught someone trying to sneak in. they were paid about 50 pounds of rice per capture.
THAT is MEGA bucks to theses guys. In the morning, The MP's found 6 dead bodies hung on the fence with a grinning negrito standing next to each one . The base commander fird the King and his guys.
The king asked the Commander if he was sure? Commander said yes, that they can not kill the locals.
That night. All of the MP's that were on duty guarding the F-15's on the flight line [4 guards per plane, 1 on each wing tip, 1 in the front 1 in the back] The next morning had a chalk "X"
on there boot. LOL....The king asked the Commander if he was sure that his people were still fired. The commander gave then their jobs back and asked the king to please do not kill the locals. just tie em up !!!!!

Here is a amusing story about the negrito,
They were hired by the Base commander to help patrol the base fence line. If they caught someone trying to sneak in. they were paid about 50 pounds of rice per capture.
THAT is MEGA bucks to theses guys. In the morning, The MP's found 6 dead bodies hung on the fence with a grinning negrito standing next to each one . The base commander fird the King and his guys.
The king asked the Commander if he was sure? Commander said yes, that they can not kill the locals.
That night. All of the MP's that were on duty guarding the F-15's on the flight line [4 guards per plane, 1 on each wing tip, 1 in the front 1 in the back] The next morning had a chalk "X"
on there boot. LOL....The king asked the Commander if he was sure that his people were still fired. The commander gave then their jobs back and asked the king to please do not kill the locals. just tie em up !!!!!
I have never heard of negritos in the Philippines.

I have never heard of negritos in the Philippines.
They Are there. A helicopter crashed in the mountains
USAF mobed up and went to rescue the guys inside
When they got there. the helicopter had been scavenged for anything usable
the dead buried. the wounded under shelter and cared for NO Negritos in site

Went out to buy some wood for my shop projects. Lumberyard was almost out of wood, and prices have escalated.

I do 3D drawings for people with small interior design/decorating projects. I haven't done the BIG one yet and I'm hoping to soon.

It's not something I've done very often but I am pushing for more projects right now. Actually going to put money into advertising on social media.

I have thought of doing other things. Like commission portraits or homemade decor, with clay or wood for instance. But those would require way more time than I can actually spend on them. Maybe every once in a while. Or I just have to make the time for it.

Latest posts

Back