Making soap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was sitting in a bar in Naples Italy talking to a bar maid. Eventually I had enough and asked...

Why do all Italians smell like they need a bath?

She answered asking...

Why do all Americans smell like flowers?

BO body odor was cast as bad by deodorant makers to sell deodorant. The marketing had not made it to Europe yet.

Ben

I was sitting in a bar in Naples Italy talking to a bar maid. Eventually I had enough and asked...

Why do all Italians smell like they need a bath?

She answered asking...

Why do all Americans smell like flowers?

BO body odor was cast as bad by deodorant makers to sell deodorant. The marketing had not made it to Europe yet.

Ben
Hah! . . . back in the day . . .What was the name of that soap that made you smell like you were doused in antiseptic?

Camphor - seems like it smelled like camphor. Was there a soap with that in its name? Campho-Phenique maybe?
Can't answer that Q but I was probably using Irish Spring back then. Same stuff recommended now to deter deer from deterring our trees and shrubs.

Go figure!

Ben

Can't answer that Q but I was probably using Irish Spring back then. Same stuff recommended now to deter deer from deterring our trees and shrubs.

Go figure!

Ben
The soap I'm thinking of came before Irish Spring - which I liked.
Hah. "Kelvinator" just popped into my head. No, Bob, that ain't it.

Camphor - seems like it smelled like camphor. Was there a soap with that in its name? Campho-Phenique maybe?
Back in the old days, Campho-Phenique was a liquid topical anti-itch/disinfectant, Mom used to use it on us kids. Haven't thought about it in years and years.

There were/are "surgical scrub" soaps with Chlorhexidine as the active, I can't remember the brand name from 30+ years ago, but it was definitely a medicinal smell.

Last edited:
Yeah, I believe you are right. The soap's name is still a mystery.
Ooh - the name drifted across my mind! And disappeared before I could grab it . . . wait, there it is again . . . LIFE BUOY. Well the buoy part may not be spelled right, but that's the soap! Damn, memory is a weird and wonderful thing - when it ain't a pain in the arse.

Probably wasn't around by then. I remember it from the 40s-50s.
Can't help there, my Mom and Dad were married in 1955. IIRC, it was mentioned in a Robert Heinlein Novel "Glory Road", published early 60's ?

And there is it is, thank goodness for searchable PDF documents:

“She tweaked his ear. "I am not senile." She added, "Soap, Rufo. And come along, Oscar; that's Rufo's work."

Rufo dug a cake of Lux out of that caravan load and gave it to her, then looked at me thoughtfully and handed me a bar of Life Buoy.”

Excerpt From
Glory Road
Robert A Heinlein

I really need to upgrade my brains filing system. I swear it's a card catalog like the libraries used to have.

Last edited:
We have used irish spring for deer repellant when we lived where deer are hunted. it must smell like some hunters.
Lye will permanently blind you or at the very least cause permanent eye scaring and trauma if any gets in your eyes. And unlike other toxic things like battery acid it can not be rinsed out and continues it's damage.
Really consider if that is a risk you want to take, when gallons of non scented soap can be bought for pennies.

We have used irish spring for deer repellant when we lived where deer are hunted. it must smell like some hunters.
Lye will permanently blind you or at the very least cause permanent eye scaring and trauma if any gets in your eyes. And unlike other toxic things like battery acid it can not be rinsed out and continues it's damage.
Really consider if that is a risk you want to take, when gallons of non scented soap can be bought for pennies.
Fair enough warning but Come TEOTWAKI we need soap.

That skill is a good addition to our tool box.

Ben

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS wear the proper safety gear for the chemicals you are using. Really, if you have ever used DRANO, you have used lye. Know your chemicals, know your risks, and take the appropriate measures.

Making soap. @Double R are you satisfied with your first soap making? I bought a couple of soap books and haven’t gotten much in the way of supplies yet. I would rather observe in person then under an experienced soap maker start out.
@Terri9630 have you found a recipe that works best for you? There are very few store bought soaps one of my kids is able to use, that’s one reason I want to make my own.

If you have someone who has no other option then make some soap. We have made it with lard and olive oil and if it is aged right it is amazing even in hard water.
But making it for hard times is about like carrying a fire bow as your sole source for fire......I will have a couple of bicks and a few thousand matches in my bag.
The same with soap, you can store lye and use animal fat or right now fill a couple of 30 gallon garbage cans with enough soap products to last you years.

Making soap. @Double R are you satisfied with your first soap making? I bought a couple of soap books and haven’t gotten much in the way of supplies yet. I would rather observe in person then under an experienced soap maker start out.
@Terri9630 have you found a recipe that works best for you? There are very few store bought soaps one of my kids is able to use, that’s one reason I want to make my own.

My soap is simple. Lye, lard and milk (or water). This is the soap calculator I've sused.

https://www.brambleberry.com/calculator?calcType=lye

Last edited:

We are very satisfied with our first batch. Using it now. Works great. Great use for extra home rendered lard. I tried lard that had a bit of a stronger smell and can’t smell a bit of it in the soap so that’s something I will keep in mind for future use when we have some with a stronger smell. Will definitely use this recipe again.
Couple new essential oils arrived today for the next few batches. Going to try other recipes but very happy with the first.
In my opinion if you can cook you can easily make soap. Not complicated just set yourself up before hand and it’s easy.

We are very satisfied with our first batch. Using it now. Works great. I tried lard that had a bit of a stronger smell and can’t smell a bit of it in the soap. Will definitely use this recipe again…In my opinion if you can cook you can easily make soap. Not complicated just set yourself up before hand and it’s easy.
Condensed your post a little.
Is there a particular person (like Terri) or book or YouTube video that helped you, or did you have a hands on instructor?
You’re a motivational poster child! I can cook.

Condensed your post a little.
Is there a particular person (like Terri) or book or YouTube video that helped you, or did you have a hands on instructor?
You’re a motivational poster child! I can cook.

Youtube is what helped me in the long run. I found the (not here) forum to be quite a deterrent.
Here’s the “recipe” I used for my first batch. I found this lady to be very informative.
The most overall help I found was this lady. Her videos were extremely helpful while not overwhelming. She has many videos explaining everything down to what oils do what and why.
As some as I made my first batch I just laughed and said well that was as easy as cooking. It was. Weigh out the ingredients separately, mix as instructed, take temp of lye mix, mix and get to a “trace“ aka pudding or thick cake batter (depending on the recipe) and pour. Very simple. Just be sure temps and weights are accurate. Then the wait game to use it.
Trust me. If I can do it anyone can.

Youtube is what helped me in the long run. I found the (not here) forum to be quite a deterrent.
Here’s the “recipe” I used for my first batch. I found this lady to be very informative.
The most overall help I found was this lady. Her videos were extremely helpful while not overwhelming. She has many videos explaining everything down to what oils do what and why.
As some as I made my first batch I just laughed and said well that was as easy as cooking. It was. Weigh out the ingredients separately, mix as instructed, take temp of lye mix, mix and get to a “trace“ aka pudding or thick cake batter (depending on the recipe) and pour. Very simple. Just be sure temps and weights are accurate. Then the wait game to use it.
Trust me. If I can do it anyone can.

I've never used a thermometer. I just feel the outside of the bowls and when they feel about the same I combine them.

@Terri9630 you go! That’s brave. I love knowing others tread a path with no fear. There is a local lady I met where I work and I’ve watched a few of her YT soapy videos. I’ll take any pointers you two can give!
@Double R what are some of the scents you’re going to use?
And you use the soap calculators or proven recipes?
I’ll catch up later.

@Terri9630 you go! That’s brave. I love knowing others tread a path with no fear. There is a local lady I met where I work and I’ve watched a few of her YT soapy videos. I’ll take any pointers you two can give!
@Double R what are some of the scents you’re going to use?
And you use the soap calculators or proven recipes?
I’ll catch up later.

I can not figure out the soap calculators. Maybe eventually I’ll learn how to actually use them. Once I’ve made a few batches and see what comes of it. I just went off the recipe in her video to start. She sells it so clearly it’s a “proven” recipe. I also have a few in the two books I have that are marked for later use. I know that’s a HUGE no no if you ask the people on “the forum” but I’ll never try it if I’m waiting to figure out the soap calculators. Just my feelings on it.
So far I just picked up a few from brambleberry but the jury is still out on that company for me. What just came in is Hickory & Suede, vanilla oak, frosted fir and pumpkin spice (because it was on overstock sale). My first batch was cedarwood Atlas and I do not recommend it. Thankfully it barely smells at all since curing.

Thanks, @Double R , “but I’ll never try it if I’m waiting to figure out the soap calculators.” Humanity has known how to make soap for a little while now. I think it seemed like rocket science to me but you two make it sound not complicated. I thought it a little risky when she was blending barefoot in a tank top in the YT video you posted.

It seemed like rocket science to me too. Especially after being on the forum for it.
I decided after watching enough videos from the people listed above that it wasn’t.
I figured the key was being careful with the lye. Ok. Not really a big deal. I cook with things that will burn the flesh. What’s the difference really? Yes I know it’s different for real but burn is burn. Mixed it outside (glad I did because of the fumes) and be careful with it. Followed the directions step by step in the video. Had all containers, supplies and tools ready ahead of time. Measured all oils etc ahead of time to be sure I had everything I needed and enough of it.
Worst case is the mix didn’t cure right. Oh well try again. Some errors can be rebatched later and be fixed so I’ve read.
I was careful when I tried the first bar in case I messed up so bad it burned. The loaf acted and looked like it should. All went far smoother than expected.
Wish I had not been so “scared” to do it. It really wasn’t a big deal.
At some point I want to try @LadyLocust’s hot process soap and her laundry detergent.

I did use a crock pot I had in the cupboard for heating the oils and mixing it all together. It was a back up pot so it’s now a dedicated soap crock pot. Worked very well. It turned out to be a bit bigger than needed for the one loaf batch but it still worked out fine.
My loaf gelled perfectly (wrapped in a couple layers of towel) but I didn’t have good gelling with the couple little bars I used little silicone molds for. It was just a little “extra” batter but wrapping it in a towel didn’t allow it to stay warm enough to gel. They look funny but do seem to be coming around as time goes on. Sounds like they just won’t look as good but will still work fine after they’ve sat longer. So maybe next time I will wrap in a towel and put that on a heating pad on low for a while or……. 🤔

Latest posts

Back