Making soap

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to but decided I wanted a solid mold I knew was going to work for the first few times. I got a wood loaf mold with a silicone liner. To me I felt like the less stuff I had to “worry” about the better. Didn’t want to struggle with parchment falling in, box leaking or anything while trying to be sure I did the steps right and the batter didn’t set faster than I could figure it all out. It was about $20 for two loaf molds with silicone liners I think on Amazon for a “cheap” set. Actually turned out being surprised at how well they worked. I had extra small silicone molds i had bought for freeze drying I wasn’t using that I put the extra batter in.

Oh, I thought you meant the silicone molds in general didn’t work for you, you were saying the smaller ones didn’t. Yes, I bought a couple of those wooden ones with purple liners from Amazon too. I’m glad to hear they worked fine for you.
I plan to use lard or tallow. I’m not so sure how well I’d do making so-called “vegan” soaps. I bought some once, commercial brand, they were moldy, made of mostly olive oil. Lol yuck.
Did you buy the blender? I’m getting geared up in my mind to do this, that’s why all the questions.

No I just didn’t have the “little” thin silicone mold warm enough. The soap should still be usable it just doesn’t look “pretty”.
The loaf mold worked flawlessly. Just wrapped it in a double folded towel and tried not to peek. 🙃
I have a vegan friend who makes vegan soap and we’ve had no problems with it. I did a tallow recipe because I’ve wanted another way to use up some of our beef tallow. We’re over run with it.
I do recommend the stick blender. Even with the stick blender my hands got tired. I bough the identical one I already have just in red so I know it’s for soap only.

A9F916C1-F4ED-4271-A973-208AFBFBA483.jpeg
It’s that time again.
Batch 2 for the day. 2 new scents. So far they smell good. Definitely a learning curve for tallow soap.

View attachment 84318
It’s that time again.
Batch 2 for the day. 2 new scents. So far they smell good. Definitely a learning curve for tallow soap.
I like the nice white of the tallow soap. I use it in winter as it helps seal in moisture.

I like the nice white of the tallow soap. I use it in winter as it helps seal in moisture.

Hubby’s pretty happy with it. I have a bar in the shower and the extra batter little bars I use by the sink for hand washing. Will probably find a more “summer” one sooner than later. Still trying to learn the calculators. Have used up a TON of tallow though which is great.

Use an old plastic ice tray and coat it in quick release or Pam.
Makes cute little bars for travel, you can pull the same trick with candles or making fire chunks.

I am going to try just straining aspen wood ash mixed with water and strained, pretty much homemade lye. and see if that works, I really don't know if the tallow and a bit of fragrance are necessary, other than to make soap portable and smell pretty. One more thing on my list of things to try.

I am going to try just straining aspen wood ash mixed with water and strained, pretty much homemade lye. and see if that works, I really don't know if the tallow and a bit of fragrance are necessary, other than to make soap portable and smell pretty. One more thing on my list of things to try.

Fat is necessary. It doesn't have to be tallow. You need lye, fat and water/liquid. Otherwise you will just have lye that will burn you.

It should float an egg when enough lye to make soap.
I've been thinking about making some soap. Have some bear grease to use. Bought a 50 pound bag of caustic soda(lye) for 68 dollars. Now I need to get with the program
I've made what I call "bear bar soap" - pretty much like tallow.
I need to make more soap - am on my last bar. If y'all start smellin' something, well. . . . 😂

It should float an egg when enough lye to make soap.

I've made what I call "bear bar soap" - pretty much like tallow.
I need to make more soap - am on my last bar. If y'all start smellin' something, well. . . . 😂
I could send you some to get ya through. Don’t want stinky ummmm feet. That would be bad

Fat is necessary. It doesn't have to be tallow. You need lye, fat and water/liquid. Otherwise you will just have lye that will burn you.
I left out details in my plan, I forgot to say that the diluted lye would be used for laundry soap. I would try to collect soap berries to add to skin soap along with fat to make it mild enough.

I left out details in my plan, I forgot to say that the diluted lye would be used for laundry soap. I would try to collect soap berries to add to skin soap along with fat to make it mild enough.
You have soap berries there? 😲 Nice!

https://homesteadsurvivalsite.com/castile-soap/

How to Make Castile Soap (The Most Gentle Soap!)​

Estimated reading time: 4 minutes
Castile soap is a biodegradable soap made with olive oil, water, and lye. It was invented in Aleppo, Syria and brought by the crusaders to the Castile region of Spain where it became popular.
For centuries, people have been using this gentle cleanser for everything from bathing skin and hair to washing clothes and floors. After making bars of Castile soap, you can use them in their solid form or blend them with water to create liquid soap.
Article continues below.
In a video by Elly’s Everyday, Elly explains how to make it. Here’s what you’ll need.
Equipment:
  • 2 Large measuring cups
  • Stainless steel pot
  • Large bowl
  • Spatula
  • Handheld blender or mixer
  • Meat thermometer
  • Kitchen scale
  • Rubber gloves and safety goggles (for handling lye)
Ingredients:
  • 600 grams or 21.2 ounces of light olive oil
  • 109 g or 3.8 ounces water
  • 79 g or 2.8 ounces of sodium hydroxide (caustic soda)
  • 18 g or 10 drops of essential oil (optional)
Essential oil possibilities:
  • Peppermint
  • Orange, lemon or grapefruit
  • Lavender
  • Rose
  • Pine
  • Sandalwood
Caution! One of the steps involves making lye which is a highly caustic chemical that can burn the eyes and skin and can harm the lungs if inhaled so work in a well-ventilated room or outdoors.
Wear rubber gloves and safety goggles and keep a spray bottle of vinegar handy. Vinegar neutralizes lye which is a highly alkaline substance. If you get a serious burn—especially in the eyes—or inhale lye too deeply, consider the emergency room.
Directions:
  1. Make the lye solution. When you mix lye and water, it’s important to use the exact measurements indicated in the ingredients list. Carefully add the lye to the water. The mixture will immediately begin to heat up and become cloudy, then clear a bit as it cools. It will take several minutes for the mixture to cool. Use the meat thermometer to test the temperature. The lye is ready to use when it reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius).
Caution: Never add water to lye – always add lye to water. Adding water to lye creates an explosive reaction.
  1. While the lye is cooling, heat up the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Continue heating until the oil reaches 100 degrees Fahrenheit (37.8 degrees Celsius). Use the meat thermometer to determine when the oils are ready to mix with the lye. The oils and lye must be as close as possible to the same temperature to properly blend.
Caution: Neglecting to make sure both the oil and lye are close to the same temperature will result in soap that doesn’t set up correctly. Be sure to use the meat thermometer to measure both mixtures and complete this crucial step.
  1. Carefully pour the lye mixture into the oil mixture. Use a handheld blender or mixer to begin blending everything together. After a few minutes, the mixture will begin to thicken. Continue blending and stirring with the blender for up to 15 minutes. The soap will lighten as it emulsifies. When you can see the trail left by the blender, the mixture has reached “trace.” It should have the consistency of honey.
  2. Add essential oil if you’re using it and stir with a spoon to incorporate. Pour into silicone or Teflon cupcake molds. If using metal cupcake pans lightly oil with olive oil. The mixture should make 10 to 12 soap cupcakes depending on the size of the cupcake molds. Let rest for a few minutes for the soap to thicken up. Cover the cupcake pans and let sit undisturbed for 48 hours. Either invert the pan to release the soap or bend the flexible silicone mold to release them.
  3. Place them on a bread or cookie drying rack and let air dry for 6 weeks up to a few months. The longer you wait, the better the soap will produce fluffier suds and have a better texture.
  4. Wrap in wax paper to store.

Lye is a persistant caustic in the eyes. Meaning it does not get neutralized. We used to make wonderful home made soap but have stopped after my wife got a tiny bit of oven cleaner in her eyes in a workplace accident and lost part of her vision.
We now stock multiple gallons of various soaps and many bars of soap.

I'm wondering about making liquid soap with soap 'bit's' or leftovers. I read it somewhere once, just met the bits, add hot water and something else, and melt. Can anyone offer any light on this?
I have a recipe somewhere about making soap from ivy. I will dig it out to share.

I'm wondering about making liquid soap with soap 'bit's' or leftovers. I read it somewhere once, just met the bits, add hot water and something else, and melt. Can anyone offer any light on this?
I have a recipe somewhere about making soap from ivy. I will dig it out to share.
My grandmother tried this. She worked in a motel that had lots of small bars of soap left from overnight guests. She did not grate it and it was almost impossible to get it to melt into a smooth liquid.

Reactions: Neb
Soap is so cheap, I don't bother. I have 7, 32oz jugs of liquid hand soap plus six or 7 of the smaller pump containers like you'd have next to the bathroom sink. I figure that can last me and my kid well over a year if we don't waste it. Each jug cost me $1 at Dollar General. Each pump container also cost $1, and can be refilled from the jugs. As I've said before, if there was a real TEOTWAWKI situation, I'll most likely be dead in a few weeks so it's not a TEOTWAKI prep for me. It's cheap insurance against supply chain disruption, temporary economic hardship, or other more commonplace problems. If I've already stocked it when I've got money, I won't need to buy it when I don't have money...

Latest posts

Back