Making this for youngest granddaughter

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Have not made one of these for years, trying to get back into the swing of things.
001.jpg

@rusty I love that chair! What kind of wood are you using? Maple?
Really nice looking!!
Actually, it is just clear pine. But it has a pretty pattern.

The screw holes will be filled with wood plugs. I make my own to match as close as possible.

Did you design the chair yourself or get it the design/pattern from a book or something?
Yes, the grain/pattern is pretty. Will you stain it or polyurethane?
Got the design from another woodworker about 15 years ago and modified it some. I will let my granddaughter decide on the finish. My wife usually designs the stuff I build, but I liked this one.

Have you posted photos of other things you've built?
You're awesome to build that for your granddaughter.
I don't have any pictures. I just recently got back into it. About 10 years ago I donated a truck full of children's furniture to toys for tots and had not made anything since, until this. We recently moved and I have room again.

An heirloom in the making.
Pasted down for many generations, as a hand made chair.
A letter of authenticity that matches the date on the chair.

Boy o' boy, my very own co-administrator on a flooring and tech forum, can't change the clock on his camera. Does your VCR still blink 12:00 all day long?

Beautiful work, my friend!
Gave $10 for that camera. Gave it to grandkids. Should have used my Nikon 5100.

Looking for new ideas of what to make that will sell. Wood prices have gone nuts. I would have at least $35 in material to make those chairs. $50. would probably be the maximum selling price. Doesn't mean much for labor. Two years ago, material was less than $20.

A friend of mine got a used Shopsmith and is turning lots of bowls. He had a booth at various fairs until COVID. I suggested that he set up an Etsy store. He's not interested in that. He likes talking to people when he has a booth.
I understand that. We did shows for 25 years.

Looking for new ideas of what to make that will sell. Wood prices have gone nuts. I would have at least $35 in material to make those chairs. $50. would probably be the maximum selling price. Doesn't mean much for labor. Two years ago, material was less than $20.

I know that feeling. Seems like most folks don't appreciate what "Hand Made" means anymore.

These days, as long as I can cover the cost of materials plus a little more, I'm usually happy.
I know I'll never get a reasonable return on my time invested in a project, but as a hobbyist with hand made items, I'm not looking to get rich off my work.
The only way for me to make my time less intensive is to make multiples of the items I'm making.

Back