Making tinctures and infusions.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Root oil isn't just a dirty joke. granny used to use coal oil to simmer Polk roots and chili peppers as a topical rub for arthritis, sadly coal oil is extremely hard to find except this stuff, which I've never used and is expensive:
https://emeraldshades.com/product/v...MIl_P4z7Pf-QIVNgiICR0GVwerEAQYAiABEgK3BPD_BwE
Mineral oil is a fair substitute however. they rub it on baby butts so it can't be too bad
right? I think coal oil might still be for sale in Canada, I'm not sure.

Then there's tinctures for internal use, the Egyptians used to cook herbs in a light olive oil and save it and use the leftover plant material for poultices or sometimes even food depending on what was cooked. cabbage oil makes you sleep and reduces stress., but it took like twenty cabbages to make just a gallon.

You can make tinctures in wine as well. some wines like elderberry and Polk have medicinal qualities of their own, as does regular grape wine. many people like to use
ever clear 191% which is almost unsafe for human consumption:

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/whiskey/everclear-alcohol
But at times you'll need a bit more juice and less kick, I find 100% vodka is fine for a lot of things, you just have to heat it in a double boiler to extract more herbal essences. a little known fact, boiling alcohol is not hot enough to hurt you, higher percentages boil at a much lower temperature than water. some hashish makers have used it in pressure cookers, but that's dangerous! it will still explode if not vented properly! You can use everclear/PGA/Georgia moon to render out the herbs to an oil and thin it with the vodka as well OR just pressure cook your mix and use a double boiler to render it on down, but be aware, both cooking and alcohol can destroy the medicinal qualities of your plant in some cases, so its best to check! You can infuse distilled water by simply putting some herbs in a gallon jug of it and setting it in the sun a couple of days like sun tea, distilled works better than tap or well water because it absorbs more of the plant's nature, there's no minerals or chemicals in the way you see. Distilled water also helps in weight loss and in mild cases of diabetes, but thats another thread. So how about it? what do you make and how? :)

The menstrum, liquid you put the plants into when making a tincture... Many liquids are used, Everclear (190proof), brandy, 80proff vodka, 100proof vodka, wine etc. It’s not done willy-nilly. The method is dictated by the plant, what works best with a particular plant. Tinctures are basically a water, alcohol and plant in a ratio. These ratios are known from decades of work by practitioners.

Each plant is different, each have a ratio of water to alcohol that works best for that plant’s properties. The plant determines which is best. It’s not a random choice.

Tinctures can be as simple or as complex as you wish to make them. But there are reasons to use 80proof vodka or opposed to using 100proof vodka. The first consideration is the moisture content of the plant… then, more importantly, the chemicals in a plant you wish to extract might need a higher ratio of alcohol to water or a lower alcohol to water ratio…

If you make tinctures randomly the odds of ending up with a worthless tincture are high. Even worse... over 1200 species of medicinal plants grow where I live. A large percentage of them are toxic or can be if miss handled. For exp.. Poke Sallet (salad), a toxic plant I use almost everyday. Great medicine with several different positive attributes, if made and used carefully.

I put this book in the library. It explains tincture making in all it’s basic forms and teaches how to do it safely. It’s required reading at many herbal medicine schools. This book will teach you how to make good tinctures.

“The Herbal Medicine-Makers Handbook” “A Home Manual” by James Green.

Herbal Medicine Books - Peanut recommends

Last edited:
I only make the three tinctures I know work. mixing stuff at pretty much random is like putting three food cans without labels into one pot and hoping it tastes good. mixing even plants with similar properties can be dangerous.

Do you have one, is it a good product, if not why not??????

https://www.amazon.com/iAesthete-Co...ocphy=9010449&hvtargid=pla-382978692846&psc=132,48,64 oz size infuser.
1682006628854.png

Back