Man Loses $10,000 on Aspen ski slope, gets it back!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.steamboattoday.com/news...es-the-money-then-finds-it-on-aspen-mountain/

Man skiing with $10,000 loses the money, then finds it on Aspen Mountain
Rick Carroll/The Aspen Times
December 18, 2017

A skier on Aspen Mountain finished his day of runs Sunday $10,000 poorer, until Aspen Skiing Co. employees returned his money belt to him Tuesday with all of the cash intact.

The skier, who turns 80 in April, spoke on the condition that his name not be used.

“I’m not looking for notoriety,” he said after a morning of skiing at Snowmass. “I just want to say ‘Thank you.'”

If anything, the man, a physician who recently made a part-time move to Snowmass Village, said the recouped money re-enforced his decision to spend the upcoming winters in the area.

“I’ve never been anywhere where the people are so nice,” he said. “They say ‘good morning’ to you, and if they see you carrying something, they lend a hand.'”

Skiing on Aspen Mountain, or anywhere, with $10,000 in cash isn’t a suggested practice, but the man said he felt more secure with the money on him than leaving it at his room St. Moritz Lodge, where he was temporarily staying until he moved into a Snowmass condo Monday. The Aspen lodge doesn’t equip its guest rooms with safes, the man said, so he felt better off bringing the money with him.

Why all of that cash in the first place? According to the man, it was intended to be the money he lives on for the next four months. His bank accounts are in Florida, where he maintains a part-time internal-medicine practice, so he brought the cash to the Aspen area.

“I told my son that if that would have happened in Florida, you could have kissed it goodbye,” he said.

On Monday, the skier reported the lost money to Aspen Mountain’s guest services.

Linda Gerdenich, an Aspen Mountain concierge, said nothing had been turned into lost-and-found.

“I said, ‘Can we try ski patrol?,” and they had it,” he said, adding the patrol had the bag secured in a locker.

It turned out ski-instructor Steve Schreiber had found the money-belt somewhere beneath the Ajax Express Lift. Schreiber said he didn’t open the belt or have any idea what was in it.

“I never looked in it, I just picked it up and gave it to a lift-op and told him I found this and he should hold onto it in case someone asks about it,” Schreiber said, noting he also found a brand-new iPhone on the mountain the same day.

“It just seemed to be my day for finding things,” said Schreiber, who also is a backcountry guide and former ski patroller.

The lift-op gave the belt to a ski patroller, who, while taking the lift, inspected the belt’s contents. According to Gerdenich, the woman was overcome with anxiety after seeing all of that cash. But she held on and made sure it was secured in a ski patrol locker.

The skier figured the money belt must have shaken loose, unbeknownst to him, while he was riding up the Ajax Express Lift.

Adding another twist to the saga was the skier has known Schreiber for years, and he said they had a chat Sunday on the mountain — before he lost the cash.

“People have all of these negative things to say,” he said. “But there are many kind people — everybody I’ve dealt with here.”

When he was learning to ski at the age of 63 in Aspen, the man got to know Schreiber later. He said he wants to find a way to reward all of those involved — Schreiber, Gerdenich and others.

The doctor said staying in Aspen is way to act and feel young. He currently guides senior ski tours and has been an Aspen Highlands ambassador in the past. He still coaches youth sports in Florida, and played tennis, baseball, basketball and ran track when he was younger. He emphasizes a healthy lifestyle — lay off the smokes and reduce the sugar intake — and help others however and whenever you can.

“I feel like a different human being here,” he said. “The four months I’m here is refreshing, and I go back refreshed to my practice.”

[email protected]

While I enjoyed how the story gave due credit to some very honest people and reaffirmed that there is indeed good news in the world, it also made me wonder what that guy was thinking going skiing with $10k??? How does the saying go; a fool and his money are soon parted. Apparently sometimes they also get it back!

While I enjoyed how the story gave due credit to some very honest people and reaffirmed that there is indeed good news in the world, it also made me wonder what that guy was thinking going skiing with $10k??? How does the saying go; a fool and his money are soon parted. Apparently sometimes they also get it back!
This story was on my local news. I agree with your thoughts, because I thought the same thing. We happen to have another thread currently about how much cash people keep on them, so this story added a level of interest for me.

The man was an 80 year old physician who was in process of moving and wanted to keep the cash on him until he found a safe place for it in his new home. Now, he could be victimized because a whole bunch of potential criminals know that he has $10,000 in cash.

A friend of mine and her brother have a cabin in the mountains of Colorado. It has been in their family for more than 50 years. It is really to be used for the summer, and is on federal land, with a lease, along with several others in the area. They have a condo in Arizona, where they stay most of the year. The cabin has been used for storage, and they have some valuable things there that they do keep trying to purge out of there. They have sold off some collectibles, but when you have a basement full, like many Americans do, it takes time. It became a place to store things when they kept moving around, lightening the moving load.

One of the reasons to get rid of stuff is that her brother had quite a collection of silver dollars that were stolen. Local law enforcement did report to them that young men in the area were using silver dollars to make purchases after the break in.

Not everyone is honest!

Now this one should go into inspiring stories. People can be wonderful.

This story was on my local news. I agree with your thoughts, because I thought the same thing. We happen to have another thread currently about how much cash people keep on them, so this story added a level of interest for me.

The man was an 80 year old physician who was in process of moving and wanted to keep the cash on him until he found a safe place for it in his new home. Now, he could be victimized because a whole bunch of potential criminals know that he has $10,000 in cash.

A friend of mine and her brother have a cabin in the mountains of Colorado. It has been in their family for more than 50 years. It is really to be used for the summer, and is on federal land, with a lease, along with several others in the area. They have a condo in Arizona, where they stay most of the year. The cabin has been used for storage, and they have some valuable things there that they do keep trying to purge out of there. They have sold off some collectibles, but when you have a basement full, like many Americans do, it takes time. It became a place to store things when they kept moving around, lightening the moving load.

One of the reasons to get rid of stuff is that her brother had quite a collection of silver dollars that were stolen. Local law enforcement did report to them that young men in the area were using silver dollars to make purchases after the break in.

Not everyone is honest!

Weedy this is a feel good story. Need all of them we can get,huh?:heart::Thankyou:

Yes, we do! We also need to teach our young people to be this way as well!

Hubby says sometimes I'm too honest. We were looking at suit cases and I saw 4 inside one big one. I told hubby, look some thief is trying get these for nothing. Hubby said I think they all come together. So I took them out and put em aside. Bought the one big one. Next trip we looked again and they were a package deal. So I lost out on 3 suit cases.:(:oops:.

Latest posts

Back