Mandoline Veggie Slicer for Dehydrating

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is exactly like ours. We bought this one about 7 years ago when we got the dehydrator.
It saves time and agrevation when dealing with things like we are doing today, eggplants.

I'm sure you can search around for good price but it is worth every penny.

Took this pic a few minutes ago. My camera is messed up but pic is close.

r7kNAqN.jpg

CD4e1Kd.jpg

Last edited:
I'm going to try and make flour out of these eggplants. Why not they make it our of lots of things including acorns from oak trees. So keep in mind acorns are also edible. If you can beat the squirrels to them.

I use a twin bladed mandolin slicer for my kraut. Took the tip off one finger with a meat slicer in a commercial kitchen. I've cut myself with a kitchen knife too. I've also burned myself soldering and hit my thumb with a hammer. If you use tools you will get bit if you don't pay attention or if you hurry. I'm not going to quit cooking just because I laid my hand flat onto a hot griddle covered in oil and salt.

I took my fingertip off using one of those. (I glued it back on, and you can't tell). So I don't use one. I just use a knife and don't worry about the preciseness.

Oh my thanks fro making us be even more careful than we already are. Did you use that little grabber thing that protects your hands? After talking to y'all i may use knife gloves next time.

Wife got one from Pampered chef. They are great and fast. Clean up can be a pain though. And yes they will slice skin just as easy as produce.

Meer, is that dehydrator a Excaliber? Those trays look familiar.

Yes it is an Excaliber. Haven't used it in a couple years though. But its on now so far 9 hours for eggplants that book says 4-8. It is humid here so maybe thats why.

I thought it was just me that sliced a finger using it. OK I did have to slice a finger on 2 different occasions before I learned to ALWAYS use the holder.
For large jobs nothing beats this thing. My wife uses a knife most of the time tho.

We use holder too. And very careful.

Me 4! I still have wicked scar. I still use mine for things like shredding cabbage or slicing squash but always use the holder thingy! It can't be beat for quickly shredding cabbage for stir fry.

I still use grater for cole slaw, drives my sister nuts. I don't like the consistency of cole slaw from food processors. I have over last several decades got scrapped a few times.

I've had one of those slicers for ages. Last fall I sharpened all the blades and it works like a dream again. I lost the little hand protector hears ago but I know how to use it without slicing and dicing myself.
All the blades on mine are reversible for two different thicknesses and it has fry makers for standard and shoestring fries.

I use a twin bladed mandolin slicer for my kraut. Took the tip off one finger with a meat slicer in a commercial kitchen. I've cut myself with a kitchen knife too. I've also burned myself soldering and hit my thumb with a hammer. If you use tools you will get bit if you don't pay attention or if you hurry. I'm not going to quit cooking just because I laid my hand flat onto a hot griddle covered in oil and salt.

Thats right Car.

Tools, especially using a hammer and lettering punches, seem to get me a lot more often than I care for. The other day I was using my brass annealer and decided the last cartridge was going to get hung in the drive belt. Without thinking I just reached down and picked it up by the neck (that is heated to over 750F) and moved. After I dropped it I heard a sizzle and that smell of cooking flesh. It didn't hurt at all so I ran from the shop to the house and grabbed an ice cube to cool my thumb and forefinger down. I got it cold fast enough to prevent the burn from going any deeper and I never had any pain but now I am wondering if I will have finger prints on those two digits. I have a couple of hard (cooked) calluses that will eventually wear off but they are solidly attached to the finger still.

i don't have a mandolin. sometimes i use a knife . i do have a saladmaster slicer that does great and has done so for 50 plus years, so i don't think i'll buy a mandolin.
I had a saladmaster slicer that went missing in a move, many years ago. I would love to have another one. I have most of the cookware as well. Do you have the cookware?

So they're only sold through multi-level marketing in your home? Wow! I tried to find a price but they don't give out that information.

I didn't use the guard when using the mandolin.
I have a hand crank food processor thing. It's handy when cutting lots of jalapenos for jalapeno jelly. Probably should of used it for all the onions today, but did them by hand.

this is the one i have.it has a thickness setting. I've only used it to slice for cooking n canning so far.my mom had bought it.only draw back with it.is i have to be careful of my finger tips..

0609191242.jpg

I'm going to try and make flour out of these eggplants. Why not they make it our of lots of things including acorns from oak trees. So keep in mind acorns are also edible. If you can beat the squirrels to them.
I make flour out of many things including dried apples. I have to eat gluten-free so I use everything for flour.

Back