Mans Best Friend

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our oldest old dog is not doing well at all. She is a 18yr old greyhound yellow lab mix. Half the weight she was. She is coughing a lot now and so guess it won't be long. She was one of the best and smartest dogs we've ever had if not he best ever. she will be missed.
She has had a great life and our vet who gave her to us can't believe her age [ till he looked at her file in his records ] for a large dog. All our dogs suffer a natural death just like our relatives did . We put one down and that won't happen to us again.

Sometimes putting them down is kinder.

I know but sometimes being selfish is better than having a heart attack too. We put one down and I had terrible chest pains and couldn't breath.
Our dogs have great long lives and like us they die when its their time. I do understand people putting them out of their misery too though.

We adopted a cat that lived across the road that was never fed, kicked and he walked in and stayed after we cuddled him and bathed him to get rid of his fleas. He learnt to play and played hide and seek and was an old cat when he adopted us and lived 6 long and happy years with us and also had epilepsy. He woke up one morning and couldn't walk so we put him on the lounge with us within an hour we could see the life draining out of his eyes and I brushed him and we both cuddled him as he went. It was heartbreaking but we were happy that the scared cat he was when he came learnt to play and at least had a wonderful life with us.

When the children or adults came over from the house across the road he would let out a guttural roar and try and rip their throats out, old cat or not he had spirit and told them he was staying and protected us from everything and everybody too.

Heartbreaking. They always love us so much.
When one of our kids came back after a lengthy absence, the dog who didn't know him real well was a bit concerned for about 3 seconds then realized it was HIM and she went bonkers. It was almost like she was saying, "Man, I thought you were long gone!"
So sorry your dog is ailing, @Meerkat

Old Yellow look a like Alice is in the bathroom that has outside door so she doesn't have to walk thru house. It is hot and she can't handle being without AC so around 12 PM we put her in bathroom with her 10 yr old buddy she trained. She is laid out on her theripudic dog bed.

Abigail lived to 10 years old. She had gotten pancreatitis twice. The last time did her in. The vet took an MRI and found lymph nodes coming to the surface from the pancreas. Turns out she had pancreatic cancer and she died within 3 days of this. I held her and she died in my arms. I had told her it was ok to be at peace. Two weeks after she passed, I put in for a rescue (Brittany) and was told it could take 6-8 weeks to even be interviewed for any type of adoption. But then I got a call regarding an owner surrender instead from the Brittany Rescue group, and I have Kenze. Both have different personalities, but loving in their own ways. Abigail was a brittany as well (got her from a dr who was starting a hunting reserve and breeding them, and she scored low on her pen-hip xray). So both of mine have actually been owner surrenders.

I'm upset with my "best friends" today.

One of our 10 year olds upset me today too. The 18 yr old one is still hanging in there.
A pic of her a couple years ago.

YqhWBnZ.jpg

Abigail lived to 10 years old. She had gotten pancreatitis twice. The last time did her in. The vet took an MRI and found lymph nodes coming to the surface from the pancreas. Turns out she had pancreatic cancer and she died within 3 days of this. I held her and she died in my arms. I had told her it was ok to be at peace. Two weeks after she passed, I put in for a rescue (Brittany) and was told it could take 6-8 weeks to even be interviewed for any type of adoption. But then I got a call regarding an owner surrender instead from the Brittany Rescue group, and I have Kenze. Both have different personalities, but loving in their own ways. Abigail was a brittany as well (got her from a dr who was starting a hunting reserve and breeding them, and she scored low on her pen-hip xray). So both of mine have actually been owner surrenders.

Debra it is hard to lose one for sure. I have to think about what a good life they have had compared to other poor animals. But it is still hard.

I'll have to look up Brittany to see what they look like. Looks like they have shelty in them with the ears,nose and hair.Our 2 ten year olds mother was Australian Sheltie and whatever jumped over the mans fence.

Oh look at those pretty little eyes. Sweet.

brittany-spaniel-dogs-puppies-1.jpg

Debra it is hard to lose one for sure. I have to think about what a good life they have had compared to other poor animals. But it is still hard.

I'll have to look up Brittany to see what they look like. Looks like they have shelty in them with the ears,nose and hair.Our 2 ten year olds mother was Australian Sheltie and whatever jumped over the mans fence.

this is what my Kenze looks like. She's almost 7 years old now.
Kenze cooling her paws.jpg

Last edited:

She's a nice looking dog. I always thought Aussie Shepards were two- or three-colored.

Thank you Debra but you must have missed this post above where I said " my other two dogs are mixed Australian Shepard's with whatever jumped over the fence " .

Their mother was registered AS but we got puppies from litter that was mixed. They couldn't sell them so they gave them away.

This picture looks exactly like my dogs mother.

australian-shepherd-dog-portrait-on-picnic-table-picture-id122137874

so the one that appears to be all brown with the longer hair and ears is an Australian Shepherd mix?

Yes and she got her color from male. She got long hair, nose, and body type from her mother.
Her sister from same litter doesn't look like her or the mother. So from what they said several dogs mated with her before they knew fence was being dug under.

Last edited:
We had twin brothers, lab/retriever mixes. One was 13 and the other was 14 when we had to put them down. It was hardest thing to do. So many hikes into BOL and so many adventures. We spent so much time together up there in the winter when it was just us because of my work schedule. We all kind of grew up together at the BOL. They were 3 when we bought it. The 14 yr old was around long enough to help potty train our new little golden. I miss them and think about them everyday particularly on the trail

OMG, that poor dog and all of the possible mating. Did they spay her now, or do they still allow her to breed?

Dog was treated well by this family. They were not home when fence was dug under or jumped.
We have never paid for a dog because of the treatment in puppy mill's. Plus all the dogs being killed in shelters. We always adopt or get free puppys.
We pass by their house going into town but haven't visited since we got the puppy's 10 years ago.So have no idea about their animals.

Our 18 going on 19 year old is mixed Greyhound &i Retriver who accidently mated. Never been a smarter or more loyal dog than this ' mutt '.

Old dog is still hanging in here. She likes dog biscuits and we give her chuck steaks, chicken and hamburger with her dog food. She loves chewing up the chuck steak raw, it keeps her teeth cleaned.
I got it all on sale then freeze it for the dogs. 99 cent pound thighs and leg quarters, $3.00 pound chuck and hamburger.

My dogs would love you, Meerkat. I just finished cooking 5 whole chickens. They got the skin.
I went out to feed the turkeys, ducks, and chickens, and one of our dogs left half a snake for me. It appears he ate the other half. It must not of tasted very good, because half is on the doormat.

Back