Manual Grain Mill Hand Grinder....Suggestions please.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the 'intended target granule-size', Chief? Fine Wheat Flour? Or more 'Coarse', like Corn Masa or Coffee? (makes a difference on Recommends.. :cool:

jd
I don't know. I just found 260# of Hard Red Winter Wheat. Was thinking ground hot cereal. This would be for making post SHTF survival food with the least work. Kind'a grind it boil it, wolf it down.

.. I just found 260# of Hard Red Winter Wheat. Was thinking ground hot cereal. ..
OK, so If 'course grinds' are OK, then this one is a good 'un, within yer price-point: www.amazon.com/Victoria-GRN-101-Manual-Grinder-Hopper/dp/B00JZZKLHI

..Both Us, and my Son have this one, and it's Good (for what it "is" / Price-point, etc) DO pay attention to the Review-comments, tho (those relative to 'be Sure and run a Few 'sacrificial loads' (ie: some old Pinto beans, etc) thru it, that you'll Toss (or, mix with Bacon-grease as a 'Bear bait' ;) etc) FIRST, to clean out the 'Manuf-swarf' / metal-chips, etc - Definitely good advice. 👍

..That said / recommended (specific to Your "specs"), IF you Can, somehow, 'find a way' to bump the budget a bit Higher.. the 'Wondermill' is MUCH better, both for course, and 'fine' (flour-grade) grinds, and both wet or dry: https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Grain-Grinder-Oily-Grains/dp/B01C85NL5A/ ..it Is, both IMO and E... :) a Much-better investment, hands down. :cool:

..But, if ya 'just can't swing it', that's understandable, the Victoria should suffice, for making 'gruel', at least. ;)

Fwiw..
jd

Mine is akin to this
https://www.amazon.com/Cranking-Ope...cphy=9033829&hvtargid=pla-1886912518276&psc=1
1686863765275.png

Mine doesn't have the fancy funnel at top - that would be handy. $28

I got this hand cranked mill on Amazon. It's a hard turn for me but it's my backup for the grain mill attachment on my KitchenAid.

Hank Crank grain mill
That is the same one I have. I want to purchase bigger and stouter before I find myself mid-way through a "NINE" year SHTF.

..That said / recommended (specific to Your "specs"), IF you Can, somehow, 'find a way' to get a bit Higher.. the 'Wondermill' is MUCH better, both for course, and 'fine' (flour-grade) grinds, and both wet or dry: https://www.amazon.com/Manual-Grain-Grinder-Oily-Grains/dp/B01C85NL5A/ ..it Is, both IMO and E :) a Much-better investment, hands down. :cool:

..But, if ya 'just can't swing it', that's understandable, the Victoria should suffice, for making 'gruel', at least. ;)

Actually, have decided to go higher price for a more robust mill. I just realized I have $1,200.00 worth of Hard RED Winter Wheat in inventory, and it would suck to not have a rugged mill.

Actually, have decided to go higher price for a more robust mill. ...
Ehh, the Wondermill will 'do that' (bolt-down to a plank / table, etc) just as well, simply unbolt the 'C-clamp', and drive some Lags into yer choice of plank / table, etc.. And, it's *plenty* robust, believe me. :cool: Not sure about the other one (though it Does "look" well-cast and tough..)

..But the 'Prime advantage' of the WM, is the Stone-wheels, that will Also, as seconded-above, give you 'fine grind' capability.. Totally Worth, in the long run, again, IMO / E. 👍

jd

I don't know. I just found 260# of Hard Red Winter Wheat. Was thinking ground hot cereal. This would be for making post SHTF survival food with the least work. Kind'a grind it boil it, wolf it down.
I wonder if you soak the wheat overnight, how much easier it might be to grind? I may have to do a grinding experiment, some soaked, some not.

I once saw an ad on ebay for one of those old meat grinders, Universal being a common name on them, that has several different grinding disks. They are usually considered to be meat grinders, and that was probably their most common use. It said that it could be used for grinding grains. Just a thought for any of us.

I have my grandfather's Universal meat grinder. He worked as a butcher until he bought the ranch. I don't think it has a grain grinding disk with it. I remember that the most I saw it used was when we ground up horseradish.

I have one like the one in the picture. It's a Corona (I think)...had it over 40 yrs...ground more wheat than you can imagine. I've also ground corn. I now mostly use the attachment I have for my KitchenAid. I also grind buckwheat.

I wonder if you soak the wheat overnight, how much easier it might be to grind? I may have to do a grinding experiment, some soaked, some not.

I once saw an ad on ebay for one of those old meat grinders, Universal being a common name on them, that has several different grinding disks. They are usually considered to be meat grinders, and that was probably their most common use. It said that it could be used for grinding grains. Just a thought for any of us.

I have my grandfather's Universal meat grinder. He worked as a butcher until he bought the ranch. I don't think it has a grain grinding disk with it. I remember that the most I saw it used was when we ground up horseradish.
Please let us know if you do this. In my mind, if you were to soak it, wouldn’t it just turn to mush? Flour water is a form of paste??? 🤔

Latest posts

Back