Many Reasons to Grow Asparagus

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We live in an area that grows a lot of asparagus. This year there are no roadside stands selling it.
The wholesalers have the local market almost totally locked in.
Yesterday I finally found a vegetable stand that had it. He grows it on his farm.
We bought 20 pounds at $1.89 a pound.
Now I need to get it canned, pickled, or just start eating.

Back at the farm, there's no need to grow it. The stuff grows wild, all over the place. Just on Pop's farm there are around 20 patches.

That whole area grows a lot of wild asparagus too. There's a two mile stretch of dirt road called "Asparagus Road" by my fellow railroaders. They like to drive down there and pick a little asparagus out of the ditches when it's in season.

I don't like asparagus that much, but for those that like it, the wild stuff is far better than any cultivated types. I don't know why that is. There's two kinds you'll normally see around there. One type has purplish colors on it, the other is nearly white. The white stuff is considered "gourmet" by many...

It grows along roadsides here as well. I love aspygrass, it ranks right up there with broccoli. I love it on the grill, lay it out on a paper plate or similar, drizzle with EVOO and grind up some sea salt on it, I like it with a tad bit of crunch left when grilling it.

Asparagus was brought to North America by European settlers at least as early as 1655.
It went wild by seeds & many people harvest it, from the wild.
I like the taste & that it is easy to grow, harvest & cook.
It last a long time like fruit shrubs & trees.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back