Marriage thread (for MEN)

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes HB,
I can relate to your dad,
Those were VERY hard times in our marriage.
You can't imagine what the nightmares were like.
Those experiences over there , caused a lot of marriages to fail.

I do believe that my marriage is (like mom and dad) much stronger ,
because we went thru such very bad things together.

Thank your dad for his service for me... I know what he went thru...
nobody else, unless they were there , knows. I was there in 67 and 68..
Ask him if he was there for the TET Offensive. Pure hell.

Jim

You must be the same age as my parents they were married 50 years in June. My dad struggled with nightmares and sleepless nights. When he would go to sleep the only person that could wake him was my mother because he woke up fighting. I don't think he's had nightmares much in years but if you want get punched in the face go startle that old codger when he's sleeping. Vietnam was really hard on their relationship but I think they're stronger for it now.
Viet Nam destroyed my first marriage. It was not safe to have him around our infant daughter so I had to leave. He struggled for years.

My parents have also been married over 50 years. Both were LEO's and both are now retired. My Dad used to say that the secret to their happy marriage was that they both carried guns and knew how to use them. My Mom still says it's because she lets my Dad be in charge as often as she can in good conscience. :D In reality they both have said that a few dangerous encounters early on made it clear to them that life is fleeting and can be gone in an instant. Both were prepared to carry on alone, but were going to embrace every moment they had together. After my Mom had her 3rd child, with approx. 10 years on on the job, she went back to school to finish becoming an LPN. She hated the thought of something happening to both of them and leaving their children without any parents.

My awesome wife and I have been married 25 years. Don't let anyone tell you that doesn't take effort, patience and love! We both wanted this to last, so we both worked hard. I couldn't imagine being with anyone else.

One great thing to come from all this is our kids have experienced two people truly loving each other - showing respect, patience, listening and understanding. That's a pretty good lesson I'm very happy to pass on to them.

Yes HB,
I can relate to your dad,
Those were VERY hard times in our marriage.
You can't imagine what the nightmares were like.
Those experiences over there , caused a lot of marriages to fail.

I do believe that my marriage is (like mom and dad) much stronger ,
because we went thru such very bad things together.

Thank your dad for his service for me... I know what he went thru...
nobody else, unless they were there , knows. I was there in 67 and 68..
Ask him if he was there for the TET Offensive. Pure hell.

Jim

He was 101st 69 and 70

Latest posts

Back