Mayapple

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBLife

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
If you can get the larger variety and place where they can get good sun but plenty of rain you can get a good crop of Mayapple. Once they turn yellow and get soft you can boil them down, press and de-seed and make a jelly that is out of this world. Roots are good if you need to get rid of warts or commit suicide.

Like tomatoes the whole mayapple is toxic, even the green fruit.
There are many hybrid mayapples, if you are willing to pay the golden price for them. Never made jelly from them.

This toxicity was used as a medicine. Decades ago when my grandfather was a child it was common for rural residents to have gum disease by late winter (scurvy related, lack of vitamins and hygiene).

They'd use mayapple stems since they came up very early in spring. Cut them into short pieces then use the short, soft stems like a tooth pick. Rubbing along the gum line.

Basically using mayapple toxicity kill off excess bacteria in the mouth.

Got me thinking about this… remembered some notes I made the day I met the Sage of Lookout Mtn. As follows…

The root is used to stimulate the liver, it’ll produce more bile which break down fats and proteins.

Root… Only use the straight section of root between the knots. Add one Tsp of root to a pint of boiling water. Steep 5min then strain. Dosage is 1 tsp - 2 to 3 times a day.

Caution… beyond the fact it’s toxic. In some people it will trigger an allergic reaction. This is mentioned in old medical books from the 1800’s.

The plant is also a powerful laxative.

On toxicity… there are several toxic plants used to stimulate the liver. Poke sallet for example is an excellent liver stimulant. So be aware if you’re trying to kick start liver that there are alternatives.

Latest posts

Back