Mayhaw Jelly

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jishinsjourney

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I put in a question to the Colorado extension last October, to discover if I could use this recipe:
Mayhaw Jelly
to can up jelly made from our local hawthorn (mayhaw) berries.

The answer is YES! You can do that with other non-Georgia hawthorn berries, so if you’re lucky enough to have a hawthorn tree, make and put up some jelly. Yum!

Supposedly it’s good for heart ailments, but we just like the taste. It is stone-fruit-y with a wonderful woodsy note.

Thanks for the info… What does “non-Georgia hawthorn berries” mean?

Is there a warning that goes with Georgia hawthorn berries?

Made me pull out my herb medicine books. On one side of the hawthorn family are some powerful shrubs used in appalachia folk medicine and they grow here. I know people who use them. None go by the name Mayhaw. Just curious?

Last edited:
Thanks for the info… What does “non-Georgia hawthorn berries” mean?

Is there a warning that goes with Georgia hawthorn berries?

Made me pull out my herb medicine books. On one side of the hawthorn family are some powerful shrubs used in appalachia folk medicine and they grow here. I know people who use them. None go by the name Mayhaw. Just curious?

Basically, the recipe was originally tested with hawthorn species that were grown in Georgia. I contacted them first to ask if all hawthorn berries would work, since the species in Colorado are different. They didn‘t know, and referred me to the Colorado extension, who did finally confirm that all hawthorn berries should be okay for making jelly using this recipe, and water-bathing it to preserve.

“Mayhaw” I think is a Southern thing but I don’t know — the mayhaws seem to ripen much earlier there. I’ve always heard of them as hawthorn, but I’ve never lived in the south, and my haws aren’t ready until November!

We have the wild hawthorn here in South Carolina, which is in the apple family with roses.
The hawthorn is about the size of rose hips, but appear in late spring instead of fall.
The leaves are used for tea also.

We have the wild hawthorn here in South Carolina, which is in the apple family with roses.
The hawthorn is about the size of rose hips, but appear in late spring instead of fall.
The leaves are used for tea also.
I need to do more homework on hawthorns!! So many different one!

Damp, cold, overcast here with temps of 5C (40F) for highs...
If we EVER get some sunshine, I'm looking forward to fire weed jelly and thimble berry jam.. Both wild here in our zone 2 bush...

Crataegus (/krəˈtiːɡəs/[2]), commonly called hawthorn, quickthorn,[3] thornapple,[4] May-tree,[5] whitethorn,[5] Mayflower, or hawberry, is a genus of several hundred species of shrubs and trees in the family Rosaceae,[6] native to temperate regions of the Northern Hemisphere in Europe, Asia, North Africa, and North America. The name "hawthorn" was originally applied to the species native to northern Europe, especially the common hawthorn C. monogyna, and the unmodified name is often so used in Britain and Ireland. The name is now also applied to the entire genus and to the related Asian genus Rhaphiolepis.

Scientific classification e
Kingdom:Plantae
Clade:Tracheophytes
Clade:Angiosperms
Clade:Eudicots
Clade:Rosids
Order:Rosales
Family:Rosaceae
Subfamily:Amygdaloideae
Tribe:Maleae
Subtribe:Malinae
Genus:Crataegus
Tourn. ex L.

I am no botanist, but it looks like a Mayhaw & a Hawthorn are the same plant group.

Latest posts

Back