Mayo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
It had been on my wish list at the big internet box store for a year, a stick blender. I finally ordered it on sale, came yesterday! 7 speeds, one for making mayonnaise and yes, a whisk attachment! Unless there is some catastrophe I don't plan to ever buy mayo at the store again.

I could make mayo with a regular blender but would have to wash a big bowl etc. Whisking by hand can be iffy. A stick blender simplifies the process and clean up. Easy to make small batches...

Anyone have any good mayo recipes? I've have a couple I'm going to try.

Stick Blender (1) sm.JPG

I'll share my basic mayo recipe, it is basic nothing fancy. 1 whole egg. (Most recipies just use yoke, this is a whole egg recipe). 1 to 1 1/4 C of canola oil. 1/2t ground mustard. 1T white vinegar. 1/4t salt. In food processor, process egg for 20seconds. Add vinegar salt and mustard, process another 20 seconds. Very slowly drizzle 1 cup of oil while processing until desired thickness. If mayo is not thickening enough, add more oil while processing until you get it how you like it!

Smart stick are between $30.00 to $70.00 for the full set & not all sets are the same.

I haven't used mine yet but last night I copied a few taztziki sauce recipes and greek yogurt based dips. I finally found a place to buy whole milk greek yogurt, the high lite of the last few days. Whole milk yogurt is almost impossible to find.

I didn't know anyone with a stick blender so, as I always do with such a purchase I put a few highly reviewed products on my internet retailer wish list. I will then monitor those items for a year, sometimes longer... reading new reviews etc. I also watch a few tv cooking shows watching for utensils/appliances they use.

From that info I'll make a decision as to which product is best for me, then wait for it to go on sale. Again, this process may take a year but I have yet to buy a piece of junk I'm not happy with. Patience Grasshopper!

I haven't used mine yet but last night I copied a few taztziki sauce recipes and greek yogurt based dips. I finally found a place to buy whole milk greek yogurt, the high lite of the last few days. Whole milk yogurt is almost impossible to find.

I didn't know anyone with a stick blender so, as I always do with such a purchase I put a few highly reviewed products on my internet retailer wish list. I will then monitor those items for a year, sometimes longer... reading new reviews etc. I also watch a few tv cooking shows watching for utensils/appliances they use.

From that info I'll make a decision as to which product is best for me, then wait for it to go on sale. Again, this process may take a year but I have yet to buy a piece of junk I'm not happy with. Patience Grasshopper!
I make my own whole milk yogurt. I’ve been making yogurt every week for a few years. It’s really very easy.

I’ve never thought about making my own Mayo. I used to always use Hellman’s but now I discovered Duke’s and it’s pretty good.

DW make her own yogurt too.
I can not eat it, I need half & half (that one half yogurt & one half honey or chocolate, if you do not like honey)!
I was raise on whole, raw milk. I was born five pounds, one ounce, now I am 5-11, 200 & some odd pounds, so it must be good for you/me.

I make my own whole milk yogurt. I’ve been making yogurt every week for a few years. It’s really very easy.

I’ve never thought about making my own Mayo. I used to always use Hellman’s but now I discovered Duke’s and it’s pretty good.
Would you share your yogurt recipe?

Off topic

Ben, why are yu following this thread?

As a wee youth I had a stomach disturbance when I was first introduced to mayonnaise. I will omit the details but mayonnaise does not sit well with me.

Ben

Would you share your yogurt recipe?
You need to have a starter culture. Some buy a plain yogurt at the store but I ordered a starter culture off Etsy. To make 10 half pints and a bit more to have a starter for the next batch, I use about 5-6 cups milk. You need a nice digital thermometer. Heat the milk to 180°F. If it boils, you can’t use it so I stand right by the stove while it heats. Heating kills any bacteria you don’t want growing in your culture. Remove from heat and let cool to 110°F. This will take about 30-40 minutes as a guesstimate. If it cools too much, just heat it up a bit to 110°F. Whisk in about 3-4 tablespoons of the yogurt starter. You can then use a Instant Pot on yogurt setting but I just use a couple heating pads set on low. Pour about 1/2 cup or a little more in half pint jelly jars or those small, flat, round glass Pyrex bowls. In a smaller container, like another jelly jar or some other small, clean jar, put about 3-4 tablespoons of the new yogurt and ferment it along with the full jars of future yogurt. This will be the starter for the next batch. Place containers on heating pads on low setting. I throw a clean kitchen towel over them to keep in some of the heat. Check the jars in about 5 hours. If it is solid, it’s done. It might pull away from the glass when tilted. That’s good. Sometimes if I ferment too long, it will separate a bit. If this happens, I just stir it up and eat it. Or you can pour off or strain the whey and use it in recipes in place of water. I know this sounds lengthy but from starting to heat the milk to taking it off the burner is about 10 minutes. Cooling, about 40 minutes. Very little hands on time. Fermenting, a few hours. Sometimes I let it go from bedtime to morning. The longer you ferment, the tangier it is. I like it mild and often eat it plain. Sometimes I mix in frozen fruit or all fruit jam or honey and pecans or walnuts. My hubby mixes in a Splenda packet and some peanut butter powder. You can add in cocoa nibs. The sky is the limit. If you strain it in a milk nut bag, it gets thicker. I never want to bother doing that. Any questions, I’d be glad to help. It really takes very little time and the beneficial bacteria’s in it are much higher than store bought as it is not heat processed for packaging
Watching! I like mayo and Miracle Whip. Wonder if we can make Miracle Whip?
Isn’t Miracle Whip just mayonnaise with some sugar in it? Read the ingredients and compare the labels of Mayo and Miracle Whip.

Last edited:
You need to have a starter culture. Some buy a plain yogurt at the store but I ordered a starter culture off Etsy. To make 10 half pints and a bit more to have a starter for the next batch, I use about 5-6 cops milk. You need a nice digital thermometer. Heat the milk to 180°F. If it boils, you can’t use it so I stand right by the stove while it heats. Heating kills any bacteria you don’t want growing in your culture. Remove from heat and let cool to 110°F. This will take about 30-40 minutes as a guesstimate. If it cools too much, just heat it up a bit to 110°F. Whisk in about 3-4 tablespoons of the yogurt starter. You can then use a Instant Pot on yogurt setting but I just use a couple heating pads set on low. Pour about 1/2 cup or a little more in half pint jelly hats or those small, flat, round glass Pyrex bowls. In a smaller container, like another jelly jar or some other small, clean jar, put about 3-4 tablespoons of the new yogurt and ferment it along with the full jars of future yogurt. This will be the starter for the next batch. Place containers on heating pads on low setting. I throw a clean kitchen towel over them to keep in some of the heat. Check the jars in about 5 hours. If it is solid, it’s done. It might pull away from the glass when tilted. That’s good. Sometimes if I ferment too long, it will separate a bit. If this happens, I just stir it up and eat it. Or you can pour off or strain the whey and use it in recipes in place of water. I know this sounds lengthy but from starting to heat the milk to taking it off the burner is about 10 minutes. Cooling, about 49 minutes. Very little hands in time. Fermenting, a few hours. Sometimes I let it go from bedtime to morning. The longer you ferment, the tangier it is. I like it mild and often eat it plain. Sometimes I mix in frozen fruit or all fruit jam or honey and pecans or walnuts. My hubby mixes in a Splenda packet and some peanut butter powder. You can add in cocoa nibs. The sky is the limit. If you strain it in a milk nut bag, it gets thicker. I never want to bother doing that. Any questions, I’d be glad to help. It really takes very little time and the beneficial bacteria’s in it are much higher than store bought as it is not heat processed for pacjaging.

Isn’t Miracle Whip just mayonnaise with some sugar in it? Read the ingredients and compare the labels of Mayo and Miracle Whip.
Thanks Winds, really appreciate the recipe. Love my Insta Pot.

Leaving aside the question of whether vegetable oil is a food humans should consume, a delicious mayonnaise can be made from sour cream. I also make a great ranch dressing from it as well. Play with mustard, vinegar, lemon, seasonings and sweetener to get the flavor you prefer. One more suggestion. Read labels on sour cream. It should have cream and a bacterial culture only. Lotta time saving done by some producers by adding a shitload of ingredients that do not belong in real food. Around here Tillamook and Daisy are the brands I use.

For my first batch I chose the simplest recipe possible. It happened to be by Alton Brown.

1 egg yolk (I used the whole egg)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn (I used safflower oil)

1) In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients.
2) Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture.
3) Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands).
4) Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
5) Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

I used my stick blenders whisk attachment for everything up to step 4. Since the mixture was getting thicker I switched to the blender attachment. Also, I used the #2 speed setting (out of 12) for the whole process.

It's delicious, can't wait to taste it tomorrow after sitting over night in the fridge.

Also, most of the things I use mayo for could use a little garlic. Anyone made garlic mayo using fresh garlic?

Mayo (2) sm.JPG

For my first batch I chose the simplest recipe possible. It happened to be by Alton Brown.

1 egg yolk (I used the whole egg)
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn (I used safflower oil)

1) In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients.
2) Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture.
3) Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you've got an emulsion on your hands).
4) Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
5) Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

I used my stick blenders whisk attachment for everything up to step 4. Since the mixture was getting thicker I switched to the blender attachment. Also, I used the #2 speed setting (out of 12) for the whole process.

It's delicious, can't wait to taste it tomorrow after sitting over night in the fridge.

Also, most of the things I use mayo for could use a little garlic. Anyone made garlic mayo using fresh garlic?

View attachment 65382
Yay😁 let us know how it tastes tomorrow!

For my first batch I chose the simplest recipe possible. It happened to be by Alton Brown

View attachment 65382
GEORGIAN FIRE
The raw taste is strong with a nice hotness that is not unpleasant. A good salsa garlic or salad warmer.
I will have to try this with garlic.

I tried to make mayo again yesterday. The first batch “broke” before I finished. The second batch didn’t break but came out a little on the runny side. Today I read several websites with articles on the topic. I realized what I’d done wrong… the articles had methods of saving a broken batch.

They all listed adding a couple of teaspoons of boiling water and re-wiping slowly. They said raising the temp of the egg in the mixture would allow an emulsion to occur.

That’s when I knew… The first batch I made a week ago was perfect. A couple hours before I’d fed the chickens and gathered the eggs. My eggs were at room temperature.

Yesterday my eggs were cold right out of the fridge. The first broken batch I whipped to fast and used a cold egg. The second runny batch I worked a lot slower but still used a cold egg! Now I know, room temperature eggs are a must!

Tonight I sliced up a couple of catfish fillets and since tartar sauce is basically mayo with a couple additions I thought I’d include it here. I had fresh dill and I had dill pickles.

The recipe I followed also called for Dijon mustard and a splash of hot sauce. I’ve had tartar sauce with a kick before and liked it. I had an unopened jar of Dijon but didn’t want to open it just for a half teaspoon. I noticed I also had Ka-Me Chinese hot mustard, two birds!

This mustard is a lot hotter than the mustard packets that come with Chinese takeout. In fact it’s smoking hot! Only takes a little…

So, tonight I had homemade spicy tartar sauce with my catfish. It was yummy! It was a lot better than the stuff from the store.

Edit to add... the basic mayo recipe I follow calls for 1/2tsp of mustard powder (colemans). Why not add Chinese hot mustard to the basic mayo?

Tartar sauce (2) sm.JPG

Tartar sauce (6) sm.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back