Mayo

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since finally deciding to order the stick blender so I could make mayo I've been researching a lot of other "condiments". I've been surprised at the number of things made with mayo, all or in part.

Tartar sauce, Tzatziki sauce, ranch dressing, thousand island dressing just to name a few. Mayo is basically frothy oil, stabilized in a emulsion.

So you prefer a Vinaigrette on your salad? Lets see... oil, vinegar and mustard in an emulsion. Mayo is oil, vinegar, mustard and egg in an emulsion.

Anyway, this subject has educational, most condiments are tomato based, mustard based, vinegar based or oil based. Add an egg and you can make most anything in the condiment isle at the grocery store.

I'll share my basic mayo recipe, it is basic nothing fancy. 1 whole egg. (Most recipies just use yoke, this is a whole egg recipe). 1 to 1 1/4 C of canola oil. 1/2t ground mustard. 1T white vinegar. 1/4t salt. In food processor, process egg for 20seconds. Add vinegar salt and mustard, process another 20 seconds. Very slowly drizzle 1 cup of oil while processing until desired thickness. If mayo is not thickening enough, add more oil while processing until you get it how you like it!
Suggestion:
You might post your recipe over in recipes, so more people would find it.
Just a suggestion.

Latest posts

Back