1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

MEAN Endomag - review

Discussion in 'Gun accessories' started by The Lazy L, Oct 16, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 16, 2019 #1

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Old Cowpoke Neighbor HCL Supporter

MEAN Endomag is a neat way (IMHO) of converting a standard GEN2 or GEN3 5.56 Pmag into a 9mm mag.

My home range has a 3-gun competition limited to no rifle calibers. Berms, liability and etc.

I bought a Palmetto 9mm upper with BCG. Using the lower from a customer build (I call the lower Frankenstein), now I have a rifle capable of chambering 9mm.

During my search for a 9mm magwell adapter I ran across the MEAN Endomag conversion. Remove base plate, spring and followers from the Pmag and insert the Endomag and reuse the Pmag base plate. BINGO! I now have a 9mm Pmag to reinforce muscle memory but using cheaper 9mm ammo. WIN - WIN INMHO.

MEAN explains how to exercise the BCG to slowly shave the conversions soft plastic lips to allow operation. In my case I had to use a sharp hobby knife. With little effort on my part I had two of the three conversions working reliably. The third conversion was shipped with deformed lips, the mold die hadn't been complete filled with material. A email to MEAN with and explanation and pictures and a week later I had a replacement. MEAN has a life time warranty.

Off to the range I go. First time loading 30 rounds into the conversions. As expected the more round I loaded the more the spring was compressing. The 30th round took all of my effort with both thumbs to roll the 30th round into the mag. Then the mag would not lock into the mag well! If I lock the BCG rearward the the mag would lock, feed and fire with no problems. Experimenting I found if I load with no more than 20 rounds the mag would lock into the mag well with minimal effort. This 20 round limitation will work of the range's 3-gun. I'm disappointed in the limitation for TEOTWAWKI.

I email MEAN and they respond by calling me. I'm the only customer that has reported this problem. When they learn I'm using GEN3 with windows they suggest that Pmag changed the Pmag's specs to allow for the window. Do I have other Pmags I can test with. Yes I do, I'll retest and email them the results.

I tested GEN3 with windows, GEN3 without windows and GEN2 without windows. All three Pmag models will not allow the Endomag to lock into the mag well.

For grins and giggles I swapped out the Frankenstein lower with a Ruger lower. All three Pmag models will still not allow the Endomag to lock into the mag well.

I pointed out to MEAN that I have Lancer magazines that are designed to hold 30 rounds. BUT the Lancer will allow 31 rounds to be load BUT there is not spring compression left to allow it to lock into a mag well!

MEAN emailed me back. They will call me this afternoon and have their design engineer on the call too.

My Internet search found one reference to a Reviewer's quick mention of "if you don't load 30". Left a comment for the Reviewer for more information.

2. Oct 16, 2019 #2

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

OK, so I convert my mags to 9mm, They won't chamber in my AR and the bullets are so big they won't go down the barrel. I think I just wasted my time and money. :(:rolleyes:

Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  3. Oct 16, 2019 #3

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

It sounds like perhaps MEAN needed a little more testing before introducing their kits to the market.

Caribou and The Lazy L like this.
  4. Oct 16, 2019 #4

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Somebody tried to tell me I needed a new upper... I shoot my AR often and it is accurate and the bore looks new!
    I think I will stick to using 223/556 ammo until the barrel begins to show some wear. I still don't see what a new barrel will do to resolve the fit of the 9mm or how it can shrink a 9mm bullet down to 22 caliber.
    Maybe they need to show me...

Sentry18 likes this.
  5. Oct 18, 2019 #5

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

You lost me.

Sentry18 likes this.
  6. Oct 18, 2019 #6

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

I am playing really stupid and doing it in fun. Anyone who has an AR should know that there are uppers for a number of different rounds including the 9mm. I was saying that the 9mm won't chamber in my (223/556) AR. Playing dumb can be funny.

Terri9630, Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  7. Oct 18, 2019 #7

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

I got it now!

Sentry18 likes this.
  8. Oct 19, 2019 #8

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

I'm happy!

9. Oct 19, 2019 #9

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Update

MEAN marketing sent me a email stating thier engineer lefts a voice mail about wanting some specific pictures. I checked my phone, no VM. I advise marketing. Marketing states they will check on what's going on.

Sentry18 and Caribou like this.
  10. Nov 29, 2019 #10

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

A overdue update.

MEAN Engineer made several unsuccessful attempts to call me, Marketing had no problems calling me. Marketing tried to relay to me the technical questions their Engineer was asking. Relaying questions and answers through the Marketing wasn't working so I suggested why don't I mail you one of my G3 Pmag with your Endomag conversation I installed? They gladly accepted my offer.

A week after they received my Pmag with conversion they email me with their findings. The PSA G4 bolt carrier was incompatible with the Endomag. The y recommend using a FM bolt carrier. They also advised me that they have 3 new Endomags on the way to me at no cost to me.

FM bolt carrier is $100 so I placed the order for one with Brownells. The 3 promised Endomags arrived but my Pmag wasn't returned.

Today I'll mill out the 80% lower, assemble the AR9 and then retest the Endomags with the FM bolt carrier.

Caribou, Sentry18 and Bacpacker like this.
  11. Nov 29, 2019 #11

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

I have a Foxtrot Mike (FM Products) 9mm upper and BCG and they run great. Hope it helps.

Caribou likes this.
  12. Dec 5, 2019 #12

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

I made a mistake. The additional three Endomags they sent me came in a marketing package. I didn't bother to open because I thought I knew what was in the box.

I went online and order the BCG they recommended.

When the BCG arrived I tried finish building the AR-9. I learned the the new BCG used a standard Charging Handle (the Palmetto BCG used a propriety CH) and my youngest has my castle nut wrench. Back online to order a CH and CN wrench.

Today the CH and CN wrench are due to arrive. I opened the Endomag packing and there was a the Pmag I has sent to them for testing along with the three new conversions! So my early post that MEAN hadn't returned my Pmag was wrong.

Hopefully I can finish the build today and put some rounds through it.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    Terri9630, Caribou and Sentry18 like this.
  13. Dec 9, 2019 at 10:08 AM #13

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

The Lazy L

Made it to the local outdoor range for testing.
    Keep in mind this is the first time the rifle was fired in it is final configuration.

Palmetto upper with FM BCG.
    80% lower with 5D Tactical parts and 7.5 ounce buffer and spring.
    Magpul grip and stock.

Three Gen3 Pmags with windows with MEAN Endomag conversions. Mag #1 loaded with 10 rounds. Mag #2 loads with 20 rounds. Mag#3 loaded with 30 rounds.

Mag #1. Bolt closed. Locked into Magwell with minimal effort. Three failures to eject spent brass.
    Mag #2. Bolt closed. Locked into Magwell with little effort effort. No failures to feed or eject.
    Mag #3. Bolt closed. Took two hands to lock into Magwell with effort. With Bolt open, minimal effect to lock magazine into Magwell. No failures to feed or eject.

Conclusion.

The Endomag will allow me to compete locally because maximum magazine loads are 20 rounds.
    Reinnforcing muscle memory by using the 30 round Endomags instead of 5.56 30 round Pmags is not a viable option.

Caribou and Sentry18 like this.