Meat Rabbits

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@havasu can these rabbit posts be put in the new thread @Grimm started about Rabbits in the homesteading animals forum?

They can be, with Grimm's approval, some related posts will need to go with them as well or they will be out of place in this thread.

What post # begins the request? @Patchouli

@Grimm

Last edited:
They can be, with Grimm's approval, some related posts will need to go with them as well or they will be out of place in this thread.

What post # begins the request? @Patchouli

@Grimm
Go for it! I started the thread so move away!

I want to throw a few things out there for newbies to meat rabbit raising.

• Rabbits can and will breed through the wire! Don't think it won't happen. I have a doe who escaped her hutch and partied with one of my bucks through the wire. Now I am just waiting to palpate for kits and for her to kindle.
  • Rats will eat newborn rabbits if they can get to them. Most will assume mom is eating her babies but it is normally rats.
  • Rabbits can and will escape. There is always that one bun who will figure it all out and make a break for it. If you are bonded with your animals they will not go far so a live trap is a good thing to have on hand.
  • Rabbits chew out of boredom. If the cage/hutch is wood they will chew it to entertain themselves. Toys are a must. You don't have to spend money but having things you can give them to prevent chewing is good. Toilet paper tubes are free. Dried apple wood branches are free if you have a tree.
  • You don't need to medicate your rabbits to help them heal if they get sick. Herbs work. You also don't have to 'fix' them. You can always just cull.
  • They may be cute BUT they are livestock raised for meat/fur. Everyone ends up getting attached to the cute babies but you can't keep them all. Grow-out fails happen but try to only keep ones that will improve your line and growth rate.

We raise meat rabbits. Started with 3 black NZs. Californian buck. Daughter adopted a stray drop off along the way. We put up over 300 pounds of processed meat. We freeze and vacuum seal and also can. We cut the belly flap and organs out and grind some, sausage or bulk.
20210609_082940.jpg
20210323_081953.jpg
20210314_172653.jpg
20220123_111954.jpg
20210831_105420.jpg
20220123_112014.jpg

Weighed the bunnies. I also marked them so I could tell them apart and sexed them. I will keep sexing them until they are butchered. Roo is cleaning cages. She likes to drag her ass when she does this chore.

We raise meat rabbits. Started with 3 black NZs. Californian buck. Daughter adopted a stray drop off along the way. We put up over 300 pounds of processed meat. We freeze and vacuum seal and also can. We cut the belly flap and organs out and grind some, sausage or bulk.View attachment 100179
Saw some similar photos on one of the FB meat rabbit groups. Apparently the moose come through for the hay. Alaska as well.

We had pet rabbits as a kid, but our dog got into their crates and killed them. Rabbits were my favorite animal as a child. The butchering part would be hard for me.
Just remember Holy Grail...

3qqsso.gif

Just remember Holy Grail...

View attachment 100210
I was just visiting with a client who was talking about how wild rabbits can wreak havoc with dog walks. I have probably told this story before, but walking Crosby the ridgeback one day, up a short flight of stairs from a path, getting ready to turn left, and there was a rabbit. Leash in my right hand, and she gave chase, starting behind me. My instinct was to plant my feet firmly and hold on to the leash with all of my strength, but not that day. In a flash I realized the best thing to do was to let go, because she would have drug me down and with her. I released her leash, while is was literally spinning 360 degrees, and fortunately there was a sturdy bush that I grabbed onto to steady myself. I had visions of a broken hip or something. By the time I was done spinning and felt I was secure on my feet, she had returned, having lost the rabbit to the tunnel to it's warren.

All I know about rabbits is breeding date pertaining to county show. Hope someone else can help. I do know quick process for butchering them too. Husband won’t let me have rabbits. Says he doesn’t like rabbit.
Raising rabbits for pet food is an option. We feed the 'cast offs' to the dogs and cats. Our pups have not had the whole head yet but I will work my way to giving those to the dogs once I remove the ears (dried to be dog treats).

Back