Medical Question, reference Bandage/Dressing.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Any issue, as in serious or semi-serious problem with a water-proof or semi-waterproof bandage/dressing being in place for a few weeks......??? (Read not changed or removed).....???

I AM NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL, but when I was being treated in wound care, they were changed weekly, if not more often. The trouble with not changing is not seeing or identifying a healing/infection issue, and then it's past time to deal with it.

Last edited:
My wife has a port in her chest and it is covered with a water proof dressing that needs to be changed and the area disinfected every 7 days. But if it gets wet or loose it needs to be changed and the disinfection process must be done. For deep wounds and burns tap water is NOT clean enough for regular wound care, it can cause an infection.....

I have had burns that needed to stay dry and I applied a water proof dressing when bathing, but it also needed to "air" so after the shower and once I was fully dry the water proof dressing was removed and a fresh application of burn cream was applied and covered loosely with a no-stick dressing (you don't want the scab to form on the sterile dressing).

The type of wound that you have and things like drainage, will dictate how the wound will need to be treated. If a medical professional applied the dressing they should have provided you with specific instructions for care of your wound. If they did not, I could contact them to get specific instructions.

I don't know what type of wound you have but as already mentioned,, infection is usually the biggest problem, but also the wound may heal or stick to the bandage so when you do take it off you'll rip it wide open again and be back to square one,

Also depends on how tight the dressing is, wounds do need air to heal and without it could take longer. Allowing it to scab over is natures bandaid. But again, it depends on the type and size of the wound.

A new......But related question: So called "Self-dissolving" stitches for wounds, what exactly makes them dissolve......???? Sunlight, water from shower, body heat, sweat, "WHAT".....???

metabolism - your body consumes them.

Yes dressings should be changed at least every 48 hours if active wound to help guard against infection.
Dissolving sutures are made of proteins that our body can break down and the length of time will depend on the type of suture being used (and where it is) generally speaking.

Yes dressings should be changed at least every 48 hours if active wound to help guard against infection.

It has been on there for two and half weeks, if anyone ever stops by, hopefully they will remove it, and tell me what condition my condition is in. No pain.......so I assume everything is honkey-dory.

No pain.......so I assume everything is honkey-dory
That is incorrect. You won't know if you don't look. If you were expecting a health care provider to come by and inspect/change your dressing, but they didn't, that warrants a call to your doctor's office. If it's been 2-1/2 weeks, that call needs to be made immediately. I haven't worked on an ambulance for decades, and my paramedic cert is now expired, but I can't think of any scenario where a dressing would intentionally be left in place that long without inspection and changing. Far from it. Maybe 2-1/2 days (even that's pushing it in some cases), certainly not 2-1/2 weeks.

I agree with @Haertig , definitely call the office and find out what is going on. Did you get set up with home health? My sister in law had a cancerous mole removed on her leg and it got infected because the dermatologist office didn't give her the proper wound care instructions. I had to go to her place daily to do dressings and it was much better after a week. I don't know where your wound is, and what your medical history is, but no pain is not an indication that there is no infection (especially if your nerve endings are dead). Feel free to PM me if you have questions, I can try to help the best I can.

The bandage (about 4" x 5") is on my back where I can't reach it. I don't have any way to get to town, and that was the start of this "goat'rope" they put in a bunch of cross stitches over top of the self-dissolving wound closure stitches, to help hold it closed. Then after being reinformed that I had no way to get back to Anchorage, for the removal of those stitches. The cross stitches were "NOT" self-dissolving. They had to remove the cross stitches, and super bandage it, as I live in a disgusting highly unsanitary environment.

I had no way to get back to Anchorage
Removing stitches - I'm unclear if yours are still in or not - is not a procedure that requires "the big city". Nor is checking for infection or prescribing antibiotics for mild ones. Do you have any medical care closer to you? Even the most basic of clinics should be able to help you.

p.s. - the longer the stitches stay in past when they should be removed, the harder they are to get out. Not a disaster, but there will be more pulling and (minor) pain, maybe a bit of hydrogen peroxide needed to dissolve scabbing. Assuming to don't go totally rogue and leave them in for months.

Removing stitches - I'm unclear if yours are still in or not
There are about 33 self-dissolving stitches, with a 4"x5" (Hopefully waterproof or water resistant) bandage. The cross-stitches were removed when they fully grasped that I was not coming back for a year.

I don't want to step into the "giving you medical advice" area too far, but if they've already removed the regular stitches, leaving behind only the self dissolving ones, and after removing those stitches you've had a bandage on for two weeks - most likely you are good to go. If you haven't gotten infected thus far, you're probably not going to (cross your fingers). If you have a friend anywhere near, I'd ask them to remove your bandage (wash their hands first) and inspect for redness. Especially look for any streaking going out from the wound. Palpate (touch) the area checking for tenderness, swelling, warmth or evidence that things are not closed up as would be expected. If you pass, I'd call it good. If not, hopefully you have some first aid supplies to clean/disinfect/cover, but if not, even a clean washcloth duct taped in place is probably better than that 2-1/2 week old bandage you've got on there now.

UPDATE.......Today three weeks and three days after bandage was installed on my back where I could not reach, I finally got most or maybe all of it removed. Turns out that a spatula and a long handled stainless cooking spoon can if necessary be useful medical instruments. I can't see the wound, but there is no pain.

I would reach out to someone, anyone, to come by and look at it, have them take a picture of it and clean it with hydrogen peroxide to see if it fizzes. I had two burns one on each shoulder, I could reach 1 the other I couldn't and the wife would not clean that wound for me... It got infected and became a real cluster, I will always have a scare there now.

If you are bound and determined to go it alone and the waterproof bandage is gone and the wound is exposed. I would figure out some way to place a really big dressing on the inside of a button up shirt and then put some First Aid Antibiotic Ointment ( NEOSPORIN) on the dressing so that the dressing and ointment are on the wound tightly (an ace bandage around your body to hold it tight). After a day remove the shirt and check the dressing for discoloration from drainage or infection.....

But I strongly advise you to get someone to help you before it becomes a really big problem...

If you have a web-cam or phone with a camera set the place the camera where it can take a movie of your back, remember to give it good light (away from the camera). Heck even a game camera could take a couple of images that you could examine....

If I had "ANY" of those options.........it would have not been three plus weeks on there.

I'll be moving with-in 20'ish months. I have lived like this (more or less) for the last 52+ years. I have enjoyed my life. I take some satisfaction telling myself, that should there be a catastrophic SHTF event, my existence is likely "Suckier", then most preppers fear things could deteriorate for them. (I nearly crossed the line last winter; I am happy I survived).

I am sad for you @Sourdough and your situation, because it is hard to have to deal with things on your own. I wish I was close enough to just run over and give you a hand. All I can do is pray that you heal properly and someone drops in, just to help you out.

Any issue, as in serious or semi-serious problem with a water-proof or semi-waterproof bandage/dressing being in place for a few weeks......??? (Read not changed or removed).....???
Yes. You want to change it every few days to be sure the wound is healing properly and there is no infection.

Latest posts

Back