Medical Stents Are QUESTIONABLE.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
RHIS IS BASED ON MY OPINON ONLY,NOT ADVICE JUST OPNION.

Too late for me and millions of others who will be tied to medicine for life that can be dangerous. but maybe it will at least make someone else a least do their homework. The stent pandemic is non reversible and a life sentence.
Most od us won't give up our lifesyles liek smoking or eating and not exercising and control our high blood pressure so we go to the seembly line care system.
I have been sick from side effects every since I had the damn stents put in instead of bsllooon angio or lifesyle change.
I was tols by the 'dr.s 'that I was going to die and ignorant family members joined in talkign me into the procrdure. Too bad dr forget their oath " first do no harm". But of course it is we the patiant who does the most harm.

This is ALL MY OWN OPINON OF COURSE ,BUT NOT BEFORE MUCH RESERACH. Do your own.

I know it seems liek I am aginst medicine and doctors,not at all. I still go to dr.s but from now on I go armed with as much knowledge about treatment as I can. And from instittuions like Mayo,Standford, Emory, and other well known medical places with good reaserch.

I had three stents installed on New year's day 2001.

The only side effects I have is ...I take one baby aspirin every day,
and a few other BP meds, due to damaged heart muscle, not the stents.

I have had several heart caths done in 20 years just to check the stents and arteries . I get great reports .

I'm 100% convinced that I would not be here today without those stents.
I'm a big believer in new life prolonging technology.
I also carry a defib/pacemaker in my chest(4 years, with 7 years left in battery). This device monitors my heart 24/7 and reports to a center in CA, if anything abnormal I will immediately get a call.

Amazing life saving technology.

Jim

I had three stents installed on New year's day 2001.

The only side effects I have is ...I take one baby aspirin every day,
and a few other BP meds, due to damaged heart muscle, not the stents.

I have had several heart caths done in 20 years just to check the stents and arteries . I get great reports .

I'm 100% convinced that I would not be here today without those stents.
I'm a big believer in new life prolonging technology.
I also carry a defib/pacemaker in my chest(4 years, with 7 years left in battery). This device monitors my heart 24/7 and reports to a center in CA, if anything abnormal I will immediately get a call.

Amazing life saving technology.

Jim

My first cousin has had her pacemaker fot past 38 years,as did hubbys mom even longer. Those are life saving techical advances for sure.

First cousin had major heart attach and died for several minutes during operation about 40 yr ago aand still no stents.

I think it is best to alays be involved in your care and research any impostant treatment they advise. I did not need stents but got them anyway because they caught me at a weakend state and my family who had no knowledge about the heart at all agreed with doctors. They thought they were saving my life of course.
Anyway I'm glad your treatment is working for you and docare about you becuase I think your a good person and true cyber friend for about 10 years now. Hubby likes you too. But on this I can't agree .

Stents I can't agree with. I now have two of them put in 11days ago and wish I'd never allowed them. I'd had no problem with the balloon angio though. And medication plus lifestyle changes.

Years working in the medical field taught me there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to medical procedures. If a procedure helps 70 or 80% of folks who receive it does it mean they should stop trying it for the sake of the 20 or 30% it doesn't help? I don't even know the actual numbers when it comes to stints.

Long ago I knew the man who received the 3rd artificial heart valve ever installed in a human. He lived an extra 25 years... He also used to joke about the fact his particular valve design had been recalled by the manufacturer, which it had... He was a very funny man. 🤣

It's an even larger carp shoot when it comes to meds.

Last edited:
@Meerkat
Those stents within a year grow, become part of the artery wall.
I don't know what affect smoking will have on the stent healing and the artery healing.

Either way I too would love to have you hang around for many years to come. You are a good friend

Take good care of yourself.
I'll go ahead and say what I'm thinking....STOP SMOKING...:huggs:😬

Jim

Years working in the medical field taught me there is no one "size fits all" when it comes to medical procedures. If a procedure helps 70 or 80% of folks who receive it does it mean they should stop trying it for the sake of the 20 or 30% it doesn't help? I don't even know the actual numbers when it comes to stints.

Long ago I knew the man who received the 3rd artificial heart valve ever installed in a human. He lived an extra 25 years... He also used to joke about the fact his particular valve design had been recalled by the manufacturer, which it had... He was a very funny man. 🤣

It's an even larger carp shoot when it comes to meds.

Thanks for your opinion on this and my onlu hope is people stay invovled in their care,ask lots of questions before under going a serious procedure. :thumbs:

@Meerkat
Those stents within a year grow, become part of the artery wall.
I don't know what affect smoking will have on the stent healing and the artery healing.

Either way I too would love to have you hang around for many years to come. You are a good friend

Take good care of yourself.
I'll go ahead and say what I'm thinking....STOP SMOKING...:huggs:😬

Jim

And your correct about the smoking.That and sitting around too much past year or so plus letting BP get out of hand is what I did to myself. :I agree::thumbs:

You had your stents 11 days. Well don't jump to any conclusions. I have had 1 for 6 months zero problems. However I went to cardiac rehab, stay active and try to eat right. But that is just my version of taking responsibility for my heath.

You had your stents 11 days. Well don't jump to any conclusions. I have had 1 for 6 months zero problems. However I went to cardiac rehab, stay active and try to eat right. But that is just my version of taking responsibility for my heath.

Very good advice and I'm trying to get to the 4 minute walk.day before my heart ' attck' I walked for awhile at fast pace forgot how longbut good1/2 mile plus danced,did housework.
Cardiac rehab means a 70 mile round trip for us and that not feaseable considering meds costing over $100 a wk now. Although I cut them in half because of horrible side effcts, Plavix,not asiprin

Aslo Cas

, I'm glad your doing good .:great::thumbs:

I understand traveling is not ideal. My Cardiac rehab was on my way home from work. I got to leave an hour early and use sick leave. I can say exercising with a heart monitor and trained professionals was very reassuring. I had a very small heart attack but was still a little freaked at getting my heart rate up at first.

Last edited:
My Pops has had a couple stents...

First one in about 1982 or 83. He was 47 years old at the time and had a blockage in the artery that runs down the side of the heart. Angioplasty was a new procedure then. They popped that sucker open and stented it.

Next was about 2000. This was a bit more tricky. He had a blockage in a "Y" where an artery branches off of the Widowmaker artery. The docs attempted a stent in that tricky area, with the idea they would withdraw it if they couldn't place it in the Y. And they lost it. It traveled around his coronary system and lodged in a kidney. There was much concern, but it's done no damage to this point.

I wouldn't worry much, Meer. Recovery takes time.

I have no choice but to come off this Plavix because I can no longer take the side effects of no sleep, so weak attimes I can't stand up without help.worse panic attacks that are lasting longer than the first ones 3 weeks ago, disabling stomach pain,nasua and weakness.
I know most think its all in my head and thats ok if I can stop someone else from going thru this or at least do your research and know whats posible before you have a team standing over you teling you you will probably not even make it home alive.

When will medicine be done when all else fails instead of when certain groups or corporations claim it is the only way to go and only " allow " studies that claim it is beneficial instead of non bias research that go with facts?

Are there people who have not only survived this lifetime device implanted in theri heart and life improved, yes but no more than those who did less invasive therepy without the side effects.

The average cost of having an angioplasty was $38,000 in 2003, according to the American Heart Association. Thats per stent .

As it is today if you go to ER with chest pain or even a mild heart problem that can be treated less drastically and will not doom you to a lifetime of drug theropy with terrible side effects and likely and early death from future complications.
Also the drug and device manufactring companies are above the law and any court that has tried expose them for last 20 years has been overruled and thrown out.

https://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20070326/many-stent-procedures-unnecessary#1
The long-awaited results show that people with stable coronary artery disease who got common medications to lower blood pressure and cholesterol levels were no more likely to die or to have a heart attack over the next five years than those who also underwent angioplasty with stents.

Of course you know that I'm one of the great success stories of stent placement and plavix therapy.

I have to say that you are the only person , that I know, that has had negative responses. I know many people like me.

I hate to hear that your having such reaction.

Hang in there, call your doctor. Tell them what's happening. They need to know.

Jim

Of course you know that I'm one of the great success stories of stent placement and plavix therapy.

I have to say that you are the only person , that I know, that has had negative responses. I know many people like me.

I hate to hear that your having such reaction.

Hang in there, call your doctor. Tell them what's happening. They need to know.

Jim

Jim I told them and the toon that came ininsteadof the doctor I haven't seen since he took the money and ran, just said " I can'r make you take the medicine " and ran out the damn door.

Who am I going to tell on this go between to? Last time I saw this dr was a few days before surgery.
Last time I heard his voice he yelled at me " be still I'm in your heart" twice.

I understand what your saying and I also know peopel who have stents one stopped the meds for same reason like many on forums who also stopped.
I'm very glad fro all who meds don't hurt but point is in my case less radical threatment would have been better. I wa just starting to get off my chair and walk and then I had this chest pain and sat in ER with a bunch of coughing, puking, thinking they had crona .We sat in that er for 19 hours ,no beds or even a stretcher available.Its bad at hospitals now.

The Catch-22 of Plavix and the FDA: Not My Job -- Burt's Stent Blog "The Voice in the Ear"

Last edited:
Jim :huggs: thanks fro caring and ,
I'm still researching the meds .I feel like a different person on this med Plvix,weaker, loss of more than 5 or 6 hr.s sleep, panic attacks that last for hours, bad stomach pain,etc,etc,etc,

Below is one study I found,

Clinical Trial to Study If 3-Months of DAPT is Safe After XIENCE Stent

Dr. Roxana Mehran

“Limiting the duration of blood thinning medicine from 12 months to three months is particularly important for people at higher risk of bleeding due to factors such as older age, anemia, and renal disease," said Roxana Mehran, MD, FACC, FACP, FCCP, FESC, FAHA, FSCAI, professor of Medicine and director of Interventional Cardiovascular Research and Clinical Trials at the Zena and Michael A. Weiner Cardiovascular Institute at Mount Sinai School of Medicine and global principal investigator of the study. “The results of this study will help determine if doctors can safely reduce the amount of time that high bleeding-risk patients must take blood thinning medication after receiving a XIENCE stent to unblock coronary arteries.”

Dr. Charles Simonton

Dr. Charles Simonton

“Since its initial regulatory approval, XIENCE has been implanted in

Any info against these drugs is taken off line, so hard to find facts.

The Catch-22 of Plavix and the FDA: Not My Job -- Burt's Stent Blog "The Voice in the Ear"
"They haven't put a dime into clinical trials on the use of their drug in stents. They've piggy-backed onto the device makers and they haven't really needed to do the science. Like there's a real concern about Plavix resistance or hypo-responsiveness -- they haven't done squat on that.... They haven't had to act responsibly toward the use of their drug, the length of the time, and the potential premature termination. They could get it past a labeled indication if they did the proper trial, but they don't want to do it because they figure that they'll just make all the money with doctors using the drug off-label.
"You know all these trials done with clopidogrel were done as physician-sponsored or device-sponsored trials. So...they're fat and happy because they're making a fortune off of the use of Plavix for non-approved indications. Now what about that as a scandal?"
Bad drug companies; good device com

This below it the last one I'll post.
Plavix Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking clopidogrel:

More common

• Chest pain
  • collection of blood under the skin
  • deep, dark purple bruise
  • itching, pain, redness, or swelling
  • pain in general
  • red or purple spots on the skin, varying in size from pinpoint to large bruises
Less common
Less common

• Nosebleed
  • painful or difficult urination
  • shortness of breath
  • vomiting of blood or material that looks like coffee grounds
Rare

• Black, tarry stools
  • blistering, flaking, or peeling of the skin
  • blood in the urine or stools
    • confusion
    • fever, chills, or sore throat
    • headache (sudden, severe)
    • nausea or vomiting
    • stomach pain (severe)
    • ulcers, sores, or white spots in the mouth
    • unusual bleeding or bruising
    • weakness (sudden)
  • Incidence not known

Last edited:
I have a stent and so far doing good. I had my heart attack in Sept 2006 in Van Horn Tx, nearest hospital to help was El Paso. I got back to Tn and they put a defibrillator in June 07. I also go to cardio rehab 3x a week and it's an 80 mile round trip. With this covid 19 I stay away from everyone especially since rehab was shutdown. Hang in there Meerkat the good Lord ain't ready for you yet.

I looked at calender and its been 6 months.
After 23 days on plavix I cut it into 1/8th's then stopped it completely 4 days later.baby aspirin a day since,and little exercise mostly dancercize. We had a unusual hot spring so work outside has been seldom.
Not seen a doctor yet and not sure I'll keep appt. for this monday.Never met this new one another medical student so don't know what to do yet,will thinkabout it ovr weedend..

This is probably not a good idea so not suggesting it at all, just saying.

I could regret it any second big time.

Back