Medicare and the VA finally signed off on everything.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Well, Medicare and the VA finally signed off on everything and I have been approved, and accepted, by two fairly "high-end" private nursing homes. One in rural Western Mobile County, one nearly downtown. I told them I'd opt for the one out in the country, naturally!! I am now waiting on the nursing home to tell me my "move-in" date....could be any day now.

Decided to splurge a little...got a 40" flat screen for my room, and a new laptop...Dell Latitude, certified refurbished, 2.5 GHz i5 duo-core CPU with hyperthreading, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB high speed HDD, 15.5" screen, which doesn't matter a whole lot since I have HDMI cables to hook the TV up to the laptop and give me the equivalent of a 40" monitor for watching movies and videos. (Picture your computer with a 40" monitor...doesn't get much better than that!) And I have my 5.1 channel surround sound system to plug in to the TV or laptop, along with my 1 TB external HDD where I have all my movies and music stored. So, I'm all set in the TV and laptop department!!

I try to be optimistic about this nursing home bit, and the place does look like it will be OK. Coffee/snacks in the break rooms 24/7, Wi-Fi, cable, laundry service, barber shop, field trips twice a month, shopping trips weekly, transportation to/from all medical appointments and to pick up prescriptions, meals in the dining room or delivered to your room (no seconds if you have them delivered to your room, though!), fitness room with a spa, yada, yada, yada,.....hell, to listen to the list it sounds like a 5 star Resort Hotel!!! (And will cost Medicare/VA around $5,300 a month!) The only thing I don't particularly care for is the restrictions on "movement." You have to sign in/out whenever you leave/return, and you can't leave until after 8 AM, and have to be back in by 10 PM., and, of course, NO FIREARMS. (They are still pondering my request to have an air pistol/rifle, but I suspect the answer will be "NO!") Ah well, with the time I have left, it's unlikely any SHTF will happen before I kick off anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter if I can have my air pistols/rifles.

Anyhooo, just a matter now of being notified I can "move in."

I'm glad you found a place you're pleased with... Still wish I could drive down and bring you an oyster po boy. Round trip to mobile in a day is just too far for me. Any good places to eat near your new place? Any hotels? I haven't been on a road trip in a while.

Anyway, wish you all the pleasures of home at your new place. Keep us posted! :)

Fantastic to hear @VenomJockey and I hope you are happy and settle well into your new home. It sounds like a really well equipped nursing home and it is standard to sign in and out in most just to let you know. The reason being is if someone goes missing or suddenly develops memory loss.

A friend of mine is in an aged care facility and one of the patients went missing so the aged care facility rang the local club she frequented to search for her with description and they found her many hours after she should have come back. Prior to this she went out everyday to this club and was functioning well memory and otherwise but this particular day she couldn't remember who she was or where she lived either.

Latest posts

Back