Medicinal plant hunt 01Jan2418

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Who hunts for medicinal plants in January? I guess that’d be me. Some plants do grow this time of year. They are just harder to find because they are tiny!

First up in Heal all or Self heal (Prunella vulgaris). It’s an ancient woundwart, been used for millennia. I’ve used it. It’s in the mint family of plants (Lamiaceae). It has a square stem, Old saying… All mints have square stems but not all square stemmed plants are mints. I know a few plants in the Verbena family (Verbenaceae) with square stems.

Quote from a friend’s book “Selfheal lives up to its name in regards to wound healing but it’s also a useful anti-infective for colds and flu and herpes viruses, as well as an immune stimulant.” “Primarily, Selfheal reduces inflammation and increases tissue perfusion and angiogenesis around damaged tissue, whether open or closed wounds.”

Basically, a wound is faster to heal, has less inflammation and pain, less opportunity for infection and less scar tissue. It can be taken internally or be applied externally. I harvest it summer for making tincture just before it blooms.

Next is Mountain Mint (Pycnanthemum incanum). Yes, another one in the mint family. The flowers of this plant are used.

3rd is Sweet Leaf (Monarda fistulosa) This plant was very important to Native Americans and is still used by them. It has many uses. I use it for severe headaches, used it today in fact. Yet another mint.

4th is Yarrow (Achillea millefolium) another ancient woundwart. I’ve used this plant many times with amazing results. I didn’t have to hunt this one, it grows at the end of my porch (but I did sneak up on it to take the picture!).

5th is Yellowroot (Xanthorhiza simplicissima) No leaves yet but it has budded. It’s very good for G/I issues but it has many other uses.

Heal All (1)_v1.jpg
Mountain Mint (1)_v1.jpg
Sweet Leaf 5.jpg
Yarrow (2)_v1.jpg
Yellow Root (2)_v1.jpg

Latest posts

Back