Medicine plant of the Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Pearl I obviously have too many photos to go through but I took a photo of what you are describing here in Texas. If I could find them I would post them.
Stinkhorn fungi. There are several different colors and there is one other one that well ...never mind. I'm not going to write about it. This is a fairly gross and disgusting looking photo of one, others don't look quite as bad. If we could just not let our thoughts lead us in that direction...would we even be able to discuss it here. no. I do not think so.
That's it, have only seen them when it's an unusually wet spring or summer. Are they actually a mushroom? Do they have any medicinal purposes?

I haven't seen it here. I don't know much about mushrooms, only a few medicinal or edibles. I see a lot of different species in woods around here but haven't studied them as a group. But i do know mushrooms are some of the most dangerous plants in the woods. And there's a lot of bad ones.
Surprised you don't have them there?!

Nature is filled with powerful antivirals. Just about anything in the mint family is antiviral. Best part, many are area specific. Some are better for upper respiratory, others for the lungs and bronchial tubes. And still others can address both.

Many times they can address other issues concurrently. Exp. can address a virus and dampen a cough or clear a stuffy head. Like poke sallet, powerful enough to kill the aids virus in mice but can ease arthritis pain at the same time.

Last edited:
What are the weird little things that look like mushroom penises?? 4" tall pinkish, looks like penis???
IMG_20231116_174220_01.jpg

And look what I found today!! Unusual time of the year!!

Found this today, a surprise actually, usually don't see it until march. Then i started seeing dozens of them, also a surprise.

Chimaphila maculata aka Pipsissewa, Spotted Wintergreen and Striped Wintergreen

An amazing plant!!! Also very powerful. It flushes and tones our entire lymphatic system and glands. And if that wasn't enough... it flushes and tones our urinary tract, great for kidneys and the bladder. Get kidneys working perfectly. It'll even reduce a swollen prostate, under certain conditions. It’s not for topical use. It contains tannin's that will raise a blister on your skin.

A very beneficial plant but hard to find. It’s quirky, likes old timber in general but will show up in odd places. Will put up a single stalk and have one small flower. I only see it in early spring, disappears in a few short weeks.

Remembered another use... 100yrs ago here in the south horses and mules were the only power on a farm. During spring plowing over worked horses and mules would be fed crossvine (an adaptogen) and wintergreen.

Crossvine worked on their adrenal glands giving them energy (one of several things). The wintergreen flushed the toxins from the lymphatic system and toned the kidneys. The horses recovered quickly and would be ready for work the next morning.

20240209_ wintergreen 29a.jpg

I have seen stripped Wintergreen here in Midlands of S.C.

What are stinkhorns? Stinkhorns are mushrooms that are found from the tropics to more temperate regions such as Wisconsin. They can suddenly appear in mulch, lawns, and areas with bare soil. These visually-shocking fungi get their common name from their characteristic, unpleasant odor. Although they are often unwanted additions to home gardens, stinkhorns do not cause plant dise stinkhorns ase. Because stinkhorns can grow on dead organic material, they actually are beneficial in that they contribute to the recycling of plant debris into nutrients that improve soil fertility and can be used by garden plants.
https://hort.extension.wisc.edu/articles/stinkhorns/

Last edited:
Found this today, a surprise actually, usually don't see it until march. Then i started seeing dozens of them, also a surprise.

Chimaphila maculata aka Pipsissewa, Spotted Wintergreen and Striped Wintergreen

An amazing plant!!! Also very powerful. It flushes and tones our entire lymphatic system and glands. And if that wasn't enough... it flushes and tones our urinary tract, great for kidneys and the bladder. Get kidneys working perfectly. It'll even reduce a swollen prostate, under certain conditions. It’s not for topical use. It contains tannin's that will raise a blister on your skin.

A very beneficial plant but hard to find. It’s quirky, likes old timber in general but will show up in odd places. Will put up a single stalk and have one small flower. I only see it in early spring, disappears in a few short weeks.

Remembered another use... 100yrs ago here in the south horses and mules were the only power on a farm. During spring plowing over worked horses and mules would be fed crossvine (an adaptogen) and wintergreen.

Crossvine worked on their adrenal glands giving them energy (one of several things). The wintergreen flushed the toxins from the lymphatic system and toned the kidneys. The horses recovered quickly and would be ready for work the next morning.

View attachment 124263
I've seen that around here

Interesting that yours looks just a little bit different, leaf shape is rounder and looks more veined.

I see a pattern to this... Where mullein gets lots of rain it's leaves tend to be much bigger. And, the western mullein may be a subspecies? Don't know...
---------------------------------------------------

Had to go to town so I did a little plant hunting. Found yellow root in bloom. Most plants get big, put on leaves before blooming. Yellowroot is similar to many trees, they reproduce as soon as they bud out. It's leaves are still tiny.

20240304_yelrt821.jpg
20240304_yelrt918.jpg

Last edited:
Not really medicines, don't know anyone who uses them... But two of my favorite wild plants, Azaleas and Sweet Shrub... Not a lot of blooms from either species this spring, no explanation, we've had plenty of rain, cold at the right times... Funny how nature has it's rules but doesn't tell the rest of us what they are!!! 🤣 Wild plants never cease to surprise me. Just when i think i know a species well... it does something inexplicable.

20240405_plalz12a.jpg
20240405_plalz15a.jpg
20240405_plsweetsh054a.jpg
20240405_plsweetsh114a.jpg
20240405_plsweetsh118a.jpg

Last edited:
I just noticed my poke berry bush emerging. I had to dig it up to move it so I was worried I might have killed it. (We pay money for them here.)
I will mail you all the root you need, just DM me an POB. I doubt you can kill them, unless the tried real real hard to.
Fire broke out, burned every plant to the ground & killed a few small trees & the poke came back before the grass did.

Latest posts

Back