Medicine plant of the Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked my books, yep, those pyrrolizidine alkaloids are bad news. However... there are strains/varieties of comfrey.

Read a few of them don't contain the pyrrolizidine alkaloids but are still only used cautiously.

They are only used externally as a poultice. My books gives uses... a broken arm, finger, etc. Use the leaves as a poultice and speed healing of broken bone, a bad bruise, sprained ankle. Not on open wounds.

Mullein speeds the healing of broken bones too, said to be better. It grows wild where I live, plentiful. Several plants help heal bones.

Just a though... if the variety I have contains those pyrrolizidine alkaloids? How would I know? The majority of them have these pa's.

If using for compost? then these pa's are getting in my food. I see no real benefit in keeping it around unless I can be certain it's pa free. All the things it does are done better by other plants that grow wild anyway. But... if I needed it and saw it I'd use it til I could do better with something else.

That's my view of all medicine plants. Most any condition there a few different plants that can be used. I use what's handy first.

Last edited:
But the thing to remember is that unless you have liver disease or other weaknesses, diseases, illnesses that would be affected by using comfrey, it isn’t going to kill the majority of us. The FDA can’t control the use of comfrey, so they said we can’t ingest it.
And they also said at some point ya can’t grow it either.

Found a new medicine plant today... Bidens frondosa aka Devil's beggartick. I knew it was a bidens as soon as I saw it. Also knew it was a species I haven't seen.

It is medicinal as are all the Bidens species, a very good antiviral. Excellent for viral gastroenteritis diseases like Rota and Noro viruses. Also excellent against herpes (fever blisters).

Bidens frondosa - It has a ring of leaves around the bloom that look like green petals.

Bidens frondosa 19a.JPG

I use Bidens bipinnata aka Spanish Needles Beggar Ticks. It's extremely common here, more so than the others species (4). I find it everywhere, edges of cultivated fields or garden. It loves any kind of disturbed soil. It's easy to find, process and make tincture with. It's also almost identical to ragweed... Most people confuse the two.

Spanish needles...

Bidens 01 (1).JPG

Here's another odd Bidens... Bidens vulgata. It's ring of leaves around the bloom are much more pronounced. From 10ft it looks like a single bloom. I remember finding one for the first time, blew my mind, green blooms??? It looked really strange!

Bidens vulgata green a  (3).jpg

I use Bidens bipinnata aka Spanish Needles Beggar Ticks. It's extremely common here, more so than the others species (4). I find it everywhere, edges of cultivated fields or garden. It loves any kind of disturbed soil. It's easy to find, process and make tincture with. It's also almost identical to ragweed... Most people confuse the two.

Spanish needles...

View attachment 95086
Yes, we have it here also, I would have wiped it off the face of the earth, now you tell me it is good for me!!!??!:eek: :eek: :eek: :oops::rolleyes::)

Harvested "Rabbit Tobacco" today. I'll hang it to dry in my herb room. Leave it there over winter. It's an incredibly complex plant.

I keep some in my herbroom for the scent... Most of the time there is no scent. But it will randomly fill my house with a very wholesome scent.

If you wish to read the details about it...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/rabbit-tobacco.6841/
Rabbit Tobacco 28a.JPG

I did see more yellowroot today. It's leaves are beginning to turn yellow. I would harvest it looking this way. In another week-10days I wouldn't harvest, depending on how many leaves drop off.

Can you harvest the stem and root in winter, yes. But harvesting the root kills the plant. I would use meat shears and cut it off an inch above the ground and the next year it'll grow again. The stems can be used in winter just like summer.

The most efficient way is to harvest in mid summer. All the leaves have the same properties as the stem. In the summer there are plenty of leaves to harvest along with stems. More bang for the buck so to speak. More efficient use of time and plant material.

Freeman oct22 19a.JPG

Turmeric! 4qts. Turmeric’s anti-inflammatory chemical compound is Curcumin, a wonderful anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. It tends to be over used though.

Black pepper and curcumin complement each other. If you ingest turmeric and black pepper together your body is able to absorb higher quantities of curcumin. Compounds in black pepper make the curcumin more bioavailable, maximizing the healing qualities.

I added peppercorns to 2 of these quarts. I want to test them in a straight head to head comparison. I can add peppercorns later to those without them if needed. I purchased 1lb of organic turmeric root. Made all of it into tincture.

Edit... peppercorns also have the same effect on berberine... allows more of it to be absorbed by our bodies. Many plants contain berberine. Yellowroot is but one.

Term a 02a.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, but with those ingredients+ red pepper and mint it would make a fine poultice for lots of ailments like sore muscles. might even go good in an inhaler/steam therapy. I can see literally dozens of uses for your mix!

Turmeric stains your skin yellow, badly. Worse stains than poke berries or any other plant I can think of. It's the last thing I would use as a poultice. Also, it works best when ingested.

And red pepper? Why? On the skin it stimulates capillary blood flow. On the skin! It does nothing for internal inflammation like arthritis or inflamed internal injury. And, if capillary action were my goal there are several other plants that accomplish this far better and doesn't burn the skin. Like yarrow, works internally and externally. Moves blood better than any plant I know.

Aside from a couple survival books under first aid red pepper isn't mentioned in serious herbal medicine. Except as a blood mover during a heart attack or to kill intestinal worms. And that was during the 1800's. Again, red pepper is not a treatment for inflammation. IF I were having a heart attack in a restaurant I''d grab the red pepper flakes but I would never consider it for a poultice. Again, there is no point to doing so. Any of the yucca plants make a great poultice for sprains.

The only reason I'm using black pepper above is that it helps the body absorb more turmeric. I would never advise anyone to use turmeric as a poultice or red pepper for inflammation... or either as an inhaler. Make some tincture, put a a few drops in you coffee or tea. No mess or irritated skin. Works better and you're not stained yellow like big bird! Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.

I've posted some of the best books available on herbal medicine in the library. I advise anyone to start there. There are dozens of great plants for treating sore muscles either taken internally or as a poultice. You won't find red pepper or turmeric listed for either.

Turmeric stains your skin yellow, badly. Worse stains than poke berries or any other plant I can think of. It's the last thing I would use as a poultice. Also, it works best when ingested.

And red pepper? Why? On the skin it stimulates capillary blood flow. On the skin! It does nothing for internal inflammation like arthritis or inflamed internal injury. And, if capillary action were my goal there are several other plants that accomplish this far better and doesn't burn the skin. Like yarrow, works internally and externally. Moves blood better than any plant I know.

Aside from a couple survival books under first aid red pepper isn't mentioned in serious herbal medicine. Except as a blood mover during a heart attack or to kill intestinal worms. And that was during the 1800's. Again, red pepper is not a treatment for inflammation. IF I were having a heart attack in a restaurant I''d grab the red pepper flakes but I would never consider it for a poultice. Again, there is no point to doing so. Any of the yucca plants make a great poultice for sprains.

The only reason I'm using black pepper above is that it helps the body absorb more turmeric. I would never advise anyone to use turmeric as a poultice or red pepper for inflammation... or either as an inhaler. Make some tincture, put a a few drops in you coffee or tea. No mess or irritated skin. Works better and you're not stained yellow like big bird! Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean you should.

I've posted some of the best books available on herbal medicine in the library. I advise anyone to start there. There are dozens of great plants for treating sore muscles either taken internally or as a poultice. You won't find red pepper or turmeric listed for either.
I've heard/read black pepper, when ingested has anti inflammatory properties.

I've heard/read black pepper, when ingested has anti inflammatory properties.
Yes, many of our foods and spices have medicinal properties, a good thing.

But would I choose red or black pepper to treat inflammation? No, the simple reason... there are much better plants for that job that are readily available. They are also easy to prepare and simple to use.

Yes, many of our foods and spices have medicinal properties, a good thing.

But would I choose red or black pepper to treat inflammation? No, the simple reason... there are much better plants for that job that are readily available. They are also easy to prepare and simple to use.
And so much better than putting chemicals in your body!!

I stand educated. but what of mustard and horseradish plasters?

I stand educated. but what of mustard and horseradish plasters?
What about mustard plasters? Is it the most effective method and plant to accomplish your goal?

I'm not judging a poultice or a plaster. The method is the last concern. I think in simpler terms...

1. What is the illness/issue?
2. What are best plants for my issue?
3. What is the most effective application method to get the benefit of the plant?

I think that's the core concepts when using plants. Making a plaster simply because that's what grandpa did is silly. Unless a person understands what a plant is doing they can (an usually) do more harm than good.

Searched about 300 acres of cut over timber this afternoon. I knew loggers were working there. Turns out is was a cousin doing the logging. I spoke to him for a while. He said the land was all farmed pine so I didn't expect to find anything good and I didn't.

I did find a small piece of Crossvine aka Bignonia capreolata. It’s an “Adaptogen”. Not enough to bother drying or making into a tincture.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/crossvine.7449/
Hurst logging 99a.JPG
Hurst logging 502a.JPG

After 5 weeks inside I'm about stir crazy, had to get out of the house. Took a walk to see whats growing... Yep! medicines are coming up!

I found Cleavers, tiny this time of year.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/cleavers.1506/

Dandelions are everywhere, a good early spring tonic... Edit to add... just realized there is a 2nd medicinal plant in this photo... Alum root.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/dandelion.1235/

Yarrow is coming up in my yard again this year. Spreading like I hoped it would.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/yarrow.1922/
20230109_cleavers02a.jpg
20230109_dandyLa.jpg
20230109_yarrow01a.jpg

Early spring medicines are growing… My elderberry bushes have leafed out, looks strong.

20230221_120650.jpg

20230221_120655.jpg
20230221_120712.jpg

Next is Alum root aka crane’s bill aka Geranium maculatum. It was heavily used by the north and south during the civil war for treating dysentery. The root is still used in Appalachian folk medicine. In my top 3 for treating stomach ulcers and diarrhea. Careful though… to much and your problem will be constipation. It works very similar to blackberry leaves.

20230221_120903.jpg

Goldenrod coming up! Old medicine, great for most things kidney related. During the crusades it was used to treat battle wounds, burns, cuts. Sort of funny, the crusaders learned about goldenrod from the Saracens (arabs). Dried goldenrod leaves became so valuable in England it was literally worth it’s weight in gold. At least until someone discovered goldenrod growing in Suffolk. Bet the guy who cornered the leaf market lost his butt!

20230221_120923.jpg

And my favorite medicine… Sweet Leaf aka Monarda fistulosa aka beebalm, it’s up 3” already.

20230221_121437.jpg
20230221_121445.jpg
20230221_121453.jpg

Latest posts

Back