Members You Remember of Forums Past.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I first came online in 1999 to write to son who was in military and my first forum WebMD. My second was CourtTV.
I was on Court TV forum about a year and met this lady who user name was KOKO. She had this gorella she had raised and was named KOKO. I had never typed till online so made all kinds of typing errors. She said her ape was more educated than I was, so off to the races we went. She was a real piece of work but once I got to know her a little better she was entertaining and fun to argue with. She liked me too. She is a very smart lady and I wonder where she hangs out now.
Another forum was DiscussAnything for 14 years,it closed down a couple years ago. A member on CourtTV invited me to Discussanything. She was liberal but a nice person and we got along fine till she got mad at another member and left ,I missed her .
Anyway below is the lady I jokingly called Queen KoKo. I hear her freind KOKO died not sure,hope not. She taught the ape to speak sign lango.

Penny and KOKO became quite famous ,here the two females are with Robin Williams.

Last edited:
Another forum I was on for years is where I met most of you folks. PS was a great site for a long time till it wasn't so great. I really learned a lot from that site.
Other than a couple fishing forums, boat and garden forums I hardly posted on thats about it for me.

Over the years I tried a number but never found one where I seemed to fit, Until I found the site that shall not be named before this one and it seemed like home until it went sideways in a hurry. Then I moved here, along with some of the others, and felt right at home immediately.

I started on a gun forum and I have visited a few of those but never found a home. I met many here at another site that became my home until we moved here. There was one other site similar to this one, though not as active, that I enjoyed. When Snowden was in the news the administrator said he did the same work as Snowden. The door didn't hit me in the

Over the years I tried a number but never found one where I seemed to fit, Until I found the site that shall not be named before this one and it seemed like home until it went sideways in a hurry. Then I moved here, along with some of the others, and felt right at home immediately.

BOB, it got bad but it wasn't always that way. Look at all the nice knowledgeable people we met there. :huggs:But it changed and we didn't so goes life. :green man:

Mike Rowe had a forum that I frequented during the Dirty Jobs years. He was an exceptional communicator! For some reason there were a lot of liberals on that forum that thought they would teach Mike a thing or two. It was amusing to see Mike shut them down in the nicest of ways. He had a real knack for using common sense and witty humor to get his point across. I really miss that forum! I think when Dirty Jobs stopped filming, the forum was shut down. I miss Mike!

I started on a gun forum and I have visited a few of those but never found a home. I met many here at another site that became my home until we moved here. There was one other site similar to this one, though not as active, that I enjoyed. When Snowden was in the news the administrator said he did the same work as Snowden. The door didn't hit me in the

I have to say on one of those sites I leaned as much from those I didn't agree with as I did from those I did agree with.
Made me think and investigate a few things I thought I knew. But then I came to prepping sites and stayed. I do have one other site I forgot about but it is too political. And some people can't handle the truth :D. So I left before I was banned. I go there to get my news now and then, but don't sign in.

Mike Rowe had a forum that I frequented during the Dirty Jobs years. He was an exceptional communicator! For some reason there were a lot of liberals on that forum that thought they would teach Mike a thing or two. It was amusing to see Mike shut them down in the nicest of ways. He had a real knack for using common sense and witty humor to get his point across. I really miss that forum! I think when Dirty Jobs stopped filming, the forum was shut down. I miss Mike!
I admire people who have that gift. I don't.

I have to say on one of those sites I leaned as much from those I didn't agree with as I did from those I did agree with.
Made me think and investigate a few things I thought I knew. But then I came to prepping sites and stayed. I do have one other site I forgot about but it is too political. And some people can't handle the truth :D. So I left before I was banned. I go there to get my news now and then, but don't sign in.
There is always something to learn, even from people who rub us the wrong way.

You know we never know who we are posting with on these sites. All kinds of people come online from all walks of life. I know fro a fact a famous radio host was on one I was on. Too many coincidences to mean anythign els.

BOB, it got bad but it wasn't always that way. Look at all the nice knowledgeable people we met there. :huggs:But it changed and we didn't so goes life. :green man:
I know it wasn’t all bad. I enjoyed it before the problems and as you said I met many of you there. Life has its seasons.

Last edited:
When I first moved to lake Guntersville I started visiting a local fishing forum to help me learn the lake. It was a great site! Then I became addicted to gun forums and moderated on one till I was Banned for mentioning this forum! This is the only forum I'm on now. No desire to go anywhere else!

When I first moved to lake Guntersville I started visiting a local fishing forum to help me learn the lake. It was a great site! Then I became addicted to gun forums and moderated on one till I was Banned for mentioning this forum! This is the only forum I'm on now. No desire to go anywhere else!
I will never admit it publicly and I will deny saying it ... but I am glad you are here

I have joined a number of forums over the years and probably still belong to all of them, if they are still in existence. How a forum is set up, how people interact with each other, and how it is moderated makes a very big difference. All it takes is for one or two people to run over, bully and insult people for them to go down the tubes quickly. It happened at our old hangout. We had one member who used to send nastygrams to some people every time they posted. I was not on the receiving end of that, but heard from others that they were. In a moderated group, bullies need to be reported immediately.

This is my rant about forums… There was a forum a few years ago that I really liked. It was about plant identification. People could post photos of plants they didn’t know and people who were experienced would help identify them. I learned thousands of plants there. Most of the people in the forum were good people. I’m still in touch with a few of them.

It ended badly for me though. I taught a plant class to a family. A young lady in that class was very pregnant, at least 7 months. She was one of the funniest people I’ve ever met. I laughed my way through the entire class. I give a handout to every participant. It includes a list of great books and websites to get good plant information and that plant forum.

Several members in the forum taught plant classes. I started a thread in the chat section about the very funny young lady who happened to be pregnant. I was asking the other teachers about any funny students they had taught or funny situations. The board owner responded first but he didn’t actually read my post. All he saw where the words pregnant and plants. He wrote something along the lines of “I don’t give medicinal plant advice to pregnant women”. A moderator responded next and he didn’t read my post at all. His post began with the word “DANGEROUS” and he went on a rant.

If any member of the family I just taught read those two posts they would have believed I had some how endangered them! That didn’t happen, I actually skipped a couple of plants I normally teach because the lady was pregnant.

I had to have another moderator delete the entire thread because two knuckle heads couldn’t read simple English! My thread was about a very funny young lady, not a pregnant lady seeking medical advice. I was furious!

There were two famous herbalists who were members. There was medical section in the forum where they answered questions. A week after the first event my cousin had a serious question so I posted it for her. Those same two knuckle heads hijacked my thread with a page and a half of nonsense. That was not tolerated in the medical section. If you didn’t know the answer to a question you didn’t post there.

I didn’t go off on them but I did put my thread back on topic. A 2nd moderator hijacked my thread again. I went off on all 3 of them. The next morning I had an email telling me I was being given a 2 week time out. Even though I couldn’t log in I saw my thread had been deleted. I had assumed the thread or my last post would be deleted. I had a copy of it so I emailed it to a dozen other members.

I never went back. 8 more of the main people left in my support. I kept in touch with several people through FB. They told me the forum was never the same. Simply because a forum owner couldn’t read english or follow his own rules. :(

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back