Memorial Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
md.png

I dedicate this song to my Brother

View attachment 42884
He came back from the jungle with demons tormenting him every day till he finally found peace.

Craig Douglas Davis RIP
Born while our country was at war.
Served our country in a war.
Died while our country was at war.
Rest in peace.

When and where all 1.2 million plus service men and women died for this nation. 🇺🇸

(Not quoted because I want it easy for all to see. Link is below.)

American Revolution (1775-1783)

Battle Deaths: 4,435

War of 1812 (1812-1815)

Battle Deaths: 2,260

Indian Wars (approx. 1817-1898)

Battle Deaths (VA estimate): 1,000

Mexican War (1846-1848)

Battle Deaths: 1,733

Other Deaths (In Theater): 11,550

Civil War (1861-1865)

Battle Deaths (Union): 140,414

Other Deaths (In Theater)(Union): 224,097

Battle Deaths (Confederate): 74,524

Other Deaths (In Theater)(Confederate): 59,297

Spanish-American War (1898-1902)

Battle Deaths: 385

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 2,061

World War I (1917-1918)

Battle Deaths: 53,402

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 63,114

World War II (1941 –1945)

Battle Deaths: 291,557

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 113,842

Korean War (1950-1953)

Battle Deaths: 33,739

Other Deaths (In Theater): 2,835

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 17,672

Vietnam War (1964-1975)

Battle Deaths: 47,434

Other Deaths (In Theater): 10,786

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 32,000

(These cover period 11/1/55 to 5/15/75)

Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991)

Battle Deaths: 148

Other Deaths (In Theater): 235

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 1,565

Global War on Terror, including Iraq and Afghanistan (Oct 2001 - present)

Total Deaths: 6,888.

In addition to those, the State Department Office of the Historian lists the Philippine-American War, 1899 to 1902, citing the deaths of more than 4,200 U.S. combatants.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/memorial-day-12m-people-died-fighting-america/story?id=39475580

If you count our European allie those deaths grow tremendously.

Last edited:
I have active accounts with a couple genealogical research websites and was informed by email today that they have record of my grandfather's military service. !!!
This time it's my mom's dad, and again, I didn't know he served during WWI. It was never spoken of in my presence and I didn't see any proof anywhere. I don't recall any info on military service in either of my grandfathers' obituaries.

I love Memorial Day.
At our parade back east I was always the rebel who had the nerve to clap when the Confederate re-enactors would march past. I got a lot of dirty looks but I had ancestry on both sides of that war, including some who were killed or passed away from lousy prison conditions.

I have active accounts with a couple genealogical research websites and was informed by email today that they have record of my grandfather's military service. !!!
This time it's my mom's dad, and again, I didn't know he served during WWI. It was never spoken of in my presence and I didn't see any proof anywhere. I don't recall any info on military service in either of my grandfathers' obituaries.

I love Memorial Day.
At our parade back east I was always the rebel who had the nerve to clap when the Confederate re-enactors would march past. I got a lot of dirty looks but I had ancestry on both sides of that war, including some who were killed or passed away from lousy prison conditions.

History is very hard to study because of th biaes on each sides. But it always helps to see who profitted the most from war to see the reason it happened.
Some reasons are legit and some aren't.

My oldest sent me this via email. Felt it was worth posting here. 🇺🇸

FOUR THINGS "NOT TO DO" ON MEMORIAL DAY:

1. DON'T WISH ANYONE A "HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!" This is not a holiday like Christmas and this day was not created to bring glee! Despite what the day has transitioned to in American culture, it was established to reflect, honor and remember America’s military fallen.

2. DON'T DISREGARD ITS IMPORTANCE. Sure enjoy the sales, grill some amazing steaks, and find the perfect mattress on sale, just don’t forget to raise a glass in honor of those servicemen and women who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

3. DON'T FORGET IT EXISTS. This holiday exists for a reason. Use this day to reflect and honor our fallen heroes who paid the ultimate sacrifice for you!

4. DON'T LET POLITICS KEEP YOU FROM RENDERING RESPECT! Even if you don’t agree with the idea of war, or the reasons America goes to war, or the policies of a particular president who was the Commander in Chief during a specific war, it doesn’t matter. People have defended the people and interests of America for over 200 years, and your right to disagree with the reasons for war should be separate from your opinion of the troops themselves.

100101293_10218000982069375_51139750391709696_n.jpg

[Picture is of Gold Star Wife, Ms. Laura Youngblood weeping over the grave of her husband Travis L. Youngblood at section 60, Arlington]

My oldest sent me this via email. Felt it was worth posting here. 🇺🇸

FOUR THINGS "NOT TO DO" ON MEMORIAL DAY:

[Edited because the points are in the post above this one.]

View attachment 42933

[Picture is of Gold Star Wife, Ms. Laura Youngblood weeping over the grave of her husband Travis L. Youngblood at section 60, Arlington]
Thanks for the relay. The four points are good ones; I couldn't avoid shedding a few tears with and for Ms. Youngblood, but that's OK.

We got up this morning, got dressed, and went to the war memorial in town. One of the local ROTC detachments had a small but nice ceremony. We then discussed with our children how these men and women died for a nation worth creating, worth defending, and worth continuing to fight for. We also discussed how some people are prisoners of darkness & negativity, but that we are not. We live our best life every day to honor those who served and sacrificed for our freedom.

American Flag at half staff.jpg

We got up this morning, got dressed, and went to the war memorial in town. One of the local ROTC detachments had a small but nice ceremony. We then discussed with our children how these men and women died for a nation worth creating, worth defending, and worth continuing to fight for. We also discussed how some people are prisoners of darkness & negativity, but that we are not. We live our best life every day to honor those who served and sacrificed for our freedom.

View attachment 42974

Fear is healthy if is rational. A normal reaction to danger.

Latest posts

Back