Memorial Day

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phideaux

Old fashioned
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I salute and I honor all the true heros.
Some were my family, some were my friends,

Thank you...
arlington-national-cemetery.jpg

images.jpeg
download.jpeg

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Sometime during the week after Memorial Day I intend to continue my practice of setting a (plastic) bouquet in the plots at the Ludlow VT cemetery where my family remains rest. Two of those plots include an American Legion memorial flag. There are several more of those flags along my journey to the family plots and on my way out of the cemetery. I pause at each of them and say aloud the name inscribed. No reason, except I want their names to be spoken, and I can speak them.

This is my favorite Memorial Day quote. The more I read it, the deeper the meaning.

I have many family members who have served, but only one who lost his life in combat. He was my Dad's uncle and he was killed in the Phillipines during WWII. His grave is too far away for us to travel to, but we had it cleaned up and flowers place on it from afar.

1.jpg

I plan to drive over this weekend. He lost 3 sons in the civil war, the rest of children are long gone. His grandchildren are also gone, all who would have known him in person. He has many descendants scattered all over the country. But I'm one of the few who knows who he was... I think it important to recognize his service.

Henry Logan Tent sma.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jim.

Was invited to a reunion his outfit had a few years ago and got to meet a bunch of the guys he served with. Great bunch of guys.

Your dad was there 1 year ahead of me.
66 was a rough year , our guys hadn't learned all of Charlie's stinking tricks yet..
All were rough years.

He was truly a hero.

Jim

From what I know none of the years were easy. But you are right, 66 was early in the learnin curve. Tunnels everywhere. I met one of the tunnel rats at the reunion. I feel bad for him, he still dealt with serious issues from his time there mentally. I can't imagine what he went thru.

IMO all the folks that went and fought were heros.

My dad's dad never talked about any war In my presence so I never thought he was in any. WWI, I finally realized it the last couple of years because of a few family papers, letters, etc., that I have in my possession.
Par tried to enlist for that war. At the time he had 5 kids and was missing 1.5 fingers on one hand. For some reason the govt turned him away.

Last edited:
My dad was in the Army even though he did not die in combat.

I have not been a good son in attending his grave at all.
Always living multiple states away and now in a distant country.

When he was alive we had many bitter political disagreements.
Now that I am older ... it is eerie but I look just like he did my age.

Bring in the military is a hard job but I can't imagine how hard it is during this pandemic and isolation.
I'm sure it has interfered with many not going home on leave or those in foreign nations and here at home that cn't have visiters.so a special thanks and prayer for these men and women in service today.

I did not die because I did not fly
but my plane would come back shot all to hell

picture this in your head
A lowly airman is standing on the flight line with 2 flash lights. He is waving the flash lights at a B-52 that has just landed, he is telling the pilot to follow him. he will point to the parking spot as he walks backwards waving the plane in. he sees out the corner of his eye flashing lights.
the lowly airman turns his head and sees every piece of emergency equipment the base owns behiins him and everyone. except him. dressed in fire proof suits. My plane is on fire and is loaded with some pretty nasty stuff
LOL this airman just figured out what the term GI really stands for, Government Issue
and he is expendable

When and where all 1.2 million plus service men and women died for this nation. 🇺🇸

(Not quoted because I want it easy for all to see. Link is below.)

American Revolution (1775-1783)

Battle Deaths: 4,435

War of 1812 (1812-1815)

Battle Deaths: 2,260

Indian Wars (approx. 1817-1898)

Battle Deaths (VA estimate): 1,000

Mexican War (1846-1848)

Battle Deaths: 1,733

Other Deaths (In Theater): 11,550

Civil War (1861-1865)

Battle Deaths (Union): 140,414

Other Deaths (In Theater)(Union): 224,097

Battle Deaths (Confederate): 74,524

Other Deaths (In Theater)(Confederate): 59,297

Spanish-American War (1898-1902)

Battle Deaths: 385

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 2,061

World War I (1917-1918)

Battle Deaths: 53,402

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 63,114

World War II (1941 –1945)

Battle Deaths: 291,557

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 113,842

Korean War (1950-1953)

Battle Deaths: 33,739

Other Deaths (In Theater): 2,835

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 17,672

Vietnam War (1964-1975)

Battle Deaths: 47,434

Other Deaths (In Theater): 10,786

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 32,000

(These cover period 11/1/55 to 5/15/75)

Desert Shield/Desert Storm (1990-1991)

Battle Deaths: 148

Other Deaths (In Theater): 235

Other Deaths in Service (Non-Theater): 1,565

Global War on Terror, including Iraq and Afghanistan (Oct 2001 - present)

Total Deaths: 6,888.

In addition to those, the State Department Office of the Historian lists the Philippine-American War, 1899 to 1902, citing the deaths of more than 4,200 U.S. combatants.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/memorial-day-12m-people-died-fighting-america/story?id=39475580

Back