Menards new price tags?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWolf

Super Friend
Neighbor
I went the Menards yesterday, all of the outside (yard) items had a QR code for the prices.
To get the price of anything you have to scan the QR.
My cell phone does not have a built-in QR scanner app.

Is this anyplace else? Or just my Menards?
I am pretty grumpy about this.

Menards OR.jpg

Welcome to progress.

I'm guessing with labor costs/storages it's a cost saving move. Don't have to pay labor to change price stickers, just one price update in the store's computer.

I've seen the same thing at a few restaurants. No menus at the tables, just a QR.

At the grocery store last week I asked a kid about the price of an unmarked item. He used his phone to scan the QR code...

I didn't even see the code. So yes, it's here too. I don't like where it's going... Soon we will scan items as we put them in our cart and just pay the total on the way out of the store. No more cashiers.

Soon we will scan items as we put them in our cart and just pay the total on the way out of the store. No more cashiers.

Yes, we will. This technology is in the process of rolling out at the stores. There are several beta test stores around the country doing it now.
Depending on which technology the stores use, in some cases, the carts have a built in sensor that scans the item as you place it in your cart.

start asking for prices - if it takes too much time they will go back to using prices.

Soon we will scan items as we put them in our cart and just pay the total on the way out of the store. No more cashiers.
I suspect there won't even be cashiers. You scan it and put it in a cart, basket, or have it in your hand and you automatically purchased it when you walkout the door.
Shelves stocked by robots, cleaning done by robotic systems and you no longer need employs except for "clean up on aisle 4" and probably not even then.
I think the bar codes will eventually be replaced by QR codes. People that don't have phones to read QR codes will be forced to get one when the government tells the phone companies to discontinue the old phones.

Well, my only phone plugs into the wall. If they do away with that then I won'y have a phone.
People who want to get a hold of me can email me. (I did that for several years and even my job got used to it)

I see groceries becoming more like Aldi also. Bring your own bags, just a few security people near exits. It takes humans out of the equation, not a good thing. People have questions about products, get confused and need a little help... all of that is going the way of the dodo bird. :(

In Washington you either bring a bag, pay 8 cents for each plastic or paper bag or just carry your stuff in your hand. I saw a woman with a cart full of groceries not bagged walking to her car. She had her receipt in her hand so I'm pretty sure she paid but didn't have bags.
Most stores have more self check than actual checkers. The big box stores are getting more self check and less cashiers. They have 8 self check stations and one person helping all of them. You either love or hate self check.
Costco had 10 self check and 3 regular cashiers.
They are training the masses to think this is normal and it is.

If I work at a store I expect to get paid. I like the checkout folks and they are nice to me.

Wife went to Fred Meyer (Kohl's) and for the first time there were no bags, neither paper nor plastic. They said they couldn't get them.

If I work at a store I expect to get paid. I like the checkout folks and they are nice to me.

Thats what I tell them when they try to steer me to the self check outs. "Self check outs are open. Do I get a discount? No, then I'm not doing your job for you."

Latest posts

Back