Metals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Silver and prices are being discussed in the Prepping area.
Is this the area where working of metals would be discussed?
I still have a bunch of copper (given to my husband for me) and a lot of fluid for something my husband was going to do...that might have had to do with silver. Wondering if anyone could share their knowledge and experiences about working with metals or anything helpful about metals.

Copper is easy to work with but if you are going to work it a lot you will need a method to anneal it. Annealing is done quickly if you heat it to 800F for 5 to 8 seconds, There is no need to quench it because the heat does the annealing. You can spin it, hammer it, break it (sharp bends), or swage it.

Silver and prices are being discussed in the Prepping area.
Is this the area where working of metals would be discussed?
I still have a bunch of copper (given to my husband for me) and a lot of fluid for something my husband was going to do...that might have had to do with silver. Wondering if anyone could share their knowledge and experiences about working with metals or anything helpful about metals.
What is tour goal?

Metal working metallurgy is a broad field.

Throw us a bone and we may be of more help.

Ben

Me? Goals? :p:rolleyes:
More of looking for ideas that I do not have and hoped someone would just talk shop cuz I don't have a shop and no know-how. My man was tossing around the idea of doing something with silver, couldn't tell you what.....I still have these big liquid containers full of solution and I couldn't say what is in it but pretty sure it had something to do with silver. He had great ideas. (I still haven't found his silver, did he have any? No one knows).
Copper...I have it as wire and strand, and just a couple small flat sheets of sticky copper.
I have a bracelet type thing made of copper and brass and it never discolors on my skin, and a matching ring that has lost its shine (because I wash my hands while wearing the ring). I wanted to make something more like it but wondered how.
Plus, was wondering about pipe (tube) wind chimes. The ends of them, do they remain sharp? What would I do so they are smooth on the ends?

More of looking for ideas that I do not have and hoped someone would just talk shop cuz I don't have a shop and no know-how. My man was tossing around the idea of doing something with silver, couldn't tell you what.....I still have these big liquid containers full of solution and I couldn't say what is in it but pretty sure it had something to do with silver. He had great ideas. (I still haven't found his silver, did he have any? No one knows).
Copper...I have it as wire and strand, and just a couple small flat sheets of sticky copper.
I have a bracelet type thing made of copper and brass and it never discolors on my skin, and a matching ring that has lost its shine (because I wash my hands while wearing the ring). I wanted to make something more like it but wondered how.
Plus, was wondering about pipe (tube) wind chimes. The ends of them, do they remain sharp? What would I do so they are smooth on the ends?
Copper can work like butter - a mild grinder/sander for the ends of the pipe would smooth them out. Sorry I'm not much help with the jewelry making or machining. Might also think of along the ways of garden art. Copper in a rain chain could be very pretty.

Copper can work like butter - a mild grinder/sander for the ends of the pipe would smooth them out. Sorry I'm not much help with the jewelry making or machining. Might also think of along the ways of garden art. Copper in a rain chain could be very pretty.
this was one thing I was thinking of but currently have gutters and downspouts on this house (unlike previous TX homes that did not). I wonder how a rainchain would work where the rain gushes out of the gutter, ruining the flower bed below?

I don't think anyone addressed the gallons of solution and where's the silver. I've played with lapidary arts and metal working. That does not make me an expert. But it did cause me to research a lot. I would GUESS the solution is a silver plate solution. It doesn't take much silver to make a plating solution, or that is ready made. Copper and copper plating is the best base for silver or gold plating.
This still may not answer your questions, but it should give you something to think about.
I love creating things but I'm horrible at sticking to one medium.

Excellent! No, no responses on the solution. You are probably right about it. He knew a lot more than he let on. Wasn't sneaky, just did his own thing. And yes, where's the silver? :D

I have a small machine shop with metal lathe, milling machine, welder, and other metal working machines. I also have a coal forge and soon to have a propane forge. I have always scavenged metal and I have quite a bit. Mostly steel but a good supply of lead and brass along with a some copper. I enjoy making things and spend a lot of my time in my shop.

Last edited:
Some of the videos seem very helpful. I'll bet I know a couple of guys around my area that would know how to work with all this stuff that y'all are mentioning. One in particular, who makes rocket stoves, wild hog pens, and other cool stuff is an engineer. He spends his retirement time improving his homestead all the time too.

Guys are playing in the smithy beating on metal singing the "hammer and anvil" song.
IMG_6841.jpg
IMG_6842.jpg

Some of the videos seem very helpful. I'll bet I know a couple of guys around my area that would know how to work with all this stuff that y'all are mentioning. One in particular, who makes rocket stoves, wild hog pens, and other cool stuff is an engineer. He spends his retirement time improving his homestead all the time too.
My most used tool is a oak block that I've gouged some hollow divots into the top. There is a couple different sized divots. Maybe a 6 inch dia and a 3 inch dia. I'll take a disc of copper and using a hammer use the divot to form a bowl

The "solution" might have been part of a process for removing silver from items that were silver plated. "Might" be a kind of bath solution for scrap junk/trash silver coated/plated (maybe silver ware) is put into to a tank (could be small) and using a negative electric trickle charge removes the silver platting slowly, maybe overnight.

In any event be careful, the solution might be an acid or a base solution.

Last edited:
Back