MIA, decompressing, doctors, canning...oh my

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Star_Chick

Psalm 23
Neighbor
My husband and I are still coming to terms with recent news about my health. We decided to have time just for us, and talk through things. We have a course of action and faith, and that is good for us.
Also, since that time I’ve scheduled 4MRIs. I’ve also made appointments with cardiology, neurology, rheumatology, and primary care. I’m still waiting on an appointment with hematology, and to meet with my neurosurgeon. Geez, 36 years old and I collect doctors like I collect PEZ dispensers! Lol
Well, for good news, and a lesson. Green hatch chili season is upon us! My husband picked up two cases of the roasted chili’s, we canned 36 pints, and made green chili stew. Seriously, I was born, and mostly raised in NM, hatch chili runs through my veins! Anyways, it’s fair to say I’ve gotten over my fear of eating my home canned stuff! It was nice to use the chicken stock I canned, and some fresh veggies from my garden, to make the stew! Best stew I’ve had in some time.
Well, now for the lesson. Due to health complications my husband is very strongly against me opening the pressure canner. He has to do it for fear I’ll burn myself. Well, after canning I wanted to help. I snuck into the kitchen, yes like a child. Lol Went to the canner, and well let’s just say one third degree burn and a second degree burn later I learned my lesson. Lol My husband got mad at me, bandaged my hands (thank god I married a medic), and sent my butt to bed. I crashed out, and am now watching TV and relaxing.

My husband and I are still coming to terms with recent news about my health. We decided to have time just for us, and talk through things. We have a course of action and faith, and that is good for us.
Also, since that time I’ve scheduled 4MRIs. I’ve also made appointments with cardiology, neurology, rheumatology, and primary care. I’m still waiting on an appointment with hematology, and to meet with my neurosurgeon. Geez, 36 years old and I collect doctors like I collect PEZ dispensers! Lol
Well, for good news, and a lesson. Green hatch chili season is upon us! My husband picked up two cases of the roasted chili’s, we canned 36 pints, and made green chili stew. Seriously, I was born, and mostly raised in NM, hatch chili runs through my veins! Anyways, it’s fair to say I’ve gotten over my fear of eating my home canned stuff! It was nice to use the chicken stock I canned, and some fresh veggies from my garden, to make the stew! Best stew I’ve had in some time.
Well, now for the lesson. Due to health complications my husband is very strongly against me opening the pressure canner. He has to do it for fear I’ll burn myself. Well, after canning I wanted to help. I snuck into the kitchen, yes like a child. Lol Went to the canner, and well let’s just say one third degree burn and a second degree burn later I learned my lesson. Lol My husband got mad at me, bandaged my hands (thank god I married a medic), and sent my butt to bed. I crashed out, and am now watching TV and relaxing.
I am very independent and have hurt myself because I wanted to do things by myself. Things like this happen in order for us to get it and to let others help us.

Do you have a recipe for Green Chile?

My daughter and I were talking about it. We usually get at least one bushel and then freeze them in bags to use throughout the year. We have decided to do what a former colleague of mine does, make a huge batch of chile all at once, using all of them, freeze it in meal size units, and then we can pull it out of the freezer when we want some. I looked to see if pork shoulders or pork butts were on sale this weekend, but they are not. We have a whole month to watch for a sale, but a three day weekend would have given us an extra day to process all of it.

:ghostly: glad it was not real serious. Hope it heals quickly.

Star, e:ghostly:. Ever tried food for healing?

Something to the saying, " let your food be your medicine and your medicine your food." This is proven by the Japanese and certain Siberians. Just a thought that I am trying now for myself too.

Maybe others have different canners than me. I've never burned myself on mine. Never can even remember a close call. The lid locks on when the steam builds pressure and unlocks when the pressure is off. I also don't try to rush it. It takes a long time to do a batch, that's just the way it is. It takes a long time for the steam to build and it takes a long time for the pressure to release.

Anyway, I hope the burns heal quickly and that they're not hurting too badly. Take care!

:ghostly: glad it was not real serious. Hope it heals quickly.

Star, e:ghostly:. Ever tried food for healing?

Something to the saying, " let your food be your medicine and your medicine your food." This is proven by the Japanese and certain Siberians. Just a thought that I am trying now for myself too.
Part of my health issues stems from a car accident when I was 19. They had to use the jaws of life to get me out of the car. I starred the window three times, bent the head rest fully back, and made a huge dent in the dashboard. The doctors thought I was lucky that I only sustained minor injuries. None of us knew at that time I had something called a syrinx in my thoracic spine. The syrinx would bite me in the butt 15 years later. The syrinx has created a situation where I now have another one pushing on my brain stem. I wish I could go back to when I was 19 and put my seatbelt on!

Part of my health issues stems from a car accident when I was 19. They had to use the jaws of life to get me out of the car. I starred the window three times, bent the head rest fully back, and made a huge dent in the dashboard. The doctors thought I was lucky that I only sustained minor injuries. None of us knew at that time I had something called a syrinx in my thoracic spine. The syrinx would bite me in the butt 15 years later. The syrinx has created a situation where I now have another one pushing on my brain stem. I wish I could go back to when I was 19 and put my seatbelt on!

I understand , accidents have a way of comign back to us later in life.

A guy at my husband’s work offered to buy some jars. Lol Then someone else asked for my recipe. Not happening. My green chili stew and potato salad recipes are held tight.
I don't understand this. If they have your green chili stew and potato salad recipes, then what?

Latest posts

Back