Mid 1800's secretary desk

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havasu

Internet Constable
Staff member
Admin
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Been in my family since new. Not as much as a valuable piece of furniture, but it is a family heirloom, and means alot to me. When I was 6-7 years old, it was at my grandma's house, and in the bedroom I used. Once my grandma died, it went to my older sister, until her passing in 2019. Her husband knew it was important to me, so he arranged to meet
20211124_133831.jpg
20211124_133821.jpg
and I got it back. Although it was broken up and scratches everywhere, with broken drawers. My daughter expressed interest in it, so I spent the last week making it solid again, and gave it a color matched stain, and ready for my daughter tomorrow.

Been in my family since new. Not as much as a valuable piece of furniture, but it is a family heirloom, and means alot to me. When I was 6-7 years old, it was at my grandma's house, and in the bedroom I used. Once my grandma died, it went to my older sister, until her passing in 2019. Her husband knew it was important to me, so he arranged to meetView attachment 76042View attachment 76043 and I got it back. Although it was broken up and scratches everywhere, with broken drawers. My daughter expressed interest in it, so I spent the last week making it solid again, and gave it a color matched stain, and ready for my daughter tomorrow.
That is beautiful!

Ben

Nice! I love old desks but they are so impractical for modern use. I had a big roll top from the 30's, built with mahogany and mahogany veneer. It even had a spring loaded secretary that folded out. It was for mounting a typewriter. When folded up it was hidden in the desk, including the typewriter. The 3 drawers on the left side of the base was a false front for the secretary.

Even in 2 pieces it was heavy!. Took 3 people to move it. The entire upper part was made to come off. It needed a lot of work so I finally traded to someone with a good wood shop who restored a lot of furniture. He could do it justice.

I would love to have something like yours. It has the beauty and doesn't take up half a room.

Nice desk! My dad had one like that. I am not sure which one of us kids got it after he passed.

I have my Gpa's desk that came over in a covered wagon. At one time, it had the glass enclosed shelves that go on top, but that wouldn't make the trip. It's smaller than yours but I love it just the same.
Yours is a beauty. Your daughter is going to be thrilled!

My sister has our grandma's. It is in beautiful condition. I'm sure it must have belonged to one of her family members, maybe her dad. It is slightly similar to the one you posted with the drop leaf/fold up writing area, three drawers, and the slots for storing papers and such. The wood is darker.

I had one similar to that when I was growing up. It had a drawer or two above the desk but it wasn't nearly as ornate. I did a lot of homework at that desk. My brothers did a number on it after I went in the service. Then Mom decide that avocado green would make it look better. Sad. Lost track of it.

It is a beautiful piece of furniture, and you did a great job of refinishing. Looks brand new!! It will be a wonderful memory for you and your daughter.

Back